Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-05-2007, 08:49 AM   #1
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default what is your favorite aspect of the game? Why do you follow? (stragegy/psychological)

Do you follow the game because you are intensly interested in the x's/o's and the stragegy involved? Can you name plays that teams are running/know what the triangle offense is? (for example). Can you point out aspects of the game in which certain players best perform at, and where they should be at on the court? Or, do you follow the game and love it from the psychological standpoint? Meaning, you don't really know strategy too well, but you love the individual/team matchups and the different juicy angles that are covered by the media. Do you live for the drama, in other words?

I think I am somewhere in the middle. Many on ISH can pretty much run circles around me when it comes to talking strategy. I just find the human element of the game to be most fascinating.

What does ISH think?
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 08:59 AM   #2
WADE MONEY
I hit open jumpers.

WADE MONEY has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: what is your favorite aspect of the game? Why do you follow? (stragegy/psychological)

as a teen, I thought the enjoyable aspects of the NBA were all about the individual matchups, the highlight reels, and who averaged the most number of points. But recently, I have started appreciating the teamwork and X's and O's aspect of the game a lot more. Also, I think great defense, like that played by the bulls against the cavs in the 93 playoffs, is one of the most entertaining parts of the game.

I guess my taste has matured in recent years, to the point where guys like Jason Richardson, Steve Francis, Stromile Swift, Lebron, and even to an extent, Vince Carter, do much less for me than guys like Duncan, Nash, Tony Parker, Nowitzki etc, who don't fit the mold of the high flying Jordan clone, but still use their skills to win MANY more games than any of those previous guys I listed.
WADE MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:14 AM   #3
gb8
Extra Cheese

gb8 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: what is your favorite aspect of the game? Why do you follow? (stragegy/psychologi

I love it all, from the individual brilliance to team greatness. From the zone defense to the princeton offense. To the perfect pick and pop to great footwork in the post. I love the high flying dunks and the fundamentally sound jumpshot. I love this game completely.
gb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:42 AM   #4
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

dejordan has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: what is your favorite aspect of the game? Why do you follow? (stragegy/psychologi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb8
I love it all, from the individual brilliance to team greatness. From the zone defense to the princeton offense. To the perfect pick and pop to great footwork in the post. I love the high flying dunks and the fundamentally sound jumpshot. I love this game completely.
well said! i know a lot of people who prefer football to basketball generally and the nfl to the nba in particular, and when they ask why i like basketball i always give pretty much the same answer.

i try to tell them that the attraction to the nba begins with the transcendant individual play (which i think is why so many kids were drawn to jordan in my day and to kobe today) but then when you start to learn the intricacies of strategy and to be able to understand what everyone of the team is doing, you really get a deep appreciation for the sport.

that stuff is all sort of explained in football. the positional differences are obvious. there are long game breaks between each play where the reasoning of the coaches and execution of the plays are examined in detail.

the amount of adjustments and countermoves that happen between timeouts in an nba game and the speed at which they take place is amazing to watch. i think the new mode of announcing where they try to be infotaining instead of really to break down the play as it happens is not good for the fans because we don't educated the way we used to on a play by play basis.
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:11 AM   #5
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation
Default Re: what is your favorite aspect of the game? Why do you follow? (stragegy/psychological)

Strictly X’s & O’s.

I watch the game the way an advanced scout would. I try to remain unattached emotionally from the game on the floor.

Only team I struggle to not view the way a fan would are the Knicks. I grew up watching them so it’s hard sometimes not to get nostalgic.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:14 AM   #6
gb8
Extra Cheese

gb8 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejordan
well said! i know a lot of people who prefer football to basketball generally and the nfl to the nba in particular, and when they ask why i like basketball i always give pretty much the same answer.

i try to tell them that the attraction to the nba begins with the transcendant individual play (which i think is why so many kids were drawn to jordan in my day and to kobe today) but then when you start to learn the intricacies of strategy and to be able to understand what everyone of the team is doing, you really get a deep appreciation for the sport.

that stuff is all sort of explained in football. the positional differences are obvious. there are long game breaks between each play where the reasoning of the coaches and execution of the plays are examined in detail.

the amount of adjustments and countermoves that happen between timeouts in an nba game and the speed at which they take place is amazing to watch. i think the new mode of announcing where they try to be infotaining instead of really to break down the play as it happens is not good for the fans because we don't educated the way we used to on a play by play basis.

Thanks, like really I love all levels of the game aswell. I know when I see even kids playing I can take joy from their play even if the level is not the highest.
gb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:22 AM   #7
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter

Richie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

It's really the strategical stand point that attracts me mostly. Rock solid defensive strategies, offensive tactics, plays ran to exact perfection resulting in a positive benefit, it's all very appealing to me. That's why if a team like San Antonio faced a team like Detroit, it doesn't bore me very much. People say that matchup is boring because neither team has a highlight reel player. People say Duncan is boring because he's unbelievably fundamentally sound. But to me, I don't find him very boring. Watching the best big man in the game dominate down low, toy with the defense at times, and do things at will? That's not boring - that's tactical expertise. Because he doesn't dunk like Vince Carter or pass like Steve Nash, he's labeled as boring by casual fans, which is really what's wrong with basketball today.

Too many fans watch games for dunks and alley-oops and who scores the most points, rather than teamwork, offensive and defensive strategies and a general good basketball game. I'd pick watching Duncan vs Garnett for strategy and entertainment over Kobe vs Nash for dunks and passes anyday. To a lot of fans, it's whoever scores the most who is known as the best player; really, that's an unfortunate way people look at it, because it's really sad that today, casual fans don't understand the game itself rather than the scoreboard.

Learning offensive and defensive plays, player bios, statistics, that's all fun for me. It makes me feel more knowledgable, being someone who knows a lot about the game of basketball rather than someone who knows who scored the most points last night. That's probably why it's hard to find people in the real world nowadays to talk about and debate about real basketball, and not be very biased.

Plus, another thing that brings me to love basketball is the mental stand point. Clutch time with the game on the line, the dying seconds, that's what really entertains me. Knowing the game is on the line, right here and right now, it's the ultimate sports feeling. The mental aspect of basketball is often overlooked, but it's the moments where it realyl matters in a game, where superstars are born, in the playoffs and in crunch time. I'd rather watch the Spurs and Pistons duke it out from the starting minute to the buzzer with it being close all the way through, neck and neck, rather than Kobe scoring 81, to be honest. To me, watching a team with no highlight reel dunker or flashy passer, it doesn't matter. I don't need that to be entertained.

Just a good game of basketball with two teams playing smart and well.
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:49 AM   #8
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie2k6
It's really the strategical stand point that attracts me mostly... San Antonio faced a team like Detroit, it doesn't bore me very much.....

I'd pick watching Duncan vs Garnett for strategy and entertainment over Kobe vs Nash for dunks and passes anyday....
Sorry but I'd rather watch Suns vs Lakers. Especially Kobe is playing smart basketball.

The contrasting styles of the teams would make for a more intriguing game.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:55 AM   #9
Agent_Zero
Great college starter

Agent_Zero is considered somewhat coolAgent_Zero is considered somewhat cool

Personally, I love strategy. Don't know why. For some reason when I'm playing organized ball, I'm the coach-player.
Agent_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:58 AM   #10
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_Zero
Personally, I love strategy. Don't know why. For some reason when I'm playing organized ball, I'm the coach-player.

I hope you're on a lunch break young man
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:59 AM   #11
Agent_Zero
Great college starter

Agent_Zero is considered somewhat coolAgent_Zero is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981
I hope you're on a lunch break young man

Newspaper room. Just finished my article, so I got time.
Agent_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:05 PM   #12
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter

Richie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Well right now on the Celtics, I'm sure it would be more entertaining. Garnett vs Duncan, Allen vs Parker, Pierce vs Ginobili. (Though the last two matchups might not be guarding each other.)
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:08 PM   #13
Dizzle-2k7
Go Spurs Go

Dizzle-2k7 is considered somewhat coolDizzle-2k7 is considered somewhat cool

I believe in a Spurs type strategy.. play great defense.. when you need to run, RUN... and when you need to slow it down, feed the bigman downlow.
Dizzle-2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:36 PM   #14
PK3434
Good Golly!

PK3434 has an OK reputation so far

I coach a team of 12-13 year olds and my favorite aspect is teaching a full court press. I have them run a 1-2-1-1. When we run it right, the game is basically over after a 5 minute span of layup after layup. The key is having the first trap being solid and having your best athlete in the middle to intercept passes.
PK3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 01:06 PM   #15
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here

I love the whole paradox of it. I love how it's the ultimate team sport, one in which every player is expected to contribute and can have equal impact no matter what their position (compare this to football or soccer and you'll see what I mean), yet it's also the sport in which the individual can have the greatest impact. It's at once a macro and a micro contest.

It's not about Xs and Os to me. although I can recognize it, to me it's about flow and momentum. I'm a big believer in psychological momentum (and hope to research it someday but that's another story) and basketball is 90% momentum- any team can beat any other team if they master the momentum. I love noticing and actually being able to feel when the tipping point to momentum control has been surpassed and a team gets "hot" and you can feel a run coming.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: