Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-06-2007, 01:12 AM   #1
DTD
Good High School Starter

DTD has decent reputationDTD has decent reputation
Default Kobe Apologizes

Quote:
Bryant says he apologized to Kupchak
Posted: Thursday Jul 5, 2007 11:26 PM

LOS ANGELES (AP) -Although he didn't rescind his trade request, Kobe Bryant softened his stance somewhat Thursday night, saying he had apologized to Los Angeles Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak in person for the way he handled his upset feelings five weeks ago.

"I just felt like as a man, it was important for me to tell him, `I'm sorry it came out that way,''' Bryant said at a lightly attended news conference at Loyola Marymount, where he spoke mainly about his camp for youngsters at the school this week.

Bryant said that while he could have called Kupchak, it was important he speak with him face-to-face.

"I was frustrated, I was venting,'' Bryant said.

When asked whether he still wanted out, Bryant replied: "I haven't thought about that in a long, long time. I've kind of stepped away from that. I've concentrated on Team USA. What I say is what I say. We'll just have to see where it goes.''

The U.S. national team begins practice July 20 in Las Vegas.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...s.bryant.0451/
DTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:15 AM   #2
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Kobe Apologizes

Quote:
What I say is what I say.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:17 AM   #3
ExpatSunsFan
Local High School Star

ExpatSunsFan has an OK reputation so far

This is the part that got cut out of the article:

Quote:
On Thursday afternoon, sources claim, Kupchak showed off a brand-new $4 million diamond solitaire ring to friends and co-workers.
ExpatSunsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:19 AM   #4
DTD
Good High School Starter

DTD has decent reputationDTD has decent reputation

Kobe eases back on throttle
Lakers star doesn’t push his trade demands, but he says he apologized to Kupchak for criticizing Bynum on amateur video.

By Mike Bresnahan, Times Staff Writer
8:39 PM PDT, July 5, 2007

Happier times
Kobe Bryant appears to be turning back ever so slightly toward the Lakers.

It might be tantamount to the smallest sign of thawing in a glacier, but Bryant revealed a partly conciliatory side while talking to reporters toward the end of his week-long youth basketball camp at Loyola Marymount.

When given the chance, the nine-time All-Star did not reiterate his demand to be traded by the Lakers.

"Nah, you know what?" Bryant said Thursday. "What I said is what I said. Everybody knows that we need to make some adjustments and need to get better. That's not a shock, that's not a secret. We just have to see where that goes."

That he chose to use the word "we" instead of "they," or something worse, would indicate some sort of change-over in his opinion of the Lakers. In an entirely upbeat mood that differed from his ire in the weeks after the Lakers were eliminated in the playoffs by the Phoenix Suns, Bryant did not choose a small side room at Gersten Pavilion as a forum to further pressure the Lakers into meeting his trade wishes.

It's possible that will come later this month at the Team USA training camp in Las Vegas -- when Bryant is expected to speak publicly again -- but he said he hadn't contemplated his future with the Lakers, or perhaps his future without them, in a while.

"Honestly, you all might be disappointed about it or whatever, but I haven't even thought about it in a long, long time," Bryant said. "I kind of stepped away from all of that and just focused on Team USA and just getting better. I get up early in the morning, I train hard, three to five hours, and just get ready."

Bryant has made headlines consistently since publicly demanding a trade on May 30. The Lakers have no intention of trading Bryant, who has four years and $88.6 million remaining on his contract. He can void the contract in two years.

Bryant did reveal further details of his meeting two weeks ago with Lakers General Manager Mitch Kupchak at the team's practice facility in El Segundo. Bryant and Kupchak discussed the amateur video in which Bryant said the Lakers should trade 19-year-old center Andrew Bynum.

"That's a shame," Bryant said. "I went in just to tell [Kupchak], 'You know what, man? I'm sorry that thing came out like that. You never want that to happen.' I just felt like as a man, that was important to say that to him. I could have easily picked up the phone and called him, but that's not something that I wanted to do. I wanted to go down and see him face-to-face and tell him that face-to-face."

As designed by his publicists, Bryant answered very few questions about his situation with the Lakers -- only three, to be exact -- in a media briefing that was planned to be entirely about his camp, the Kobe Basketball Academy.

On that subject, Bryant spoke exuberantly about the 450 campers ages eight to 18. Some groups at the camp have learned facets of both the Princeton offense and the triangle offense in the span of a few days.

"I think kids can be pushed beyond what camps kind of have been demanding from them," Bryant said. "There's always been real serious basketball camps for players or kids that have the aspiration of playing in the NBA…but with these type of camps, it's normally not like that. They normally just throw the ball up and just let the kids go out there and play. You don't really learn much. That's why I wanted to do it. I believe kids can learn a great deal, even at seven, eight years old."
DTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:19 AM   #5
KareemsGoggles
Banned

KareemsGoggles has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatSunsFan

That's pretty funny.
KareemsGoggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:43 AM   #6
Who'sKobe
Decent playground baller

Who'sKobe has an OK reputation so far

All is well again.
But still the same crappy team
Hurray
Who'sKobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:58 AM   #7
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

On Thursday afternoon, sources claim, Kupchak showed off a brand-new $4 million diamond solitaire ring to friends and co-workers.
haha very good...
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 02:13 AM   #8
FashionIssues
Smooth Operator

FashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

these articles are somewhat encouraging
FashionIssues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:03 AM   #9
td21spurs
I brick open layups

td21spurs has an OK reputation so far

Kobe is a d1ckhead. even when he apologizes he has to add a little compliment to himself.

Quote:
"I just felt like as a man, it was important for me to tell him,

What a d1ck. not to mention that his apology is pathetic. he ***** slapped the guy in the face, and this is all he can say to show he's sorry?

I hope Kupchak ignores this loser and says nothing back.
td21spurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:14 AM   #10
SJellen
I hit open 5-footers

SJellen has an OK reputation so far

kobe and kg every summer
SJellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:20 AM   #11
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

dejordan has an OK reputation so far

kobe's camp sounds pretty cool. that's the kind of thing kids in our country needs to develop better fundamentals and a better understanding of the team game instead of these shoe company camps and streetball diversions (i do like streetball, just think it needs to be in addition to rather than instead of classic bball summer training) so that our stars don't look lost in scoring against zones and defending p / r in the next fiba competition.
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:24 AM   #12
John Starks
National High School Star

John Starks has an OK reputation so far

Again with the declaration of manhood. Same thing I posted in the Z.Randolph trade thread. Its ALWAYS a bad sign when NBA players declare their manhood.

Has Duncan ever said "I just feel, y'know, that I'm a man, so I really will go out and play defense and move the ball and hit my shots"

Being a man does not equal good NBA play. I guess you have to be a man to be an NBA player, but being a man does not get you any more wins.

Kobe doesn't even really owe an apology to Kupchak - he owes one tp his teammates. How bad do you feel as Farmar right now? You're a rookie, you went out, you played hard, occassionally well, you tried, the team was "ok"...and now your teammate says you aren't good enough? Bynum is supposed to feel good about playing with Kobe right now? He'll protect him from other bigs?

I rememebr one summer, Latrell was lobbying for a signing of Webber as a FA. It wasn't anything as hard-core as Kobe's press junket, but he basically said that he shouldn't be the best rebounder on the team.

Suffice to say, that did not sit well with Kurt Thomas, and Latrell was beaten on pretty badly by opposing bigs in the early parts of the season. Wonder why there was no retribution? Hmmmm....
John Starks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 12:09 PM   #13
qwerty
(o_0)

qwerty has decent reputationqwerty has decent reputation

Vid:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2927333
Quote:
LOS ANGELES -- Although he didn't rescind his trade request, Kobe Bryant softened his stance somewhat Thursday night, saying he had apologized to Los Angeles Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak in person for the way he handled his upset feelings five weeks ago.

"I just felt like as a man, it was important for me to tell him, 'I'm sorry it came out that way,' " Bryant said at a lightly attended news conference at Loyola Marymount, where he spoke mainly about his camp for youngsters at the school this week.

Bryant said that while he could have called Kupchak, it was important he speak with him face-to-face.

"I was frustrated, I was venting," Bryant said.

When asked whether he still wanted out, Bryant replied: "I haven't thought about that in a long, long time. I've kind of stepped away from that. I've concentrated on Team USA. What I say is what I say. We'll just have to see where it goes."

The U.S. national team begins practice July 20 in Las Vegas.

Bryant, the NBA's leading scorer the past two seasons, complained about a lack of talent around him at season's end, and said May 30 he wanted to be traded, adding nothing could change his mind.

Despite that request, the Lakers have made clear that trading Bryant isn't in their plans. Bryant is owed $88.6 million over the next four seasons, but could terminate his contract in two years.

The Lakers haven't won a playoff series since reaching the NBA Finals in 2004 for the fourth time in five years. With Bryant and Shaquille O'Neal leading the way, they won three straight championships from 2000-02.

O'Neal was traded to Miami in July 2004, a day before Bryant signed a seven-year, $136.4 million contract to remain with the Lakers, who haven't won a playoff series since O'Neal left.

Bryant said he hasn't spoken with Derek Fisher since Monday, when Fisher was released by the Utah Jazz so he can concentrate on finding the best care for his 11-month-old daughter, who has cancer in her left eye.

Fisher said he wants to live in one of the six or seven cities being considered for Tatum's care. Bryant and Fisher were teammates and, from all indications, good friends while playing with the Lakers from 1996-2004 -- the first eight seasons of their NBA careers.

Kupchak didn't rule out the possibility of a return to the Lakers for Fisher, who signed with Golden State as a free agent after the 2003-04 season and was later traded to Utah.

Bryant said 450 kids aged 8-to-18 attended his camp.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 02:27 PM   #14
Vragrant
National High School Star

Vragrant is considered somewhat coolVragrant is considered somewhat cool

Bryants a funny guy. Since he realizes now that the Lakers have no intention of trading him and he's going nowhere its time for him to "apologize". He's so fake its comical.
Vragrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 02:32 PM   #15
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Can't he just apologize privately? Why make this public decleration of your sorrow? If he was really sorry, he would apologize to him face-to-face instead through the media.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: