Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-11-2007, 02:24 AM   #1
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputation
Default Who were all of the GOATs in NBA History?

Since the beginnings of the NBA back when it wasn't even called the NBA (BAA), George Mikan was teaaing up the league. He was voted the greatest basketball player the first half of the decade by the The Associated Press.

He was the greatest player of All-Time up until Bill Russell took the crown from him as reported by Professional Basketball Writers Association of America in 1980.

Michael Jordan has since took over the top billing from both of these great big men as the Greatest of All-Time.

These are only 3 of the GOATs of NBA history, as their has been other will will probally be many more to come.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 03:34 AM   #2
DieHardBullsFan
Da Bulls! Da Bears!

DieHardBullsFan has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Who were all of the GOATs in NBA History?

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
Since the beginnings of the NBA back when it wasn't even called the NBA (BAA), George Mikan was teaaing up the league. He was voted the greatest basketball player the first half of the decade by the The Associated Press.

He was the greatest player of All-Time up until Bill Russell took the crown from him as reported by Professional Basketball Writers Association of America in 1980.

Michael Jordan has since took over the top billing from both of these great big men as the Greatest of All-Time.

These are only 3 of the GOATs of NBA history, as their has been other will will probally be many more to come.

what is your definition of "Goat"....when I think of Goats, I think of these guys:

John Starks in game 7 of the NBA finals
Nick Anderson in the 95 NBA finals
Patrick Ewing missing a putback in game 7 of the 95 ECSF
Tracy Mcgrady in all of his first round series
Karl Malone in the 2004 NBA finals
DieHardBullsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 03:37 AM   #3
-primetime-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHardBullsFan
what is your definition of "Goat"....when I think of Goats, I think of these guys:

John Starks in game 7 of the NBA finals
Nick Anderson in the 95 NBA finals
Patrick Ewing missing a putback in game 7 of the 95 ECSF
Tracy Mcgrady in all of his first round series
Karl Malone in the 2004 NBA finals
Greatest
Of
All
Time

G.O.A.T.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:42 AM   #4
DieHardBullsFan
Da Bulls! Da Bears!

DieHardBullsFan has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by -primetime-
Greatest
Of
All
Time

G.O.A.T.

lol ahhhh ok I get ya

my bad!
DieHardBullsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 08:55 AM   #5
jo3y91
lebron stole my shoes!

jo3y91 has an OK reputation so far

goats?

i say kobe for our era atm.

if anyone lists these 2 ppl they are stupid. nowitzki and nash.

both overrated white boys.

only people that should be listed are duncan shaq and kobe.
jo3y91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 09:10 AM   #6
Good Old Willy
DBDs

Good Old Willy is considered somewhat coolGood Old Willy is considered somewhat coolGood Old Willy is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo3y91
i say kobe for our era atm.

Believe the point is, a 'new' goat would have to be better than the previous to take the reign. And no one is saying that any of todays stars have had a better career and were better in their prime than MJ. So far.

Let's say Kobe wins a few more championships, a few MVPs, sets a few records, then maybe. But a further 1, 1, 1, and 1 won't cut it.
Good Old Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 09:17 AM   #7
snipes12
Dirk Madness

snipes12 has not been impressing people

when will the goat threads end ..
snipes12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 09:20 AM   #8
jailer
MillionDollarException

jailer has an OK reputation so far

Wow that list sucks.What about Kareem abduljabar.Or Wilt Chamberlin?.Or Oscar robertson?Jordan this and jordan that.It's disrespectful for othesrs that have acomplished the same if not more.Not to be mentioned.
jailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 10:28 AM   #9
AI Nuggets3
Decent college freshman

AI Nuggets3 has an OK reputation so far

before 1988 or 1989, Bird was in the argument. a lot of players, former players, coaches, writers, etc were calling him the GOAT.

Sports Illustrated even proclaimed him the GOAT. and he could've been had his body lasted into the 90s.
AI Nuggets3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 10:47 AM   #10
brantonli
In Morey We Trust!

brantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

BULLS, L. Kizzle is talking about GOATs of that generation, for instance when the league was still early, Mikan seemed to be the GOAT, he's talking about perspective from Mikan's era's standpoint, not from a modern standpoint, and then counting up how many G.O.A.T.s there were in total.
brantonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 11:23 AM   #11
wally_world
M0derator

wally_world has decent reputationwally_world has decent reputation

Skills Goat
Larry Bird/Magic Johnson (2 of the most talented and skillful playas)

Stats Goat
Wilt Chamberlain (it isn't even close)

Accomplishments Goat
Bill Russell (the main man for 10+ rings)

Hype/Money Goat
Michael Jordon (the person who brought NBA back to life and paid the rest of the players their salary)
wally_world is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 05:08 PM   #12
D-Fence
Great young streetballer

D-Fence has decent reputation

For the first two seasons of the BAA, Joe Fulks was the GOAT for the league. George Mikan was in the NBL then. Fulks figured prominently in The Associated Pess vote, too, if I recall correctly. Hank Luisetti, who was a pro, but not in the BAA, NBL or NBA, was neck and neck with Mikan in that vote (but Mikan was in the midst of his career). George Mikan was the clear GOAT after a while, though.

Yeah, then it was Bill Russell. Wilt Chamberlain had a lot of supporters from the beginning, too. The media was more on Chamberlain side in the beginning, then shifted towards Russell (where players and most fans had tended to be), but now most have gone completely to Chamberlain.

Kareem, Bird and Magic have significant supporters, too. Jordan, of course. Kalb said Shaq--he's not alone.
D-Fence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 05:18 PM   #13
Loki
Banned

Loki is considered somewhat coolLoki is considered somewhat cool

The progression of the absolute best of the best:

Mikan
Pettit
Russell
Wilt
Kareem
Magic/Bird
Jordan
Shaq
Duncan
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 05:21 PM   #14
xxxSuperStar
I Like Tacos

xxxSuperStar has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULLS
Oh, ok.

50's era = Bill Russell

60's era = Wilt Chamberlain

70's era = Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

80's era = Magic/Bird

90's era = Michael Jordan

00's era = Shaq/Kobe

The 80's and 00's need a coin flip, because both are way too close to make a definite decision

I am dense ^^
Reading comprehension is a skill^^
xxxSuperStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 05:32 PM   #15
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Id also say Bird would have had peoples support for GOAT going into the 87 finals. SI named hims the best ever in like 86. Kareem probably took it around 89 when people started heaping the praise on him as he left. Overall...

Mikan
Bob Pettit
Wilt
Bird
Kareem(I assume Wilt and Russell were ranked higher all time all during his prime)
MJ starting around 92 and going on to today. Nobody has taken his status in the eys of most.

I left out Russell not for personal opinion but because I think most of the basketball world had Cousy over Russell the first few titles in that period. Both Bobs made more money than Bill and probbaly got more credit. Bill never got paid till Wilt came along and got 100,000 a year and Red gave Russell 100,001 just to support Bills case as the most valuable bigman and player. Red himself has said they didnt really understand the value of what Bill did back then. Players did im sure. They voted him MVP in one season. Players voted on MVP back then(the two Bobs got the other 3 in that 4 year period). Fans were slow to see his impact though.

If its by my opinion Russell was the GOAT from his rookie year till Wilts but going by what they people probably thought? It may have been Cousy getting the love after Petitt and not Bill.

Last edited by Kblaze8855 : 08-12-2007 at 05:35 PM.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: