Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-04-2007, 02:43 AM   #16
qrich
King Heno

qrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: NHL rips NBA over ref scandal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsN07BookIt
You are acting like what happens in most worldwide sports leagues actually matters to us, or that we care what the rest of the world thinks about our sport's leagues. I am sure Stern cares, as well as the owners and anyone who actually profits from the worldwide attention, but most of us in the USA don't. I wouldn't go so far as to say hocker isn't a "legit sport" though.

No, I'm just pointing out the flaw in what he said, claiming hockey wasn't a legit sport due to ratings being bad in the US, just that, plain and simple.
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 03:06 AM   #17
Phenom
Supreme Living Legend

Phenom has an OK reputation so far

How much you willing to bet that Mark Cuban isn't secretly loving this little dig at Stern and his cronies?
Phenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 03:08 AM   #18
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

bigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...e=stars/070831
bigkingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 03:45 AM   #19
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

bdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

NHL is a joke.

I enjoy live Hockey, but the NHL and it's commissioner don't know what the **** they are doing.

NHL on Versus network? Whose bright idea was that? haha

NHL is just lucky not to be bankrupt. They should worry about themselves isntead of taking shots at the NBA.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 04:13 AM   #20
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
So because it doesn't have sky high ratings in the US, it shouldn't be considered a legit sport? In that case, american football isn't a legit sport as it has basically no ratings worldwide. Get out of here with that 'logic'.

Actually I didnt say Hockey isnt a sport. I said it barely beats out poker as a sport. It is technically a sport. But its a sport like curling is a sport. Its a "Sure people play it....but do I really need to give a damn?" sport. Hockey is the sports equal of the 25 cent sodas in front of walmart.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 04:19 AM   #21
JtotheIzzo
Admlnlstrator

JtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

this whole thread is a falking joke and an example of how stupid people on ISH are and how quickly they want to call someone or an organization out without knowing all the facts.

First error:

The NHL did NOT make this billboard, the Dallas Stars did, and I can guarantee in the next couple of days the NHL will ask the Stars to change it.

Secondly:

There are more hockey fans in Canada than there are NBA fans in the United States. This is a quote from Mark Cuban from a speach in Toronto earlier this year:

Quote:
"People in the States underestimate (hockey)," he said. "More people watch Hockey Night in Canada on Saturday nights than watch NBA basketball on Thursday night in the States. People in the U.S. don't realize that. They don't realize there are more hockey fans in a country of (32.8) million than there are NBA fans in the U.S. (population 300 million).

http://www.thestar.com/columnists/article/171418

Americans miss the boat on a lot of good things (soccer, common sense etc...), just because a sport isn't popular there doesn't mean it is dead. It is one of the most popular games in the world and has a ton of pro leagues. There are waaaaaay more professional hockey teams in North America than Basketball and the AHL, ECHL, IHL get excellent attendance, in fact way more than the joke NBDL or any other crap minor league.

Wake the falk up people, don't spew out the ESPN crap everyday. Think for yourself. The rinks are full, kids are still playing, the game is fine, just because 'the worldwide follower' disses it doesn't mean you should.
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 04:47 AM   #22
kidachi

the NBA should make signs like

"We dont play for 40+ minutes and score 2points"
Old 09-04-2007, 04:50 AM   #23
qrich
King Heno

qrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
Actually I didnt say Hockey isnt a sport. I said it barely beats out poker as a sport. It is technically a sport. But its a sport like curling is a sport. Its a "Sure people play it....but do I really need to give a damn?" sport. Hockey is the sports equal of the 25 cent sodas in front of walmart.

You implyed that hockey shouldn't be considered a sport because of ratings. To compare hockey to curling around here is a pretty big insult to hockey, as posted by JtotheIzzo, Hockey has a handful of fans up north in Canada, not to mention it's fair share here in the US, while curling, has little fans in North America.
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 05:18 AM   #24
SunsN07BookIt
High School JV MVP

SunsN07BookIt has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
this whole thread is a falking joke and an example of how stupid people on ISH are and how quickly they want to call someone or an organization out without knowing all the facts.

First error:

The NHL did NOT make this billboard, the Dallas Stars did, and I can guarantee in the next couple of days the NHL will ask the Stars to change it.

Secondly:

There are more hockey fans in Canada than there are NBA fans in the United States. This is a quote from Mark Cuban from a speach in Toronto earlier this year:

Americans miss the boat on a lot of good things (soccer, common sense etc...), just because a sport isn't popular there doesn't mean it is dead. It is one of the most popular games in the world and has a ton of pro leagues. There are waaaaaay more professional hockey teams in North America than Basketball and the AHL, ECHL, IHL get excellent attendance, in fact way more than the joke NBDL or any other crap minor league.

Wake the falk up people, don't spew out the ESPN crap everyday. Think for yourself. The rinks are full, kids are still playing, the game is fine, just because 'the worldwide follower' disses it doesn't mean you should.

Yeah yeah, who cares whether or not us Yanks like ice soccer? Less for us, more for you. No one is disputing that hockey isn't more popular in Canada than basketball. Shaddup and get off your soapbox already.
SunsN07BookIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 05:27 AM   #25
JtotheIzzo
Admlnlstrator

JtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsN07BookIt
Yeah yeah, who cares whether or not us Yanks like ice soccer? Less for us, more for you. No one is disputing that hockey isn't more popular in Canada than basketball. Shaddup and get off your soapbox already.

no clown, learn how to read (have you ever read and responded correctly to a post?), hockey is more popular in Canada than basketball is in the US, and that is by the numbers, not the percentages.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:33 AM   #26
WoGiTaLiA1
Local High School Star

WoGiTaLiA1 has decent reputationWoGiTaLiA1 has decent reputation

I like it, good sign.
WoGiTaLiA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 07:04 AM   #27
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

This could totally backfire if someone found something about the NHL officials. *lol*

But seriously... I don't watch a lot of TV, especially during the off season, but I haven't seen an NHL game televised here, or an NHL commercial since I was like... 8?

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 07:13 AM   #28
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Secondly:

There are more hockey fans in Canada than there are NBA fans in the United States.

There is no way to know that. Not by attendance or even ratings. Its basically impossible to figure out. Got over 300 million people the opinions of which are supposed to be told by attendance records or what? Damn near everyone I know is an NBA fan and none actually go to games these days. Hell my grandma still follows the NBA but she doesnt often watch games and has not gone to one since the 70s. How can one measure fans? If only for the sheer number of americans I dont have full faith in that being true. And even if it were.....

Quote:
This is a quote from Mark Cuban from a speach in Toronto earlier this year:

Quote:"People in the States underestimate (hockey)," he said. "More people watch Hockey Night in Canada on Saturday nights than watch NBA basketball on Thursday night in the States. People in the U.S. don't realize that. They don't realize there are more hockey fans in a country of (32.8) million than there are NBA fans in the U.S. (population 300 million).

Hockey is basically the main thing(sports wise) in Canada isnt it? Knowing that...whats suprising there? I bet there are more handball fans in some african nations than people who watch the NBA here. There may well be as many cricket fans in India as Americans period. Wouldnt suprise me one bit if 300 million Indians are cricket fans on some level. Im sure there are places Michael Jordan was never more popular than Michael Schumacher. What is my reason for giving a damn? Depending on where you go people do different things. Way of the world. And.....

Quote:

.....its not like fans of other sports dont do the same. In fact a few years ago on ISH a bunch of random soccer fans popped up talking about basketball. English people I believe. Some form of europeans who got banned after spamming ISH. Easy to throw out the America insults and talk **** about our common sense...but its not us shooting flare guns at refs and throwing Hitler/Nazi salutes up and insulting black players to the point the league needs to punish the teams for the idiocy of the fans. Lets not start with the "Americans are so..." talk when by comparison American sports fans are about as tame and reasonable as it gets. If Americans miss out on common sense the rest of the worlds fans dont seem to have caught it.

Now...I read about a year ago that the NHL boosted its arena numbers by giving away a huge number of tickets trying to get fans to show up. Second....the NHL playoffs on OLN(a hunting/fishing station) got beat in the ratings by poker and bowling. Literally. Bowling. Bowling. People throwing a ball down a lane. The NHL playoffs were on OLN. Nobody can even name anything else that was ever on OLN. The NHL is basically the late 70s NBA. The OLN deal makes NHL teams about 2% of what NFL teams make just off tv alone. MLB and the NBA both beat it out more than 10 times over. Is the sport dead? Of course not. But just because someone somewhere plays and the league technically exists that doesnt mean its fine.

Hell the NHL almost ceased to exist a couple years ago as they were losing hundreds of millions and some owners could actually make more money not playing the games because the salaries and other issues cost more than the price of paying for an empty arena.

Quote:
You implyed that hockey shouldn't be considered a sport because of ratings.

No. I did not. I doubt hockeys ratings are much worse than track and field which is clearly a sport. I didnt say or even imply hockey isnt a sport. Its just not much of one.

Quote:
To compare hockey to curling around here is a pretty big insult to hockey, as posted by JtotheIzzo, Hockey has a handful of fans up north in Canada, not to mention it's fair share here in the US, while curling, has little fans in North America.

Know something I find amusing? While looking up the NHLs ratings a moment ago I happened to see this:

Quote:
"Hockey has become the curling of professional sports," says Jon Mandel of Mediacom ad agency. "(The NHL) just disappeared from the consciousness of American sports."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colum...-martzke_x.htm

Im not saying that makes it true. It just makes me smile a bit.

To be fair its about the NBA and NHL ratings issues but its clear who has the bigger problem. NBA just has issues compared to its own past. Its still nowhere even close to the league shutting down or having the widespread lack of interest the NHL does. Even when the NBA actually had a lockout...it wasnt nearly as bad off as the NHL has been.

Last edited by Kblaze8855 : 09-04-2007 at 07:31 AM.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 09:16 AM   #29
JtotheIzzo
Admlnlstrator

Quote:

.....its not like fans of other sports dont do the same. In fact a few years ago on ISH a bunch of random soccer fans popped up talking about basketball. English people I believe. Some form of europeans who got banned after spamming ISH. Easy to throw out the America insults and talk **** about our common sense...but its not us shooting flare guns at refs and throwing Hitler/Nazi salutes up and insulting black players to the point the league needs to punish the teams for the idiocy of the fans. Lets not start with the "Americans are so..." talk when by comparison American sports fans are about as tame and reasonable as it gets. If Americans miss out on common sense the rest of the worlds fans dont seem to have caught it.

completely irrelevant to the topic.

the common sense factor is simply from the fact that 'The NHL' didn't do this. The Dallas Stars marketing department did (can I attribute everything Mark Cuban says to the NBA? Use common sense). Yet people around ISH (who happen to be American) decided to give hockey a kick while it is down by spewing out nonsense against the league, who will probably react negatively to the campaign, especially when you consider the commisioner comes from the NBA (use common sense). TV ratings don't dictate the health of hockey as it does other sports, its a spectacle, live entertainment, and its a game that can survive in places like southern US states where it has absolute no place in the culture or the fabric of the society. Does that mean it is dead? No use....drum roll please...common sense.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:23 AM   #30
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

MaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this board

Quote:
Know something I find amusing? While looking up the NHLs ratings a moment ago I happened to see this:

Quote:
"Hockey has become the curling of professional sports," says Jon Mandel of Mediacom ad agency. "(The NHL) just disappeared from the consciousness of American sports."

Lol, Blaze is at it again... "Im not saying that makes it true. It just makes me smile a bit."
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: