Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-08-2007, 12:22 PM   #1
BFRESH44
College star

BFRESH44 has an OK reputation so far
Default Riley makes a recruiting pitch to Mo Williams....

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/b...la-sports-heat

Quote:
Heat makes pitch to Mo Williams

By Ira Winderman
South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Posted July 8 2007, 12:02 PM EDT

Miami -- An NBA source confirmed Sunday that Heat coach Pat Riley and members of the team's front office met Saturday with Bucks free-agent point guard Mo Williams.

With incumbent starter Jason Williams having proven injury prone the past two seasons and now entering the final year of his contract, the Heat has been in the market for a ballhandler.

While the Heat is over the salary cap and therefore would be limited to an offer of the mid-level exception, which would provide for a starting salary of $5.5 million to $6 million next season, Williams is believed to be seeking a far greater package.

Among the options for the Heat could be a sign-and-trade deal with the Bucks, one that possibly could include Jason Williams.

Agent Mark Bartelstein said last week he considered Mo Williams and Chauncey Billups to be the only elite point guards available in free agency. Billups came to terms last week to return to the Pistons with a package that reportedly averages $12 million over five seasons.

Williams, 24, is a 6-foot-1 point guard known as much for seeking his own shot as creating shots for others. He ranked 24th in the league last season in shots per 48 minutes, but also 22nd in assists. He ranked 47th in the league's overall efficiency rating.

The 2003 Jazz second-round draft choice averaged 17.3 points last season in taking advantage of the injury absences of Bucks shooting guard Michael Redd, with an 11.3 overall scoring average in his four seasons.

The Heat has explored several options at point guard since the July 1 start of the free-agent negotiation period, including Hollywood native Steve Blake.

The free-agent signing period opens Wednesday, when the league will announce the 2007-08 salary cap, the amount of the 2007-08 mid-level exception and the threshold for the 2007-08 dollar-for-dollar luxury tax on excessive payrolls.

While looking to fortify itself at point guard, the Heat also has been dealing with the free-agency of forward James Posey, who also is a Bartelstein client.

Mo Williams is the absolute perfect fit to Wade as a PG...I mean PERFECT. Can play off the ball, can create offense, and has a scorers mentality.

It's all coming down to money though..It's doubtful Mo takes the MLE...Could be using Miami as leverage to force the hand of Bucks...

However with the Bucks current offer reportedly at 5yrs/40 mill...When you consider state income tax, the Full MLE is not that far off...And then it'll basically comes down to where he wants to be? South Florida with Riles, D-Wade, and The Diesel? Or cold ass Wisconsin again?

Doubt the Bucks agree to a sign and trade as well...

Last edited by BFRESH44 : 07-08-2007 at 12:34 PM.
BFRESH44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 12:29 PM   #2
OneWay
GREATEST OF ALL TIME!!

OneWay has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Riley makes a recruiting pitch to Mo Williams....

He's probably staying with the Bucks as they will offer the most money but I like Riley's approach. I'd like to see Mo in Miami but I think he's using them as a leverage to get more money from the Bucks.
Still who knows, as you said, Miami is a much better place than Milwaukee and the Heat have Shaq, Wade and Riley so who knows.
OneWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 12:30 PM   #3
Real Men Wear Green
BathFrog of Doom

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Wade doesn't need a pg with a scorer's mentality.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 12:38 PM   #4
BFRESH44
College star

BFRESH44 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
Wade doesn't need a pg with a scorer's mentality.

Not necessarily, but a Mo Williams type is a much better fit aside him than than the pass first variety... Wade is basically the Heat's PG in the half court set. Mo Williams is a scorer, and plays very well off the ball. That's a perfect fit.

And the Heat need a third scoring option, and a player who can consistently create offesne..

They also have a dire need for a more compentant point guard(J-Will's knees are shot)...

Nabbing Mo Wiliams would be killing two birds with one stone right there...

Last edited by BFRESH44 : 07-08-2007 at 12:52 PM.
BFRESH44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 12:56 PM   #5
aj242
I hit open 5-footers

aj242 has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWay
He's probably staying with the Bucks as they will offer the most money but I like Riley's approach. I'd like to see Mo in Miami but I think he's using them as a leverage to get more money from the Bucks.
Still who knows, as you said, Miami is a much better place than Milwaukee and the Heat have Shaq, Wade and Riley so who knows.

Agreed. Apparently, the Bucks are offering 5 years for 40 million dollars. That's only 2 million more a year more then the exception.

He has to show them for that I'd be willing to leave. In the end the Bucks will up the offer & he will stay. At least I think they will.
aj242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 01:19 PM   #6
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

5yrs $40mil is a fair deal for Mo.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 01:20 PM   #7
adamcz
Bucks fan

adamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cool

If Mo signs a 5 year deal, for how many of those years will Shaq be better than Bogut? Maybe just the first year? Possibly none of the years? I don't see Shaq at this stage of his career as something that I'd pass up money for the "honor" of playing next to. He'll be playing 60 games a season, and not putting up double doubles. So let's lay off of using that as a major selling point.

As for the weather - Miami's weather is nicer, but no matter where you sign, you have to play games in Milwaukee, Minnesota, Detroit, Boston, New York, New Jersey, Philly, Portland, Seattle, Utah, Denver, Chicago, Toronto.... Plus many players don't live in the cities they play in. Maybe sunny weather is that important to you guys, but I personally prefer more moderate climates, and I wouldn't presume to know what Mo or any other player prefers.

Wade is the best player on either team, but Milwaukee has some nice players too - Redd, Yi, Villanueva.

I wouldn't count on the fact that Miami looks like a better destination.
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 01:21 PM   #8
adamcz
Bucks fan

adamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj242
He has to show them for that I'd be willing to leave. In the end the Bucks will up the offer & he will stay. At least I think they will.
I wouldn't up the offer. If he doesn't want to play in Milwaukee for more money, then he obviously doesn't want to be here. Go take less money then, you unappreciative *****!
Old 07-08-2007, 01:36 PM   #9
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I agree that Mo would be a good fit next to Wade. He can shoot, so you can spot him up on the weakside when Wade has the ball. I don't think you want a PG who can't be productive without the ball next to Wade, because you want Wade with the ball to make plays, otherwise you lose a some of his value. I never thought Jason Williams was a great fit next to Wade, just like the rediculously proposed deal where the Heat get Rafer Alston seems like an awful fit (in addition to Rafer Alston just not being very good, and overpaid).

I actually thought Mo would make for a good fit with the Lakers.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 01:44 PM   #10
Rockets(T-mac)
NBA sixth man of the year

Rockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputation

If Miami could grab him that would be great for them but I doubt he will take the "honor" over the 2mil more a year. He is still young so money is more important. I think he will stay in Milwaukee.
Rockets(T-mac) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 01:45 PM   #11
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcz
I wouldn't up the offer. If he doesn't want to play in Milwaukee for more money, then he obviously doesn't want to be here. Go take less money then, you unappreciative *****!

I love how everyone who doesn't want to play in Milwaukee is automatically a bad person by this guy's definition. First Yi, now Mo Williams.

I dunno, I don't know if PG should be the number one priority right now for the Heat. I think they need to find a low-post scorer to complement Haslem, or sort out that mess they have at SF by getting a talent that can be Wade's Pippen.

Shaq is a big question mark, and Zo is even a year older I think. Haslem is a great talent, very dependable, does all the little things, rebounds fairly well and has a decent 15 footer, but he doesn't seem to have a scorers mentality.

And the Heat are loaded at SF, but they're mostly aging, and none of them really stands out of the pack. Dorrell Wright seems to be a promising young talent, but is he ready to be a starter?

Posey seems to have some attitude issues, that have gotten him into a lot of flagrant problems (not that that would bother Riley, who coached the Knicks in the 90's) and he really isn't going to be a second fiddle to Wade, because he doesn't really fit the scorers mentality either.

A. Walker seems to show no signs of returning to his former all star form, of being one of the most scary triple threat players in the league. Instead he's kind've a bigger version of Donyell Marshall, standing back and chucking threes all game long.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 01:52 PM   #12
aj242
I hit open 5-footers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
5yrs $40mil is a fair deal for Mo.

I agree but it doesn't hurt to try & squeeze more money out if you can. I saw where is agent what's Hinrich money. Well that's 10 million. Does he deserve that? Probably not, but again it make your agent try.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:54 PM   #13
aj242
I hit open 5-footers

Default I disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
I agree that Mo would be a good fit next to Wade. He can shoot, so you can spot him up on the weakside when Wade has the ball. I don't think you want a PG who can't be productive without the ball next to Wade, because you want Wade with the ball to make plays, otherwise you lose a some of his value. I never thought Jason Williams was a great fit next to Wade, just like the rediculously proposed deal where the Heat get Rafer Alston seems like an awful fit (in addition to Rafer Alston just not being very good, and overpaid).

I actually thought Mo would make for a good fit with the Lakers.

When healthy Jason Williams has been terrific with Wade. However he's been limping off & on for years now.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:07 PM   #14
adamcz
Bucks fan

Default Re: I disagree.

http://www.insidehoops.com/blogs/?p=33
Quote:
So Mo Williams spent a day getting wined and dined by Pat Riley down in sunny Florida, and we’re left to worry that he will bolt for income tax-free, Dwyane Wade-inhabited Miami. After Wisconsin’s 6.75% income taxes reduce Mo’s reported 5 year $40 million contract offer to $37.3 million, Miami’s full mid-level exception offer of around $35 million isn’t looking like such a drastic difference. Plus, the Heat are simply a better team than the Bucks are.

But for how long? Shaq is already 35 years old, and played only 99 games (out of a possible 164) over the past two seasons. His rebounding has declined in each of the past three seasons, and he just shot a career low .422 from the foul line. Let’s not confuse the Shaq that Mo would be joining with the one who dominated the Western Conference from ‘96-’07. Nothing needs to be said about what Dwyane Wade is capable of - even without Shaq - but Mo would be joining what is nearly a one-man team.

The Bucks meanwhile are bursting at the seems with high-potential big men (Bogut, Villanueva, Yi) and polished perimeter scorers (Redd, Bell), who will provide Mo with the opportunity to average 2 or 3 more assists a game than he would in Miami. And if any one of those young big men become a legit allstar-level player? The future in Milwaukee will be looking awfully bright.

I don’t think Mo will accept a smaller contract to play in Miami, but if that turns out to be what he really wants, let him go. Don’t ruin the Bucks financial future by making a counter-offer along the lines of what Kirk Hinrich earned in Chicago. Mo’s an exciting player who can score, pass, and rebound solidly. On the other hand, his horrid defense means that he will never be the ideal partner for Michael Redd, or any other non-superstar. Eight million a year is a contract that we can reasonably expect him to grow into, but ten million a year is approaching all-star territory, and Mo is simply not that kind of player.

Losing Mo for nothing would be a fitting end to a season that included 184 games missed by starters, a lottery disaster, and a draft pick that doesn’t want to play for us. But we still need to make sane financial decisions and think about the future when the present doesn’t include the possibility of a championship.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:08 PM   #15
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Is that article plagarized because i am watching sports center and the first sentence or two was said exactly the same.

Goodbye Mo Mile fans. South Beach is where it is at!
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: