Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-21-2007, 12:28 PM   #1
ChuckOakley
NBA lottery pick

ChuckOakley is popular on this boardChuckOakley is popular on this boardChuckOakley is popular on this boardChuckOakley is popular on this boardChuckOakley is popular on this board
Default Rate New Jersey's Big Men

How would you compare the Net's frontcourt this season relative to the other teams in the East or the NBA in general?

Granted they still don't have the JO or Gasol type player they wanted to land but they still have:

Nenad Krstic - who, while coming off sugrery, was showing he could be a 17/7type player with one of the better jumpers from a big man.

Jamal Magloire - No, he's not an all-star anymore, nor did he ever really deserve to be, he still is a tough player with good offensive and defensive skills.

Malik Allen - The next Mikki Moore? He has a nice shot and is good vet to have off the bench.

Josh Boone - Another player coming off surgery. He showed in stretches last year he has nice hands, but still lacked much intensity.

Sean Williams - Raw, but talented. Not much should be expected of him this season, but then again he has the tools to be a good fastbreak and defensive player.

Jason Collins - Yeah, yeah. We know how much his offense sux, and some think even his defense is overrated. I, for one, do not think his defense or contributions to the team in general are overrated.
ChuckOakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 12:30 PM   #2
VCMVP1551
NBA sixth man of the year

VCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this board
Default Re: Rate New Jersey's Big Men

Magloireaveraged nearly a double double in 05'-06' with Milwaukee he was just a bad fit in Portland. I think they have a solid frontcourt..2 legit starters, a very talented young PF, and the most important thing for a team trying to contend everyone of their big men are veterans except Krstic and Williams.
VCMVP1551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 01:04 PM   #3
ChuckOakley
NBA lottery pick

ChuckOakley is popular on this boardChuckOakley is popular on this boardChuckOakley is popular on this boardChuckOakley is popular on this boardChuckOakley is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCMVP1551
Magloireaveraged nearly a double double in 05'-06' with Milwaukee he was just a bad fit in Portland. I think they have a solid frontcourt..2 legit starters, a very talented young PF, and the most important thing for a team trying to contend everyone of their big men are veterans except Krstic and Williams.

I almost consider Krstic a veteran or at least a seasoned player by now. He has been with this team for 3 years and was thrown into the fire halfway through his rookie campaign. He has produced the entire time, other than his playoff collapse against Miami the 2nd time around... even the 1st time around he played Miami well. He also has foreign team experience to build upon.

The other thing I like about this team is their abililty to play good individual and team D and often times neutralize the frontcourt players on the other team that appear to have a big advantage on paper.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:06 PM   #4
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

Y2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected poster

Certainly above average, but I'd say damned good. They have good rebounding at the 4-5 starter spots. I think you can expect double digits form both, or near it in Magloire's case. And they've got capable guys off the bench to replace them.

The perfect scenario is if Williams or Boone can step up and become starter quality in order to add some athleticism for Kidd to run with, but still.
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 01:08 PM   #5
Los Angeles
A Diamond In the Rough

Los Angeles has an OK reputation so far

Magloire, Kristic, Jefferson, Carter, Kidd...no reason why this team can't be the #1 seed in the east.
Los Angeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 01:08 PM   #6
JalenRawley
Local High School Star

JalenRawley has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckOakley
Nenad Krstic - who, while coming off sugrery, was showing he could be a 17/7type player with one of the better jumpers from a big man.

It's going to depend entirely on if he lost anything being out all season last year. If he's at least as good as he was the year before, or on track in improving from there, he'll definitely be an asset for them. He's got good range and isn't afraid to mix it up inside. I really don't know where he's at in his recovery/rehabilitation, but I wouldn't imagine he'd be starting right away.. but who knows? If he's not starting by the all star break, something's definitely wrong.

Quote:
Jamaal Magloire - No, he's not an all-star anymore, nor did he ever really deserve to be, he still is a tough player with good offensive and defensive skills.
I didn't get to see him at all last year in Portland, but he never had anything all that great or flashy to his game anyway. His one all star year was a fluke, but his production with the Hornets was a result of consistency and effort. As long as he's willing to do that in Jersey, he'll be fine. I'd be shocked at anything less than 11ppg and 8rpg, but I think he'll be more like 14-15ppg and just over 10rpg.

Quote:
Malik Allen - The next Mikki Moore? He has a nice shot and is good vet to have off the bench.

Definitely not. I think Magloire or Boone will be their Mikki Moore replacement. I got to watch a -lot- of Malik Allen here last season. He's great when it comes to putting forth an effort and has a really good jump shot for his size, but every time he does something well he just gives off this feeling that you're literally seeing him playing at the best of his ability. Malik really reminded me of Bill Wennington, and as big, slow, old and fairly one dimensional as old Beef Wellington was, you still couldn't sleep on him because he'd drill that outside J all day long and could still board and bang, hes just not starter material because he cant do it consistently, and he cant do much more than that. A great backup to have, but not if you need to rely on him.

Quote:
Josh Boone - Another player coming off surgery. He showed in stretches last year he has nice hands, but still lacked much intensity.
He seemed like he was really feeling things out last year, especially coming off of his original injury. Even though hes coming off of another surgery, hell at least be in familiar territory and hopefully wont have as much of a deer in the headlights reaction. What he did show in very little time was promising though, and made Moore expendable.

Quote:
Jason Collins - Yeah, yeah. We know how much his offense sux, and some think even his defense is overrated. I, for one, do not think his defense or contributions to the team in general are overrated.

Im with you. I dont think Jason Collins is overrated at all, but then again Im a Chicagoan, were used to having less important players in the middle. Just put in a big guy to give me the ball back so I can shoot again! However, Collins is a smart basketball player. Last year they were running all of those shows on NBA training camps on NBA.com TV and you got to see just how much the team works with, through and relies upon Twin. He knows their offense better than some of the coaches and I think you can pretty much book it now that hell end up being an assistant coach with Lawrence Frank as soon as his playing days are over. Its his knowledge of the offense, his attention to the little details, the effort he puts in, and the lack of ego over stats that make Jason Collins an important asset to the Nets. Hes only been starting out of necessity, and once he can pass that role over to Magloire, hell be a valuable reserve for them.

The Nets look really good on paper, but unfortunately they tend to be just about as fragile as paper. If they can stay healthy, they should go a little deeper into the playoffs this year, but thats a big if. Especially since for the last few seasons there have been plenty of major injuries to key players really early in the season. I doubt the Nets will come through unscathed.
JalenRawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 01:10 PM   #7
VCMVP1551

VCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this board

I think the Nets will suprise everyone. Kidd is good for 13 ppg, 7 rpg and 9 apg every year, Carter has averaged about 26 ppg since joining New Jersey and this year started training back for the upcoming season in May, Jefferson had a whole offseason to get healthy again same goes for Krstic plsu they have added frontcourt depth and some of their young players should get better.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:24 PM   #8
Da KO King

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

Interior play will be the Nets biggest weakness. The only interior player the Nets have that can effectively play the screen and roll game which dominate the offense is Nenad Krstic.

That's why Mikki Moore looked so good last season. The Nets offense is dominated by the one thing Moore does well, screen and roll.

The offensive questions plus the fact that none of the guys are especially good defenders to me means that interior play is the biggest question mark and hardly something to be confident about.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 01:45 PM   #9
ChuckOakley
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
Interior play will be the Nets biggest weakness. The only interior player the Nets have that can effectively play the screen and roll game which dominate the offense is Nenad Krstic.

That's why Mikki Moore looked so good last season. The Nets offense is dominated by the one thing Moore does well, screen and roll.

The offensive questions plus the fact that none of the guys are especially good defenders to me means that interior play is the biggest question mark and hardly something to be confident about.

I'd call Collins and Magloire good defenders. I also would not call any one else a below average defender upfront. I'm not sure about last year's stats, but the Nets for the 2 years prior to last were among the leaders in fewest points in the paint allowed. Also, with Frank's defensive schemes, the interior defense is pretty solid. Their two biggest weakness up front were rebounding and shotblocking which should be aided by the additions of Magloire and Sean Williams. Josh Boone may also end up making some strides defensively as he's added upper body strength in his rehab as has Krstic. Speaking of strides.. they're saying Marcus Williams has looked amazing this offseason and has shed alot of pounds.

Last edited by ChuckOakley : 09-21-2007 at 01:48 PM.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:55 PM   #10
ForceOfNature
In It to Win It

ForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputation

Krstic - good rebounder, good post scorer, needs a little work on his defense and durability.

Magloire - great rebounder, good post scorer, needs consistency.

Boone - still young, good finisher at the rim, needs to work on post moves and durability.

Allen - good mid-range shooter, good rebounder, needs to improve offense a bit.

Williams - good athleticism, needs to fine-tune his game more and work on his attitude.

Collins - decent defender, needs to work on offense, rebounding, and conditioning.
ForceOfNature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 09:16 AM   #11
wally_world
M0derator

wally_world has decent reputationwally_world has decent reputation

Collins deserve to be last because he's paid so much... i see Josh Boone taking over Mikki Moore's spot... young player with good up-side...
wally_world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 10:06 AM   #12
VCMVP1551

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally_world
Collins deserve to be last because he's paid so much... i see Josh Boone taking over Mikki Moore's spot... young player with good up-side...

Boone had a game where he went 10 for 10 or something. Nobody noticed because VC had a monster game but Boone showed a lot of potential at times.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:58 AM   #13
Da KO King

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCMVP1551
Boone had a game where he went 10 for 10 or something. Nobody noticed because VC had a monster game but Boone showed a lot of potential at times.
Boone is a chocha and you're setting yourself up to be pissed off expecting him to "break out".
Old 09-22-2007, 01:07 PM   #14
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here

KO King, while I agree with you for the most part, I've been thoroughly impressed with Boone. I wasn't big on him in college cause of his weak play, especially with Jai Lewis destroying him...But it seems as if he just played his game last year, credit Jason Kidd or Bill Cartwright, but I'm hopeful for him to be a solid guy.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 01:15 PM   #15
Da KO King

Quote:
Originally Posted by wang4three
KO King, while I agree with you for the most part, I've been thoroughly impressed with Boone. I wasn't big on him in college cause of his weak play, especially with Jai Lewis destroying him...But it seems as if he just played his game last year, credit Jason Kidd or Bill Cartwright, but I'm hopeful for him to be a solid guy.
I have no faith in Boone at all. He's a doesn't always come with the same "motor".

He's from Maryland and all the guys I spoke to that watched him during HS/AAU said he was the same way back then. Until I truly see that switch flip in his head he's on my chump list.

Hopefully, he'll finally "get it" and prove me wrong.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: