Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-06-2007, 10:26 PM   #16
Glove_20
The Expert

Glove_20 is considered somewhat coolGlove_20 is considered somewhat coolGlove_20 is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Players from the Past are getting overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
are you kidding me??? the ISH rankings are almost perfect.
Not really...

1. Jordan
2. Kareem
3. Wilt
4. Magic
5. Bird
6. Russell
7. O'Neal
8. Hakeem
9. Big O
10. Duncan
11. West
12. Moses
13. Erving
14. Havlicek
15. Malone

Baylor
Pettit

is what it should've been. And the ones bolded are the ones who were too low on ISH's list. Underlined too high on ISH's list.
Glove_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:29 PM   #17
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

knickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glove_20
Not really...

1. Jordan
2. Kareem
3. Wilt
4. Magic
5. Bird
6. Russell
7. O'Neal
8. Hakeem
9. Big O
10. Duncan
11. West
12. Moses
13. Erving
14. Havlicek
15. Malone

Baylor
Pettit

is what it should've been. And the ones bolded are the ones who were too low on ISH's list. Underlined too high on ISH's list.

So since you bolded Kareem are u seriously saying he should be ahead of Jordan????
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:29 PM   #18
Glove_20
The Expert

Glove_20 is considered somewhat coolGlove_20 is considered somewhat coolGlove_20 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
Actually I think older players get underrated moreso the overrated, but that normal. Beside the Wilts, and Wests and what not you don't really here about the Nate Thurmand's and the Nate Archibald's.
Nate Archibald? He is overrated. Or he is forgotten. For the people who know him, they usually overrate him, and the others just don't remember him
Old 07-06-2007, 10:30 PM   #19
Glove_20
The Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickscity
So since you bolded Kareem are u seriously saying he should be ahead pf Jordan????
No that was MY list. I have Kareem at 2nd. The ISH list has Kareem at 3rd. So I bolded Kareem on my list, to show that I have moved him up and should be higher on ISH's list
Old 07-06-2007, 10:34 PM   #20
Glove_20
The Expert

Quote:
You really don't understand the past in reference to basketball.

Back in the day a guy with NBA skills could make the same money in Rucker Park. Tax free. I can think of quite a few that could very well have played in the NBA but chose to make that "cash" outside.

Then of course it was harder for blacks to get in the NBA because of colleges that wasn't gonna risk themselves with average Joes. You truly had to be a "star" type player to even get recognized.

But if reference to the L today, on most teams 5-6 players on any team would not have been good enough to play back then at all. At least 150 current NBA players are garbage by back-in-the-day-standards.

Yeah and thats what I was saying. Since for whatever reasons many didn't play in the NBA, therefore the competition was less. Like you said, some didn't play and went to Rucker's Park, others didn't play because of their race. So the players who dominated in the past, played with less competition.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:36 PM   #21
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

knickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Yeah and thats what I was saying. Since for whatever reasons many didn't play in the NBA, therefore the competition was less. Like you said, some didn't play and went to Rucker's Park, others didn't play because of their race. So the players who dominated in the past, played with less competition.

But don't you think the L is vastly watered down now????
Old 07-06-2007, 10:38 PM   #22
Glove_20
The Expert

Quote:
But don't you think the L is vastly watered down now????
Maybe now, but in the 80s/90s it was great...Right now we are going through the time frame in the NBA that occured in the late 70s
Old 07-06-2007, 10:42 PM   #23
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Nate Archibald? He is overrated. Or he is forgotten. For the people who know him, they usually overrate him, and the others just don't remember him
Not excactly Nate Archibald, but just old timers in general (he's just the first to come to my mind)
L.Kizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:42 PM   #24
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Quote:
Maybe now, but in the 80s/90s it was great...Right now we are going through the time frame in the NBA that occured in the late 70s
The majority of HOFers came from the 70's.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:57 PM   #25
Showtime
Hardwood Hero

Showtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
After seeing the "ISH ranking thread", I have seen this happen...

BEFORE:

No one knew the oldern players so they were always missed and underrated. They were underrated on this board. Few posters talked about the players from the past. And besides being past mosts time, many people dismissed them because everyone pictured them as "nonathletic" or whatever..

NOW:

Now players from the past really HAVE become slightly overrated, some more than others....Many are looking too much into their accomplishments and forget 1 thing about all players from the past...

Though I don't knock them from playing less athletic and having less basketball knowledge (Since if they played today with modern technology/knowledge they would be just as good)

but the fact that basketball wasn't as popular back then, and since it wasn't, less played, therefore they had less competition.

You just have to remember that, and always knock that from oldern players, so thats why I am saying now people on this board slightly overrate oldern players and forget that there wasn't that many basketball players back then so they had less competition.
IMO, because of the many factors that have changed in the game and the players from different eras compared to today, the only true way to evaluate a player is to see how they performed against their peers, and what objective people who watched the game at that time have to say about them. With this in mind, I don't see how guys like Robinson and Pettit are overrated.
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:22 PM   #26
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

Silent Mav has decent reputationSilent Mav has decent reputation
Default Re: The Ranking Threads

Quote:

Yeah since they already back then knew the exact and proper techniques to shoot and dribble...

And once again, I am not using that as a knock back, since if they played today they would have just as much knowledge...

Glove are you trying to say basketball knowledge and basketball IQ are two different things? And that shooting and dribbling are basketball knowledge?

Of course back when they were changing from the set shot to the jump shot, the first jump shots looked ugly. Partly because they were and partly because it was different. Like in football when it moved from a straight on kicker to soccer style that is used today.

And there were many players in the 60's and 70's that had just as pretty jumpers as players in the 80's through today. Just as there are players today with terrible form. The same with dribbling. Eddie Johnson said that Maravich did things with the ball without committing violations that players today can't do. Or is just everyone mesmerized by a crossover these days?

Rebounding as well. Guys like Russell and Walton that knew where the ball was going and positioned themselves for it. And the way Walton would come down already twisting and looking for the outlet pass is a long forgotten art.

So you are saying that today's players have more knowledge due to knowing proper techiniques to shoot and dribble. Yet one common complaint is that today's players are lacking in the fundamentals.

I won't argue that today's players are better physical specimens. And that with the present knowledge of conditioning, nutrition, etc. are better athletes. But I would say as far as basic basketball skills there isn't this great difference. The game has evolved from what it was. But don't let evolution diminish what most of these guys could do.
Silent Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:27 PM   #27
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

saKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected poster

Hi, I'm Glove, and I'm pretty much smarter and more knowledgeable than all of you. Allow me to explain why.
saKf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:29 PM   #28
TheHonestTruth
Banned

TheHonestTruth has no real reputation yet.

Payton is overrated. Nash is better.
TheHonestTruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:40 PM   #29
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

dejordan has an OK reputation so far

glove most of the guys on your list are one number from where you'd like to see them. not sure that's such a big deal. i've been impressed by the fact that basically the correct names have been coming up in the discussion, though i believe pretty much any of them could go up or down 2 places without being totally inconceivable.
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:49 PM   #30
hateraid
Is it in you?

hateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by saKf
Hi, I'm Glove, and I'm pretty much smarter and more knowledgeable than all of you. Allow me to explain why.

He's just suffering from "All-Time" thread envy.
Kizzle came up with a cool concept in which we have a general consensus andhe's obviously envious. Hence him not postin in any of the daily updates, exept to criticize.
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: