Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-30-2007, 09:38 PM   #1
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default why do some players never improve their FT percentage?

-laziness?
-poor coaching?
-mental block?
-combination of all 3?

To me, it's inexcusable for an NBA player to shoot a poor percentage from the line. It's the easiest shot in the game. A professional basketball player should be able to place the ball correctly in his hands, and deliver a shot with proper rotation.

The reason I mentioned are the only 3 reasons I can think as to why certain players miss FT's.

Also, other than perhaps Karl Malone, has there ever been another player to dramatically improve their percentage over the course of their career?
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:39 PM   #2
rknine15
Buckets Baby

rknine15 is considered somewhat coolrknine15 is considered somewhat coolrknine15 is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: why do some players never improve their FT percentage?

big hands
rknine15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:41 PM   #3
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by rknine15
big hands

No excuse. A good coach should be able to help a player address that problem.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:42 PM   #4
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I think the reason Lebron shoots poorly is because of a mental block that he has when he steps up to the line. Many player most likely have the same problem as him but in some cases it has to do with poor technique.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:10 PM   #5
RandomBalla55
Local High School Star

RandomBalla55 has decent reputation

First of all, some people have sloppy mechanics at the line and simply do not try to improve. It completely baffles me at how Duncan makes FTs. Dude holds the ball for like 5 seconds in a frozen glance and then chucks it. Amazing.

The much more better reason is that they are HARD to do when your tired. It's easy for us to go down to the park now and line up at the line. You think NBA players aren't gassed in the waning moments? If you run hard for like an hour or two straight then go to the line. If it's easy you have great conditioning. When you tired, you get lazy, and therefore you don't do your FTs properly.

And lay off (Ben) Wallace, although his FT% is rather pathetic. He has something messed up in his wrists.

Last edited by RandomBalla55 : 07-30-2007 at 10:13 PM.
RandomBalla55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:29 PM   #6
Rockets(T-mac)
NBA sixth man of the year

Rockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputation

A lot of them are from bad form(bad coaching) and laziness, they just don't don't put much effert into practising them.
Rockets(T-mac) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:54 PM   #7
pj24lal

pj24lal has an OK reputation so far

You can make the case for people like Shaq and Big Ben that they just don't have great hand-eye coordination. But when it comes to LeBron and maybe Duncan.... I doubt it's lack of determination or practice, just a mental block. Both LBJ and Duncan up their FT% by about 10% in the clutch part of games so it may just be a mental block or subconcious lack of urgency/effort.
pj24lal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:59 PM   #8
brwnman

brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation

Well maybe because i'm a guard, but free throw shooting has been one of the easiest things for me to do... just the other day at the park - not even at the gym (nicer/better rims) - I nailed 26 in a row, with a bad follow-up of 4 of 6, then nailed another 17 straight free-throws... for me, all it took was concentration...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 11:12 PM   #9
TheHonestTruth
Banned

TheHonestTruth has no real reputation yet.

There should be a rule in the league that says if you have more than 100 FTA and make less than 60% then you are sent to the NBDL for a season.
TheHonestTruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 11:12 PM   #10
TheHonestTruth
Banned

TheHonestTruth has no real reputation yet.

There should be a rule in the league that says if you have more than 100 FTA and make less than 60% then you are sent to the NBDL for a season.
TheHonestTruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 11:20 PM   #11
mateo31
Go ahead, make my day.

mateo31 has an OK reputation so far

I have not played in an organized basketball league for about 5 years now, but when I played I was a fairly inconsistent foul shooter. I would have games where I would go 6/6 from the line, then the next game I would go 1/6. It was very frustrating. I would try to work hard in the offseasons on my foul shooting. Who knows? I had a decent mid range jump shot.
mateo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 11:22 PM   #12
Agent_Zero
Great college starter

Agent_Zero is considered somewhat coolAgent_Zero is considered somewhat cool

Laziness, lack of effort are the main reasons. Plus, they think they are too good to worry about free throws until they find themselves at the line and think "Shyt, I should worked on this for those extra 10 minutes yesterday."

They miss, their team loses. Yet, they don't learn and keep missing free throw after free throw. It's inexcusable.
Agent_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 11:23 PM   #13
brwnman

brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo31
I have not played in an organized basketball league for about 5 years now, but when I played I was a fairly inconsistent foul shooter. I would have games where I would go 6/6 from the line, then the next game I would go 1/6. It was very frustrating. I would try to work hard in the offseasons on my foul shooting. Who knows? I had a decent mid range jump shot.

that's pretty ironic... my jumpshot is very streaky, but I can hit freethrows like it's nothing... with my jumpshot, if i'm on, it's over... if it's off, ugh, it can get bad...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 11:27 PM   #14
DirtyB41
I hit open layups

DirtyB41 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981
-laziness?
-poor coaching?
-mental block?
-combination of all 3?

To me, it's inexcusable for an NBA player to shoot a poor percentage from the line. It's the easiest shot in the game. A professional basketball player should be able to place the ball correctly in his hands, and deliver a shot with proper rotation.

The reason I mentioned are the only 3 reasons I can think as to why certain players miss FT's.

Also, other than perhaps Karl Malone, has there ever been another player to dramatically improve their percentage over the course of their career?

I don't think it's the easiest shot in the game, it's often harder. Have you ever tried to shoot free throws with 20,000 people screaming at you? It's difficult. When you're shooting during game action, the crowd isn't much of a factor; you're focused in and you can't really hear them. But when you know it's all eyes on you, and the crowd noise kicks up a notch, it's not as easy as it would seem.
DirtyB41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 11:36 PM   #15
RandomBalla55
Local High School Star

RandomBalla55 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyB41
I don't think it's the easiest shot in the game, it's often harder. Have you ever tried to shoot free throws with 20,000 people screaming at you? It's difficult. When you're shooting during game action, the crowd isn't much of a factor; you're focused in and you can't really hear them. But when you know it's all eyes on you, and the crowd noise kicks up a notch, it's not as easy as it would seem.

Oh yes, that too. Crowd noise, pressure, FATIGUE as well. All of you cats saying you can make these at the park, well thats good. 20,000 people looking at you and your tired too?

This post and mine really are the real answers. Mental toughness, fatigue, lack of form, as well as laziness really are the answers.
RandomBalla55 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: