Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-16-2007, 02:15 PM   #1
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

MaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this board
Default How arguable is it that Paul Pierce has been a top 10 player in the league...

... over the last 5 season.

I think I mentioned to you guys the conversation I had with an elderly gentleman at the barber shop last month concerning how the Celts were going to suck this season. This was prior to the Garnett trade, but after we had picked up Ray Allen. My stance had been that injuries had made us look much worse than we really were last season, and with Allen's addition to the team, we should do much better... perhaps one of the better teams out East with Allen, Pierce, Jefferson and whoever we got for Ratliff's contract... He maintained that we were going to suck regardless of what we did... that there were no trades that would help us. Well, we all know how that turned out...

Anyway, I had made the claim that PP has been one of the top 10 players in the league over the last 5 or so seasons. For some reason, he had a very low opinion of Paul, but I noticed that some of the other guys in the shop laughed at the assertion as well.

What do you guys think. Is PP worthy of that label, or does he fall short.

And again, should I just stop talking to old people at the barbershop?
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 02:22 PM   #2
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

bballnoob is considered somewhat coolbballnoob is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: How arguable is it that Paul Pierce has been a top 10 player in the league...

Well I'm too lazy to try to think up a top 10 list but maybe you shouldn't listen to the old guy. Pierce has been majorly underated for a long time anyway. He brings a pretty complete skill set to the table but hasn't really been on any of those "sexy" teams that captures the public's attention.
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 02:25 PM   #3
VCMVP1551
NBA sixth man of the year

VCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this board
Default Re: How arguable is it that Paul Pierce has been a top 10 player in the league...

Paul has been great but as far as perimeter players go I'll take Kobe, Wade, Lebron, Carter and T-Mac over him and big men like Duncan and KG are better.
VCMVP1551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 02:25 PM   #4
Make It Rain
Banned

Make It Rain has an OK reputation so far

Pierce is not a Top 10 player.
Make It Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 02:26 PM   #5
EricForman
Good college starter

EricForman has decent reputationEricForman has decent reputation

While PP definitely has had a season or two where he was "no doubt a top ten player", but I think he falls short of "top ten every year for the past seasons".

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFly
... over the last 5 season.

I think I mentioned to you guys the conversation I had with an elderly gentleman at the barber shop last month concerning how the Celts were going to suck this season. This was prior to the Garnett trade, but after we had picked up Ray Allen. My stance had been that injuries had made us look much worse than we really were last season, and with Allen's addition to the team, we should do much better... perhaps one of the better teams out East with Allen, Pierce, Jefferson and whoever we got for Ratliff's contract... He maintained that we were going to suck regardless of what we did... that there were no trades that would help us. Well, we all know how that turned out...

Anyway, I had made the claim that PP has been one of the top 10 players in the league over the last 5 or so seasons. For some reason, he had a very low opinion of Paul, but I noticed that some of the other guys in the shop laughed at the assertion as well.

What do you guys think. Is PP worthy of that label, or does he fall short.

And again, should I just stop talking to old people at the barbershop?
EricForman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 02:27 PM   #6
IllegalD
Local High School Star

IllegalD has a bad reputationIllegalD has a bad reputationIllegalD has a bad reputationIllegalD has a bad reputation

In no order:

Kobe
Duncan
LeBron
Dirk
AI
KG
Nash
Wade
TMac
Melo

Others you could make an argument over Pierce:

JKidd, Carter, Amare
IllegalD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 02:29 PM   #7
geeWiz15
Quality Posts

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here

Arguable? It's a fact.

Quote:
Pierce is not a Top 10 player.
Oh, well if you say so, never mind.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 02:29 PM   #8
Make It Rain
Banned

Make It Rain has an OK reputation so far

Players I'd take before Pierce:
Kobe
LeBron
Wade
Duncan
T-Mac
KG
Arenas
Steve Nash
Carmelo Anthony
Amare Stoudemire
Jason Kidd

If I wanted to and had the time I could probably think of 10 more. Pierce is a very versatile player, but he isn't great at any particular aspect of the game. He's not particularly quick, has average ballhandling, and his athleticism isn't on par with possibly half the league.
Make It Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 02:29 PM   #9
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation here

Over the last 5 seasons, possibly?

- Kobe (top 10 all 5 seasons)
- T-Mac (top 10 4 of 5 seaons)
- Iverson (top 10 ? seasons )
- Garnett (top 10 all 5 seasons?)
- Duncan (um)
- Shaq (top 10 4 of 5 seaons)
- Nash (top 10 3 of 5 seasons)
- Dirk (top 10 4 of 5 seasons)
L.Kizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 02:30 PM   #10
Fudge
fʊk ʏu all

Fudge has an incredible reputation hereFudge has an incredible reputation hereFudge has an incredible reputation hereFudge has an incredible reputation hereFudge has an incredible reputation hereFudge has an incredible reputation here

Duncan
Kobe
LeBron
Wade
Garnett
Nash
Nowitzki
McGrady
Melo
Iverson

Eh, probably Top 15.
Fudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 02:31 PM   #11
qwerty
(o_0)

qwerty has decent reputationqwerty has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
Over the last 5 seasons, possibly?

- Kobe (top 10 all 5 seasons)
- T-Mac (top 10 4 of 5 seaons)
- Iverson (top 10 ? seasons )
- Garnett (top 10 all 5 seasons?)
- Duncan (um)
- Shaq (top 10 4 of 5 seaons)
- Nash (top 10 3 of 5 seasons)
- Dirk (top 10 4 of 5 seasons)

Well, Wade and Lebron have been playing for 4 seasons...
qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 02:44 PM   #12
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

MaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricForman
While PP definitely has had a season or two where he was "no doubt a top ten player", but I think he falls short of "top ten every year for the past seasons".

No, I didn't mean that he was a top 10 player each of these last few years, and I made sure to make that clear. I meant that in looking at the last 5 or so years as a whole, I thought that he could be considered one of the top 10 players of that period.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:51 PM   #13
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make It Rain
Kobe
LeBron
Wade
Duncan
T-Mac
KG
Arenas
Steve Nash
Carmelo Anthony
Amare Stoudemire
Jason Kidd

If I wanted to and had the time I could probably think of 10 more. Pierce is a very versatile player, but he isn't great at any particular aspect of the game. He's not particularly quick, has average ballhandling, and his athleticism isn't on par with possibly half the league.

Carmelo and Arenas... no... Amare... he's missed quite a bit of time... I'm not sure how he makes the list. He played 3 games in 05-06 and only 55 in 03-04. Amare is a better player now, but over the last 5 years... no...
Old 08-16-2007, 02:52 PM   #14
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
Arguable? It's a fact.

Oh, well if you say so, never mind.

Of course I believe it's a fact... I'm simply trying to be diplomatic about all of this. Old man's lucky I didn't trip him.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:01 PM   #15
elz
Dylan spits hot fire!

elz has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make It Rain
Kobe
LeBron
Wade
Duncan
T-Mac
KG
Arenas
Steve Nash
Carmelo Anthony
Amare Stoudemire
Jason Kidd

I have Pierce at around 11 or 12 just outside the top 10

Reason Pierce ain't higher is for all the wrong reasons!
If he was on TV more or on more highlights for dunks.
He'd be higher on most peoples list. We get to see Paul all the time in Boston. He's a great player on a terrible team and because he's a scorer and not a dunker and he's not droppin 40 and 50 people have him undervalued. People don't recall him and Antione going to the eastern conference finals anymore. No one remember Paul easily pooring in 40 when Walker was hear. If Paul Had better Teammates he'd murder teams. Pauls numbers are pretty much the same as every SG and SF on that list. Paul would score more points if Doc didn't run the offense threw Paul the same way Houston runs their offense through Mcgrady. They'll be reminded this yr when no one can double team him like they use to. And considering We won our Division with Just Paul and Ricky davis one yr you'd think he'd get a little more respect
elz is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: