Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-03-2007, 04:13 PM   #1
Interminator
Banned

Default Andrew Bogut

Is he a bust?

Discuss.
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 04:15 PM   #2
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

Default Re: Andrew Bogut

Wow. Your thoughtful, insightful post puts so much room out there for good discussion. I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Perhaps you should express YOUR opinion on whether or not Bogut is a bust, and give reasons to support your idea.
saKf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 04:16 PM   #3
AI Nuggets3
Decent college freshman

did anyone expect him to be a star?
AI Nuggets3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 04:25 PM   #4
Interminator
Banned

my bad this slow ass board didnt allow me to get up my 2nd post

04/05:9.4 ppg/7.0 rpg/0.8 bpg
05/06:12.3 ppg/8.8 rpg/0.5 bpg

Those numbers are pretty average,but he is such a horrible blocker for being a 7 footer
Deron Williams,Chris Paul have been All Star caliber
and Danny Granger,David Lee,Charlie V,and Raymond Felton could make an All star team one day
Most of the 1st round picks from that year have been good role players but nothing Bogut has done distinguishes himself from what Jason Maxiell or Diogu could do if either recieved the same minutes as Bogut
Old 09-03-2007, 04:29 PM   #5
andredagiant
Decent playground baller

Ye he is a bust, considering he was the no. 1 overall pick, but he still has a little potential left I'd say 16p 8r max for his numbers.
andredagiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 04:33 PM   #6
Interminator
Banned

he averaged 12.3 ppg in 34 mpg on a team missing its main scorers
I think 10 ppg is really his limit
Old 09-03-2007, 04:51 PM   #7
otmtheshank
Good High School Starter

He's been disappointing so far, but he's not a bust. 12/9/3 on good shooting percentages are solid numbers for a sophomore. At the moment, he's the best center out of his draft.

Bogut has potential to become an all-star in the future. He has outstanding hands and passing skills for a center, along with being an above-average rebounder. He's shown glimpses of a great post game with his great footwork, and he's a great post passer.

Also, his scoring/assist numbers are modest, but he had practically no plays ran for him. Stots plays a guard oriented offense, leaving Bogut playing like a traditional center instead of the versatile player he is.

He was the right man for the Buck's to draft. He was unfairly expected to average 20/10 like most franchise big men have, but he hasn't yet. That doesn't mean he can't do it in the future though. They needed a center, and they got the best one in the draft. He's not a bust.
otmtheshank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 04:55 PM   #8
thenextgreatbigman
Banned

waits for adamcz
thenextgreatbigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 05:03 PM   #9
loot
H.U.M.A.N. World

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Nuggets3
did anyone expect him to be a star?
he was taken #1. i think some people might have expected something like that yeah
loot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 05:08 PM   #10
Interminator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by otmtheshank
He's been disappointing so far, but he's not a bust. 12/9/3 on good shooting percentages are solid numbers for a sophomore. At the moment, he's the best center out of his draft.

Bogut has potential to become an all-star in the future. He has outstanding hands and passing skills for a center, along with being an above-average rebounder. He's shown glimpses of a great post game with his great footwork, and he's a great post passer.

Also, his scoring/assist numbers are modest, but he had practically no plays ran for him. Stots plays a guard oriented offense, leaving Bogut playing like a traditional center instead of the versatile player he is.

He was the right man for the Buck's to draft. He was unfairly expected to average 20/10 like most franchise big men have, but he hasn't yet. That doesn't mean he can't do it in the future though. They needed a center, and they got the best one in the draft. He's not a bust.
An all-star?

Hes going to lose minutes,not only from Doctor Rebound but Yi comes into the mix as well and dont forget they just gave 3 mil to Voshkul
dont think for a minute Yi would've signed if he was going to play 15 mpg

Bogut is the best center for the 2005 draft,if he had all star potential we would've seen it by now even when he was drafted the Bucks knew the ceiling for him was much lower than it was for almost every other top 10

basically,Bogut had no competition in college and he was somewhat overrated coming out,he really would've been a good pick in the late lottery,Arujao was dominant in the Mountain West as well and he went 8th for **** sakes
Old 09-03-2007, 05:09 PM   #11
Interminator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by loot
he was taken #1. i think some people might have expected something like that yeah
Old 09-03-2007, 05:15 PM   #12
adamcz
Bucks fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenextgreatbigman
waits for adamcz
Well wait no longer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interminator
he is such a horrible blocker for being a 7 footer
This is true, but on the plus side he's one of the best in the league at drawing charges. Both are ways to play help defense and get the ball for your team. I wish he'd block more shots, but he does contribute as much to help defense around the paint as most big men (reminder - okafor and ben wallace are not most big men - I am not saying Bogut does anything at their level).
Quote:
Deron Williams,Chris Paul have been All Star caliber
Nobody's going to argue that Bogut is or ever will be as good as these two stars. There are plenty of drafts where the #1 pick doesn't end up the best player.
[quoteDanny Granger,David Lee,Charlie V,and Raymond Felton could make an All star team one day[/quote]As could Bogut. Bogut's certainly closer to making an allstar team than the guys you mentioned. CV plays the same position (for allstar purposes) as Bosh/KG/Okafor/Lebron/Pierce and put up 11 and 6 last year. Bogut has to compete with basically just Jermaine O'Neal and Dwight Howard and put up 12 and 9. Once Shaq declines past the point where fans vote for him, Bogut could be one injured guy away from being put in the game (assuming he bumps his stats up ever so slightly like all players do). Same with Danny Granger
Quote:
Bogut has done distinguishes himself from what Jason Maxiell or Diogu could do if either recieved the same minutes as Bogut
Bogut is one of the best passing big men in the league. You can give Diogu all the minutes in the world, and he won't provide that.
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 05:26 PM   #13
adamcz
Bucks fan

Quote:
Hes going to lose minutes,not only from Doctor Rebound but Yi comes into the mix as well and dont forget they just gave 3 mil to Voshkul
I don't know who Doctor Rebound is, but I can assure you Bogut won't be losing minutes to Voshkul. He'll get as many minutes as his conditioning will allow, all the way up to 48.

12.3 (55%)/8.8/3.0 isn't bad for a sophomore. We know by now that he won't be a hall of famer, but there's no reason to rule out him becoming a borderline all-star type guy who makes it some years and misses it some years.

Marcus Camby year 2: 12.1 (41%)/7.4/1.8
Jermaine O'Neal year 5: 12.9 (46%)9.8/1.2
Brad Miller year 4: 12.7 (46%)/8.4/2.1
Chris Kaman year 3: 11.9 (52%)/9.6/1.0

Who am I forgetting that's a good but not hall of fame level center to compare to?
Old 09-03-2007, 05:26 PM   #14
otmtheshank
Good High School Starter

Quote:
An all-star?

dont think for a minute Yi would've signed if he was going to play 15 mpg

Bogut is the best center for the 2005 draft,if he had all star potential we would've seen it by now even when he was drafted the Bucks knew the ceiling for him was much lower than it was for almost every other top 10

basically,Bogut had no competition in college and he was somewhat overrated coming out,he really would've been a good pick in the late lottery,Arujao was dominant in the Mountain West as well and he went 8th for **** sakes

He wasn't even involved in the Buck's offense last season, but still put up 12/9/3 on good percentages. It's hard to find a big man these days that can put up those numbers.

Terry Stots ran practically no plays for Bogut. With a new coach, Bogut is expected to be the focal point of the Buck's offense next season(along with Redd), and will surely put up better numbers. Bogut has the skills to put up 16-18 ppg. He's a good post player, and if he can regain his college jumpshot, he'll be even better. 10 rpg and 5 apg are also reasonable numbers for his prime. I'd say he could make an all-star team someday, what young Centers in the East will be better than him?

He's not going to lose minutes either, Yi won't be playing center next year, so he's irrelevant, and Jake will not be a major part of the rotation either.
otmtheshank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 05:30 PM   #15
adamcz
Bucks fan

Last year was partly Stotts' fault for not running him plays, but also Bogut's fault for not giving Stotts a reason to run him plays. Bogut was pretty timid in the post, and usually prefered to give the ball up right away instead of doing something with it. His confidence will come along with time.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: