Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-17-2007, 02:04 PM   #1
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default OT: Another Computer Question

I'm curious how important getting 2 GB of RAM is. I just bought a computer (that I can take back -- so nothing is final yet) that has only 1 GB of RAM, but I've been hearing that it may not be enough.

Here are the things I'll be doing:

Internet (obviously)
Schoolwork (probably lots of Excel, I dunno, just a bunch of word processing -- the regular stuff for university)
Watching basketball games (hopefully if there is still a site for it)
Downloading music/movies (although probably not many of the latter)

Do you guys think getting 2 GB is necessary? I definitely won't be doing any gaming, and I hear that's what it's most important for. Will I be ok with only 1GB, doing all of that stuff, or will the computer run slowly? I can also just get another 0.5 GB, as that would be cheaper and could solve any problem I'm having.

Any thoughts?
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 02:05 PM   #2
AppleNader
Cornell Basketball=#1

AppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputation
Default Re: OT: Another Computer Question

Are you using Vista?

btw, if you aren't gaming, 1gb is more than enough.
AppleNader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 02:08 PM   #3
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

No, I got a slightly older computer that has XP.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:12 PM   #4
Bigboi450
I airball my layups

Bigboi450 has an OK reputation so far

1GB is plenty. If you want to get into gaming online then the 2GB helps your unit to process faster.
Bigboi450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 02:13 PM   #5
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Cannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation here

With xp 1 gb is fine. Post a link and I'll check out the other specs real quick.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 02:13 PM   #6
AppleNader
Cornell Basketball=#1

AppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputation

then 1gb is more than enough.
AppleNader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 02:14 PM   #7
RidonKs
NBA Legend

Awesome guys, thanks. So watching basketball and movies online won't be a problem at all?
Old 08-17-2007, 02:17 PM   #8
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Cannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs
Awesome guys, thanks. So watching basketball and movies online won't be a problem at all?
Well you'll prob. have bandwidth limit at school so you might not want to do this...

Also depends on how big your hdd is and how fast your cpu is.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 02:22 PM   #9
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter

Richie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball
Well you'll prob. have bandwidth limit at school so you might not want to do this...

Also depends on how big your hdd is and how fast your cpu is.
His hard drive size really doesn't have much to do with bandwith. Any legitimate amount of HDD space is fine. And @ RidonKs, like everybody else said, 1GB is great.
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 02:25 PM   #10
kwajo
Missing Since 2009

kwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation here

Unless you plan on trying to duel me in Photoshopping skill competitions, then 1GB will do you just fine for everyday tasks.
kwajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 02:25 PM   #11
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

knickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Your processor makes the difference too.

The best way to look at is....

Xp takes 256 to run itself.
Virus software, and your browser will probably take 256-512 on its own.

So a gig is ok.

I only have alittle over 2gigs on my laptop and desktop and even with hughsnet they run great.

The desktop is a 2.4 PIV
The laptop is a 2.0 mobile centrino dual core.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 03:03 PM   #12
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Skywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Xp takes 256 to run itself.

... I use XP and my comp only has 128 RAM, is that bad?
Skywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 04:42 PM   #13
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter

Richie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
... I use XP and my comp only has 128 RAM, is that bad?
Kind of, yes. You should upgrade to at least 512MB.
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 05:15 PM   #14
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

MaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs
I'm curious how important getting 2 GB of RAM is. I just bought a computer (that I can take back -- so nothing is final yet) that has only 1 GB of RAM, but I've been hearing that it may not be enough.

Here are the things I'll be doing:

Internet (obviously)
Schoolwork (probably lots of Excel, I dunno, just a bunch of word processing -- the regular stuff for university)
Watching basketball games (hopefully if there is still a site for it)
Downloading music/movies (although probably not many of the latter)

Do you guys think getting 2 GB is necessary? I definitely won't be doing any gaming, and I hear that's what it's most important for. Will I be ok with only 1GB, doing all of that stuff, or will the computer run slowly? I can also just get another 0.5 GB, as that would be cheaper and could solve any problem I'm having.

Any thoughts?

1GB is enough, but I'd get the extra Gig. You will see the difference if you are running Vista, or multiple software programs that are memory intensive. You don't see yourself doing much with the computer now, but it's better to buy the extra RAM upfront for a cheaper prince then to upgrade later for too much. Would you be viewing HD content on your computer? Get the extra RAM.
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 07:10 PM   #15
Kujo
National High School Star

Kujo has decent reputation

I'd get an extra gig as well. RAM is dirt cheap right now. I don't play any games on my PC, but I always have multiple apps open, and the extra 1 gig really makes a difference.
Kujo is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: