Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-17-2007, 08:32 PM   #16
Wo1fshadow
I brick open layups

Wo1fshadow has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: OT: Another Computer Question

2G should be enough
Wo1fshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 09:18 PM   #17
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Cannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie2k6
His hard drive size really doesn't have much to do with bandwith. Any legitimate amount of HDD space is fine. And @ RidonKs, like everybody else said, 1GB is great.

Yeah obviously lol.

Most colleges have bandwidth limits. That is anything you use bandwidth for, getting on the web, dling, streaming, etc etc.

I'm just saying you may not want to dl.

I said HDD and CPU because those are the two main other things about the speed of your pc. The speed your hdd runs at and of course the brain of your pc the cpu...

see what I'm saying.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 09:44 PM   #18
kumquat
College superstar

kumquat is considered somewhat coolkumquat is considered somewhat coolkumquat is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs
I'm curious how important getting 2 GB of RAM is. I just bought a computer (that I can take back -- so nothing is final yet) that has only 1 GB of RAM, but I've been hearing that it may not be enough.

Here are the things I'll be doing:

Internet (obviously)
Schoolwork (probably lots of Excel, I dunno, just a bunch of word processing -- the regular stuff for university)
Watching basketball games (hopefully if there is still a site for it)
Downloading music/movies (although probably not many of the latter)

Do you guys think getting 2 GB is necessary? I definitely won't be doing any gaming, and I hear that's what it's most important for. Will I be ok with only 1GB, doing all of that stuff, or will the computer run slowly? I can also just get another 0.5 GB, as that would be cheaper and could solve any problem I'm having.

Any thoughts?

Ridonks, for what you're doing, i'm doing perfectly fine + some video and audio editing on my 1.4ghz centrino lappy with 512mb ram running xp
kumquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 11:39 PM   #19
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
RAM is dirt cheap right now.
Is it? I think I was told that it it was an extra $150-$200 for the extra GB. Not sure if that's expensive to you, but to me, it's definitely more than enough to make me edge towards not buying it.

Anyways, thanks for the help once again. I probably won't get it unless I can find somewhere to do it for me for a whole lot cheaper.

One more question. What sort of anti-virus/anti-spyware stuff am I going to need, and is it all downloadable, or will I need to buy it?
RidonKs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 11:39 PM   #20
WoGiTaLiA1
Local High School Star

WoGiTaLiA1 has decent reputationWoGiTaLiA1 has decent reputation

Gig is fine but if you plan on going Vista in the future, I'd seriously think about 2g.

If your XP is using 256mb just to run you have some serious memory leakage going on with your setup. Like the kind that kills a system, i'd get it looked at right now. XP shouldn't be using more than about 64mb to sit stable. You should be able to do most things on XP(Games excluded) with just 256mb ram total.
WoGiTaLiA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 12:54 AM   #21
Dodonpa
Great young streetballer

Dodonpa has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball
Yeah obviously lol.

Most colleges have bandwidth limits. That is anything you use bandwidth for, getting on the web, dling, streaming, etc etc.

I'm just saying you may not want to dl.

I said HDD and CPU because those are the two main other things about the speed of your pc. The speed your hdd runs at and of course the brain of your pc the cpu...

see what I'm saying.
what college are you talking about? and are you talking about school computers?

I have been watching streaming NBA games in my schools library with wireless all day long. Download bittorrent day and night when the computer is at my dorm. I've never heard of any damn limits, anywhere in the US.

and 1 gig is plently. I'm always hovering around 500K, with MSN, bit torrent, firefox and a bunch of other application opened at all times.
Dodonpa is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: