Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-16-2007, 02:20 PM   #1
GoldNugg21
Good High School Starter

GoldNugg21 has an OK reputation so far
Default Melo "dominant" in team USA's first practice

Quote:
As the national team scrimmaged a squad of young NBA players Wednesday on the first day of USA Basketball practice, Carmelo Anthony did what he does best -- dominate.

No score was kept, but Anthony clearly was the best player on the court at Valley High School.

That's no surprise given what he did last year for Team USA.

The 6-foot-8-inch Denver Nuggets forward led the Americans in scoring, averaging 19.9 points per game. He also shot 50.4 percent from the field and 44 percent from 3-point range and averaged 3.7 rebounds and 1.9 steals.

Most fans probably expect superstars Kobe Bryant and LeBron James to show the way as Team USA pursues a top-two finish in next week's FIBA Americas Championship to qualify for the 2008 Olympics. But Anthony might well be the face of this squad.

That's right, the same guy who lost control during an on-court brawl last December and hit the New York Knicks' Mardy Collins with a cheap shot, drawing a 15-game suspension from the NBA.

He's also the same guy whom coach Mike Krzyzewski could depend on last summer when the Americans tried to win the FIBA World Championship in Japan. It wasn't Anthony's fault that the U.S. finished third.

"I'm very comfortable being one of the faces of the team," Anthony said. "I look forward to being one of the leaders. I'm ready for that challenge."

The key to his success last year, Anthony said, was that he adjusted to Team USA's talent and didn't try to force things. As a result, he established himself as a first-option scoring threat and delivered time and again. His 35 points against Italy set a Team USA single-game record.

"I didn't try to do too much," Anthony said. "I love to win, so I just went out and played to win.

"It made my confidence sky-high, and it definitely carried over to the NBA season."

It also helped facilitate Allen Iverson's transition to the Nuggets after his late December trade from Philadelphia.

"One thing about Team USA, you're playing with 12 starters, so it definitely helped me when it came time to play with A.I.," said Anthony, who along with Iverson helped lead the Nuggets to the 2007 playoffs. "We were together in '04 (on the U.S. Olympic team). The more we're around each other, the more we're comfortable with each other on the court."

Krzyzewski has enjoyed his brief time coaching Anthony.

"I love Carmelo," Krzyzewski said. "Carmelo's a winner. He's a heck of a competitor. He plays with courage at both ends of the court. He's so versatile. He's so strong. He can shoot the heck out of it. I'll take him on my team anytime.

"To me, he was the biggest surprise last year. You try not to go in with preconceived notions. But he's a winner and a leader. Arguably, Carmelo was the most important player we had (last year)."

Anthony said he has enjoyed playing for Krzyzewski.

"I didn't know anything about him, and I'm pretty sure he didn't know anything about me other than what he had read or heard," Anthony said. "I came in, did my work and did what I had to do.

"He's a pretty easy guy to play for. As long as you play hard and do what he wants, it's no problem."

He said being on Team USA has helped him rebuild his image, which suffered a big hit after the incident with Collins. Anthony said he has put it behind him and learned from the experience.

"It was a heat-of-the-moment thing," he said. "It's unfortunate that it happened, and I regret it. But I've moved on. I feel like I'm back to where I was before."

http://www.lvrj.com/sports/9192532.html

A good article to read for all the people who want to leave Melo off the roster, or even start James ahead of him. Melo is simply better than James at playing with other great players, which is kind of ironic considering how they have been labeled throughout their careers.

Hopefully, with Kidd and Kobe, plus Wade, this team will be able to win gold in 08. I feel alot better than I did in 04 or 06 this time.
GoldNugg21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 02:52 PM   #2
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

IGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Melo "dominant" in team USA's first practice

I think Melo should start but it really doesnst matter who dominates these workouts... A guy like Kobe or Kidd wouldnt try to dominate right now anyway...

Melo is arguably the best FIBA player on the team ...I do expect Kobe and Melo to be a great 1-2 punch with Kidd running the show...To bad Coach doesnt have the balls to bench Lebron
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 03:01 PM   #3
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

It's going to shock a lot of people when despite Kobe Bryant's presence Carmelo is still Team USA's best player.

Carmelo is about to go from under-rated to over-rated in a hurry.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 03:03 PM   #4
AppleNader
Cornell Basketball=#1

AppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputation

it's unfortunate so many ISHiots would still rather see Lebron jack up fade away 18 foot bricks with a hand in his face
AppleNader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 03:11 PM   #5
GoldNugg21
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
I think Melo should start but it really doesnst matter who dominates these workouts... A guy like Kobe or Kidd wouldnt try to dominate right now anyway...

Melo is arguably the best FIBA player on the team ...I do expect Kobe and Melo to be a great 1-2 punch with Kidd running the show...To bad Coach doesnt have the balls to bench Lebron

I don't think Melo is exactly "trying to dominate" any more than anyone else out there either. In fact, I think Kobe, being the ultra competitive guy that he is, might work harder than Melo in a scrimmage like this.

That said, I really don't care who comes off as the better player in this tourny, as long as the team plays well together and looks like they can win a gold medal. I'm tired of international teams beating us.

And I agree, I hope Lebron does something stupid that the coaches can use as an excuse to bench him. At least make him come off the bench. I'm just not sure that they have the balls to do that, or if he would have the balls to accept that role. I really respected Wade for doing that last time around, and while he proved that you can still be a leader (as that's obviously important to Lebron), and an important piece off the bench, I'm just not sure Lebron would see it that way.

An interesting thing that this brings up is that it seems coach K is leaning towards using Melo as a power forward. I'm really not sold on this at all, because he simply isn't a good defensive player, and especially not in the post. I shudder to think of him going against Varajao and Nene in the post. But we'll see how it works out.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:19 PM   #6
LBJ 4 MVP
Sit yo ass down!

LBJ 4 MVP is a pretty well-respected posterLBJ 4 MVP is a pretty well-respected posterLBJ 4 MVP is a pretty well-respected poster

Practice? You talkin bout practice!? Of all the things going on in the world, you talkin bout practice man!? PRACTICE!? Man Pra--Practice man? How the hell am I supposed to make me team better.....by practicing!?! Practice is the one thing you talkin bout?! Out of everything it's practice!? Man im speechless. All you doin is talkin bout practice!? Man its just practice.

Last edited by LBJ 4 MVP : 08-16-2007 at 03:27 PM.
LBJ 4 MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 03:24 PM   #7
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

Y2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
It's going to shock a lot of people when despite Kobe Bryant's presence Carmelo is still Team USA's best player.

Carmelo is about to go from under-rated to over-rated in a hurry.

Melo become overrated? Never. Hating on him is what most of these people do best. He'll get a hell of a lot of praise while the FIBA thing is on, but once the season starts he'll fall under the radar again.
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 03:27 PM   #8
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Cannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation here

lebron hate is tasty.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 03:27 PM   #9
AppleNader
Cornell Basketball=#1

AppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball
lebron hate is tasty.

and necessary
AppleNader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 03:29 PM   #10
GoldNugg21
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball
lebron hate is tasty.
I actually think it tastes awful. But his being the most arrogant NBA player I know of makes it hard not to.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:36 PM   #11
DLeagueWannabe
a softer side

DLeagueWannabe has an OK reputation so far

In regards to the Dream Team:

Carmelo=Barkley...
DLeagueWannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 03:38 PM   #12
GoldNugg21
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLeagueWannabe
In regards to the Dream Team:

Carmelo=Barkley...
I just pray that he's not also = to Barkley in the ring department at the end of his career.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:42 PM   #13
Tool
Ball til I fall

Tool is considered somewhat coolTool is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ 4 MVP
Practice? You talkin bout practice!? Of all the things going on in the world, you talkin bout practice man!? PRACTICE!? Man Pra--Practice man? How the hell am I supposed to make me team better.....by practicing!?! Practice is the one thing you talkin bout?! Out of everything it's practice!? Man im speechless. All you doin is talkin bout practice!? Man its just practice.

SERIOUSLY WHY YA'LL TALKIN BOUT PRACTICE.
Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 03:45 PM   #14
Noob Saibot
NBA lottery pick

Noob Saibot is a pretty well-respected posterNoob Saibot is a pretty well-respected posterNoob Saibot is a pretty well-respected posterNoob Saibot is a pretty well-respected poster

Great to hear Melo taking over this team. If LeBron or Kobe Jordan can't do it, Melo sure can. Guy's game is so under the radar man.
Noob Saibot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 03:48 PM   #15
DLeagueWannabe
a softer side

DLeagueWannabe has an OK reputation so far

[quote=GoldNugg21]I just pray that he's not also = to Barkley in the ring department at the end of his career.[/QUOTE

His time will come...
DLeagueWannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: