Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-10-2007, 08:52 PM   #1
BostonsAccent
I hit open 5-footers

BostonsAccent has an OK reputation so far
Default Ok. Weak Eras do not exist.

There is no such thing as a weak era. 20 years from now people could be calling us a weak era. Why? Because the game has evolved. Some people call the 60's a weak era. Why? Because we know what we do about the game 40 years later. 40 years you can obtain a lot of new knowledge. The players in the 60's didn't have this knowledge, so they had to work with what they had. Which was far less than what we know now. Great players were ahead of their time which is a reason why they're good. Not because they were in a weak era, because they used their own knowledge to their advantage.
BostonsAccent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:53 PM   #2
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: Ok. Weak Eras do not exist.

There was this era when this 6 foot 10 dude who averaged 18/12 on the Celtics was one of the best players in the game. That was a weak era.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:55 PM   #3
BostonsAccent
I hit open 5-footers

BostonsAccent has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
There was this era when this 6 foot 10 dude who averaged 18/12 on the Celtics was one of the best players in the game. That was a weak era.

No. Look at KG, 6'11 and his stats. Would you call this a weak era?
BostonsAccent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:56 PM   #4
poorlilrich
woop woop

poorlilrich is popular on this boardpoorlilrich is popular on this boardpoorlilrich is popular on this boardpoorlilrich is popular on this board

weak eras do exist

Cassey Fossum had a 7.70 era in 76 innings before being put on the DL.

In my opinion thats a pretty damn weak era.
poorlilrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:56 PM   #5
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation here

I agree, no such thing as a weak era. I also hate the term inflated when talking about the 50's, 60's and 70's.

They scored more and rebounded more because the game was different/faster.
L.Kizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:03 PM   #6
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater

XxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation here

Mental midgets are the only people that think the Wilt era was weak. Also the same people who think Jordan would suddenly become an average athlete if he played today.
XxNeXuSxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:04 PM   #7
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

IGOTGAME has a near all-star reputation hereIGOTGAME has a near all-star reputation hereIGOTGAME has a near all-star reputation hereIGOTGAME has a near all-star reputation hereIGOTGAME has a near all-star reputation hereIGOTGAME has a near all-star reputation here

I believe that times when it was difficult for African Americans to play ball were weak...see George Mikan
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:05 PM   #8
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater

XxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULLS
WEAK...
Hey Bulls let me ask you a question, why do you think Shaq declined after he went to the Heat?
Old 08-10-2007, 09:08 PM   #9
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
No. Look at KG, 6'11 and his stats. Would you call this a weak era?
WHAT?

Many people don't even consider KG top 5 and he averages 23/13/5+ every single season along with some of the best defense and most versatile defense ever played. HORRIBLE point. Plus it's in the modern era. He's getting 14 rebounds in this era.

The guy I'm talking about (had to look him up) is Dave Cowens. Had a couple 20/15 seasons, but from what I can gather was mostly a hustle guy. And he's considered a top 50 all time player right? Why? Because of the era in which he played. If he played in any other era I have a feeling he'd be completely forgotten. I surely can't see how he's as good as even Elton Brand. And I don't think Brand is considered top 10 today. Therefore....... this era is much stronger than that one...

I mean seriously who the hell played in the 70s? The 70s sucked. You had Julius Erving I guess. Kareem. 60s were top of the line, 80s were top of the line, and between that, what? You never hear stories about the 70s, legends from the 70s. 70s were an era of basketball deadweight. Why do they say Magic and bird saved the NBA? Know when they came around? 1980. The leagued needed saving.

Note: Kareem averaged 35/17 around the year Cowens was putting up 20/15 so just kinda put that in perspective.

Last edited by geeWiz15 : 08-10-2007 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:09 PM   #10
kumquat
College superstar

kumquat is considered somewhat coolkumquat is considered somewhat coolkumquat is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonsAccent
There is no such thing as a weak era. 20 years from now people could be calling us a weak era.

Yes there is such a thing as a weak era. I'm calling it the other way. To say 20 years from now people might be calling this a weak era might be right. Consider the late 80's early 90's flat out killed this era. Why because they had fundamentals, high bball iq and athleticism.
kumquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:10 PM   #11
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater

Quote:
When players get older, they lose the athleticism they once had in their prime. Basketball is a game so heavily based on athleticism, so for the most part, you won't see guys, dominating when they are over 33 years old.
Don't you mean, "LMAO AT 33 BEING OVER THE HILL " , Smokee?
Old 08-10-2007, 09:12 PM   #12
Rocketz_Foreva
I airball my layups

Rocketz_Foreva has an OK reputation so far

Yo, Bullz, you spittin some crazi shyt. but i gotz to spit dat you rong az hell cuzzzzz
Rocketz_Foreva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:13 PM   #13
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
The guy I'm talking about (had to look him up) is Dave Cowens. Had a couple 20/15 seasons, but from what I can gather was mostly a hustle guy. And he's considered a top 50 all time player right? Why? Because of the era in which he played. If he played in any other era I have a feeling he'd be completely forgotten. I surely can't see how he's as good as even Elton Brand.
How many games from Dave Cowens' era have you seen, nevermind from Cowens himself?

Case dismissed.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:15 PM   #14
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
No, they scored more because of the missing rules. Scrubs could camp in the lane forever. The guys were incredibly slow back then, so how was the game faster? They are called inflated stats.

Iverson and Ford alone would run the entire 60's-70's out of the gym.
What missing rules? The lanes widening were taking place around that time until the early 60's. The guys were slow maybe back in the 40's and early 50's when Mikan was running around and their was no shot clock. By the late 60's when Baylor, Wilt and Russell entered the league, it was much faster. How do you think teams scored so high.

What do you think about Jessie Owens? Was he really fast or was he running in a WEAK era?
L.Kizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:20 PM   #15
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

Quote:
How many games from Dave Cowens' era have you seen, nevermind from Cowens himself?

Case dismissed.
Nobody alive has witnessed the Civil War but we still talk about it.

None of us has spoken to President Bush or probably ever seen him in person yet people are lining up to talk about how retarded he is.

Do you realize that there is a legitimate branch of science devoted to things that are so small we cannot see them with the smallest microscope? Do you get that everything you have been told about the world, from dinosaurs to evolution to how the earth was formed to recorded history itself to astronomy is based not even on observation of an elite few but INDIRECT EVIDENCE AND CONJECTURE from an elite few?

Yet we still talk about it, and legitimately.

Don't gimmie this ****, please. How many countless idiots on this board look at Oscar Robinson's stats without seeing one second of footage and put him into their top 5 all time and passionately defend their choice? I can count on one hand how many people here watched basketball during Cowens era and I bet you aren't one of em either.

You don't need to see something to talk about it. So why don't we stop playing games and actually discuss something for a change.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: