Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-04-2007, 12:25 PM   #1
Valiant Valor
Banned

Valiant Valor has an OK reputation so far
Default ESPN Exclusive: Gets some opinions on '92 Dream Team vs. '07 Team USA

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/column...ris&id=3002943

What do you think?
Valiant Valor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 01:57 PM   #2
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

RainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: ESPN Speaks!!!: Gives their take on '92 Dream Team vs. '07 Team USA

Terry Lyons, former NBA vice president of international public relations, who handled media relations chores for every U.S. senior national team since '92:
"I have to say it's apples and oranges. Totally different. I'd have to say the '92 team because of the experience would have the edge. But I think this team, by far, is quicker, younger and more athletic, but the '92 team could really score up the middle. Mailman [Karl Malone] and Charles Barkley inside, [Patrick] Ewing and David Robinson up the middle were a lot to handle. But I'd love to see a game [between them]."

this nails it on the head for me

i would add, that the original dream team had better ball movement/teamwork. this current squad is younger and does play more like the colts that they are. the 92 squad squad was more seasoned
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 02:09 PM   #3
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

MaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this board

Quote:
"When '92 came, Larry Bird was already coming out [of the NBA], Magic was coming out. Those guys were legends, but this team is a great, talented team."

Hmmm, when I reminded people of this a week or so ago, a lot of posters maintained that '92 Magic and Bird were better than Lebron and Carmelo are right now. I don't think this particular quote will be received favorably.
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 02:29 PM   #4
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: ESPN Exclusive: Gets some opinions on '92 Dream Team vs. '07 Team USA

Magic and Bird didn't exactly suck that year, Max.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 02:34 PM   #5
Valiant Valor
Banned

Valiant Valor has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: ESPN Exclusive: Gets some opinions on '92 Dream Team vs. '07 Team USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
Magic and Bird didn't exactly suck that year, Max.
Regardless, they were not better than Melo and LeBron.

Why can't people accept Melo and LeBron might have put on 2 of the top 4 most efficient, dominating performances in Team USA history.
Valiant Valor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 04:28 PM   #6
chains5000
From Out Of Nowhere

chains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

If Team USA plays the same way in a worldwide competition (Olympics or World Championships) then you can start making comparisons to the original dream team.
If I'm not mistaken, the team the USA sent to the last American qualifiers (with Iverson?) also won with ease, even beating a better Argentinian team. What happened to them then? Failure.
I don't mean the same will happen this time, as this team is clearly superior to that one and looks like a real "team", but I think it's to early to claim they're equal (or superior) to the best team ever assembled.
chains5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 06:14 PM   #7
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

Y2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chains5000
If Team USA plays the same way in a worldwide competition (Olympics or World Championships) then you can start making comparisons to the original dream team.
If I'm not mistaken, the team the USA sent to the last American qualifiers (with Iverson?) also won with ease, even beating a better Argentinian team. What happened to them then? Failure.
I don't mean the same will happen this time, as this team is clearly superior to that one and looks like a real "team", but I think it's to early to claim they're equal (or superior) to the best team ever assembled.

But only 2 players from that qualifier team even played in the OLympics, Im sure you know that, so don't try to screw people's minds. Had that same team been sent, they'd have won the Olympics. They had shooters, JO and Duncan, VC, etc.... Much better than what we sent. Not to mention that idiot Brown didn't even play player he should've played. In the exhibition games of the Olympics Melo was the 2nd leading scorer after Duncan, and didn't get to play when it counted. He was the epitome of the arrogant attitude of we can just throw anybody out there and win.

Carmelo at the time had international expirience, and should've been playing over RJ/Odom...Lebron too. Atleast getting 12-15 minutes off the bench
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 06:41 PM   #8
Noob Saibot
NBA lottery pick

Noob Saibot is a pretty well-respected posterNoob Saibot is a pretty well-respected posterNoob Saibot is a pretty well-respected posterNoob Saibot is a pretty well-respected poster

Jordan, Drexler, Magic, Bird, & Pippen vs LeBron, Melo, Kobe, Kidd.

the 92 backcourt just has too many weapons on it.

the same can be said for the front court matchups.

Barkley, Robinson, Malone, Ewing vs Amare, Dwight, Prince, & Chandler.
Noob Saibot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 06:44 PM   #9
Noob Saibot
NBA lottery pick

Noob Saibot is a pretty well-respected posterNoob Saibot is a pretty well-respected posterNoob Saibot is a pretty well-respected posterNoob Saibot is a pretty well-respected poster

Jordan, Drexler, Magic, Bird, & Pippen vs LeBron, Melo, Kobe, Kidd.

the 92 backcourt just has too many weapons on it.

the same can be said for the front court matchups.

Barkley, Robinson, Malone, Ewing vs Amare, Dwight, Prince, & Chandler.
Noob Saibot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 07:35 PM   #10
redhonda76
Go NY GO NY GO

redhonda76 is considered somewhat coolredhonda76 is considered somewhat cool

Inside Offense: Huge Edge
Ewing, Robinson, Malone, Barkey > Chandler, Howard, Amare

Outside Shooting: Huge Edge
Bird, Mullin, Stockon > Redd, Miller

Rebound: Edge

Passing: Slight Edge
Bird, Magic , Stocken, Pippen, Jordan > Kidd, D Willams, LeBron, Kobe

Defense: Big Edge
Pippen, Jordan, Robinson, Ewing, Stockon > Kobe, Chandler, Howard, Prince

Case Closed
redhonda76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:57 AM   #11
chains5000
From Out Of Nowhere

chains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Gezee
But only 2 players from that qualifier team even played in the OLympics, Im sure you know that, so don't try to screw people's minds. Had that same team been sent, they'd have won the Olympics. They had shooters, JO and Duncan, VC, etc.... Much better than what we sent. Not to mention that idiot Brown didn't even play player he should've played. In the exhibition games of the Olympics Melo was the 2nd leading scorer after Duncan, and didn't get to play when it counted. He was the epitome of the arrogant attitude of we can just throw anybody out there and win.

Carmelo at the time had international expirience, and should've been playing over RJ/Odom...Lebron too. Atleast getting 12-15 minutes off the bench
I was mistaken, I thought the team was not that different from one competition to another.
Anyways, I still think it's too early to compare this team to the original Dream Team. They're really good but they have to beat stronger teams than the ones they've faced.
chains5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:12 AM   #12
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

dejordan has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhonda76
Inside Offense: Huge Edge

Outside Shooting: Huge Edge
Bird, Mullin, Stockon > Redd, Miller

Rebound: Edge

Passing: Slight Edge
Bird, Magic , Stocken, Pippen, Jordan > Kidd, D Willams, LeBron, Kobe

Defense: Big Edge
Pippen, Jordan, Robinson, Ewing, Stockon > Kobe, Chandler, Howard, Prince

Case Closed
that's succinctly put. although i think the best 3 point percentages came from barkley and lebron

i'd add that even though the 07 team has more players with experience playing international ball and more players with experience playing international ball together, they still haven't developed the same level of chemistry that the 92 team had in the olympics (probably because they aren't as veteran on the whole and don't have the teammate factor - jordan & pippen / stockton & malone + all those all-star games played together), but they ought to get there by 08.
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:01 AM   #13
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
i'd add that even though the 07 team has more players with experience playing international ball and more players with experience playing international ball together, they still haven't developed the same level of chemistry that the 92 team had in the olympics (probably because they aren't as veteran on the whole and don't have the teammate factor - jordan & pippen / stockton & malone + all those all-star games played together), but they ought to get there by 08.

Quote:
i would add, that the original dream team had better ball movement/teamwork. this current squad is younger and does play more like the colts that they are. the 92 squad squad was more seasoned

I think this has been at the heart of the issue regarding the entire US basketball program over the last 5 years or so. And in my opinion, it's systemic to the league. The league overexpanded, thinned out rosters, and demolished depth with the salary cap. Of the guys on this team, what percentage of games do the Lakers, Cavs, Nuggets, win when Kobe, Lebron, or Melo aren't the best player on the floor on a given night? In contrast, the percentage of victory when the older guys were off was probably much higher. Because of the added depth, guys knew better how to play off the ball, and how to contribute in more areas.
It's one of the reason's I think Kidd's role on this team is huge, even if he only scores 2 points a game. He's one of the few players left in the league who can be the best player on the floor without scoring in double digits.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:08 PM   #14
abuC
Cuba

abuC is a pretty well-respected posterabuC is a pretty well-respected posterabuC is a pretty well-respected poster

The practice squad against the Dream Team actually stole a game, the 07 team is certainly much better than that USA select squad was.
abuC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:13 PM   #15
Soundwave
NBA lottery pick

Soundwave is considered somewhat coolSoundwave is considered somewhat cool

The '92 Team actually was supposed to have Shaq on it too ... that was the college player the coaches/staff wanted, but for marketing purposes it was felt the more well known (at the time) Christian Laettner coming out of Duke would be a better fit.
Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: