Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2007, 12:47 PM   #1
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™
 
geeWiz15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: limbo
Posts: 5,767
Default Why are you people so shocked to discover that Lebron is really good?

I mean seriously the stuff I'm reading on here.

"What did Lebron learn to shoot?"

"Man it's really surprising to see what Lebron's doing after the season he just had."

Where are these comments coming from? Lebron's been a top 5 player, and I'd argue top 2 player, for 2 seasons now. He's been able to shoot from NBA 3 well above NBA average, much less NBA average for 6'8 240 players, for 2 seasons now. He's always been a top 5 passer and maybe a top 5 finisher inside. he just led an unbelievably crappy team to the FINALS last year. year before he put up 30/6/6.

and now people are finally being won over because of a few dozen dunks against HS quality competition?

I don't get it. Bron's been at worst the second best perimeter player in the NBA for 2 full years now. a consummate "do it all" guy. he even plays defense now.

what, were people actually fooled into thinking he was taking a step back by "only" putting up 28/6/6 last season. nobody's that gullible are they?

this is a post for all those who have had Lebron in their top 3 for at least a year and don't need some quad seoson performance against YMCA competition to confirm what they've always known.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 12:49 PM   #2
clipps
Decent college freshman
 
clipps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Edwards AFB, CA
Posts: 2,979
Default Re: Why are you people so shocked to discover that Lebron is really good?

Because more then half of ISH hates Lebron and likes to nit pick at everything he does wrong. No one has gotten used to the fact that Lebron has improved his jumpshot from his rookie and 2nd season.
clipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 12:50 PM   #3
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter
 
Richie2k6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The Terrordome Team: Nuggets
Posts: 9,911
Default Re: Why are you people so shocked to discover that Lebron is really good?

Though I disagree with parts of your posts, I agree overall - I'm not surprised Lebron did what he did, I don't know why people are shocked.
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 12:52 PM   #4
saKf
Roy = my new fave.
 
saKf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Not offended by low scores.
Posts: 4,206
Default Re: Why are you people so shocked to discover that Lebron is really good?

It's the standard ISH reactionary response. Next up is the prediction that he'll have some ungodly NBA season as a result of this international play.
saKf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 12:53 PM   #5
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs
 
mlh1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 14,157
Default Re: Why are you people so shocked to discover that Lebron is really good?

The more a player is discussed on ISH, the more bitterness that starts to build because people feel like THEIR favorite player is being slighted somehow. That's when the nitpicking begins. People just assume that to elevate the "status" of their favorite player, that they have to rag on other players
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 12:54 PM   #6
Lebron_23
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Why are you people so shocked to discover that Lebron is really good?

Lebron got better from his rookie year and now is in Olympics. He is a leader in his team in so many things. His jump shot improve in FIBA and is ready for Beijing 2008 and the NBA this season.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 12:56 PM   #7
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter
 
Richie2k6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The Terrordome Team: Nuggets
Posts: 9,911
Default Re: Why are you people so shocked to discover that Lebron is really good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981
The more a player is discussed on ISH, the more bitterness that starts to build because people feel like THEIR favorite player is being slighted somehow. That's when the nitpicking begins. People just assume that to elevate the "status" of their favorite player, that they have to rag on other players
Exactly, and I hate that. But that's the way it is - people always want their favorite player to be loved, so they put down the better ones. Favoritizing and being biased. Sigh.
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 12:58 PM   #8
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™
 
geeWiz15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: limbo
Posts: 5,767
Default Re: Why are you people so shocked to discover that Lebron is really good?

the problem with lebron is that he doesn't have the coach Kobe had that refined his game. Lebron's so good he doesn't know what to do with himself in Cleveland. he's expected to carry the team on his back yet no plays are run for him. he's expected to be the centerpiece yet the team isn't built around him. so he takes those dumb fadeaways that frustrate the hell out of me. but I can't see him taking shots like that if he had a good coach and well-constructed team. and I certainly wouldn't have expected him to play that way with one of the best coaches ever at the helm and a team full of all stars around him. so that's why I don't get the "he shouldn't be on Team USA" stuff. the criticisms of his NBA play are valid but they put the blame on the player rather than his situation.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 01:03 PM   #9
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs
 
mlh1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 14,157
Default Re: Why are you people so shocked to discover that Lebron is really good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
the problem with lebron is that he doesn't have the coach Kobe had that refined his game. Lebron's so good he doesn't know what to do with himself in Cleveland. he's expected to carry the team on his back yet no plays are run for him. he's expected to be the centerpiece yet the team isn't built around him. so he takes those dumb fadeaways that frustrate the hell out of me. but I can't see him taking shots like that if he had a good coach and well-constructed team. and I certainly wouldn't have expected him to play that way with one of the best coaches ever at the helm and a team full of all stars around him. so that's why I don't get the "he shouldn't be on Team USA" stuff. the criticisms of his NBA play are valid but they put the blame on the player rather than his situation.


Cleveland runs a very disorganized offense thanks to the "efforts" from Mike Brown. It is frustrating to watch (me and Mathius complain about this all the time in the Cavs forum). To watch someone with his build and skill set to settle for the fadeaway shots is extrmely frustrating. Noone in the league can stop LeBron when he goes "full steam ahead" to the basket. Maybe he'll figure this out on his own, maybe he needs a new coach to "coach" him, or a combination of both
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 01:03 PM   #10
Diesel J
NBA lottery pick
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,630
Default Re: Why are you people so shocked to discover that Lebron is really good?

I don't get it either.I don't think people realize how rediculous his past 2 seasons stats are.His drop off in points this past season was due to his bad ft shooting.

05-06 season he basically put up 31pts 7 ast 7 rbs on 48% shooting!

06-07 he put up 27pts 7rbs 6ast on 48%fg


no other sg/sf is putting up numbers like that
Diesel J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 01:09 PM   #11
Indian guy
Very good NBA starter
 
Indian guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Illinois
Posts: 8,374
Default Re: Why are you people so shocked to discover that Lebron is really good?

People are shocked to see him shoot so well. I don't recall anybody saying "I didn't know LeBron was this good". Everybody considers him Top 3-5 in this league and 2nd only to Kobe as far as perimeter players are concerned. BUT, he is a poor outside shooter(his fg% percentage outside the paint is terrible) and I personally would've been shocked had nobody made a big deal abt LeBron's incredible shooting performance in the FIBA tournament. The last time we saw him he literally couldn't make a jumper. His release looked terrible and his confidence even worse. Yet 2 months later he shoots a TOURNAMENT BEST 63% from the 3pt line.63%!!. And it wasn't during a short 2, 3 or 4 game span. He did for 10 freaking games. Who knew he'd put such work in his jumper? The mechanics on his shot look terrific and the confidence he has in his jumper is unbelievable. He was making shots with hands in his face, from WAYYY deep, off the dribble etc. Who wouldn't be shocked?

Last edited by Indian guy : 09-03-2007 at 01:13 PM.
Indian guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 01:09 PM   #12
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™
 
geeWiz15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: limbo
Posts: 5,767
Default Re: Why are you people so shocked to discover that Lebron is really good?

Quote:
To watch someone with his build and skill set to settle for the fadeaway shots is extrmely frustrating. Noone in the league can stop LeBron when he goes "full steam ahead" to the basket. Maybe he'll figure this out on his own, maybe he needs a new coach to "coach" him, or a combination of both
All he needs is shooters to spread the floor and a coach to turn up the tempo and run plays for him so he doesn't have to start out 30 feet from the basket every time.

I mean honestly, you've got a 6'8 240 player and you make him start out 30 feet from the basket? This isn't AI. Bron is amazing but you're making him work way harder for his points than he should be.

If I were coaching him I'd have him running off screens to catch it 20 feet away, and I'd refine his high post game and see what I could do with that. Hell maybe put him at the 2, have a couple shooters at the 3 and 4 and try him out on the low block. But no, it's isolations from the 3pt line for Mike Brown. what a waste.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 01:19 PM   #13
Rockets(T-mac)
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Rockets(T-mac)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,210
Default Re: Why are you people so shocked to discover that Lebron is really good?

If people are shocked that he is that good then they haven't been watching basketball. Lebron has some much going for him at such a young age.

Good point on the favourite player stuff, people just don't want to see another player liked more than their fav player. Lebron is amazing and people have to get over it.
Rockets(T-mac) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 01:23 PM   #14
Kobe24
Banned
 
Kobe24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Land of 14 NBA Championships
Posts: 6,188
Default Re: Why are you people so shocked to discover that Lebron is really good?

I noticed that Lebron doesn't fade away on his shot as much.
Kobe24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 01:23 PM   #15
Knoe Itawl
Bringer of Light
 
Knoe Itawl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,059
Default Re: Why are you people so shocked to discover that Lebron is really good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian guy
People are shocked to see him shoot so well. I don't recall anybody saying "I didn't know LeBron was this good". Everybody considers him Top 3-5 in this league and 2nd only to Kobe as far as perimeter players are concerned. BUT, he is a poor outside shooter(his fg% percentage outside the paint is terrible) and I personally would've been shocked had nobody made a big deal abt LeBron's incredible shooting performance in the FIBA tournament. The last time we saw him he literally couldn't make a jumper. His release looked terrible and his confidence even worse. Yet 2 months later he shoots a TOURNAMENT BEST 63% from the 3pt line.63%!!. And it wasn't during a short 2, 3 or 4 game span. He did for 10 freaking games. Who knew he'd put such work in his jumper? The mechanics on his shot look terrific and the confidence he has in his jumper is unbelievable. He was making shots with hands in his face, from WAYYY deep, off the dribble etc. Who wouldn't be shocked?

People who don't expect a 22 year old player, with the talent that Bron has not to improve would be shocked. Personally, I expect him to keep improving his game and while his improved stroke has been great to watch, I wouldn't say I'm "shocked" by it. Why people think players like Bron or Wade should just stay stagnant and not broaden their games, given their ages, talent and drive is beyond me.
Knoe Itawl is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:02 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy