Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-11-2006, 12:21 PM   #1
SaveThePigs
I airball my layups

Default Rumor: Raptors sign Anthony Parker

Summary:

-3 years 12M
-Contribute $500,000 towards Parker's 1.5M buyout
-Plan to start him at small forward
-31 year old

Last edited by insidehoops : 01-09-2007 at 06:22 AM.
SaveThePigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 12:37 PM   #2
NBAfan32
High school junior varsity star

Wow. 4million per year for a 31 year old that hasnt proved that he can do at the NBA level? Maybe Colangelo knows and saw something we didnt.
NBAfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 12:37 PM   #3
bonez26
Local High School Star

Another good signing for Colangelo. He fills the hole we have at 2-3...our lineup is pretty much finished off..with Garbajosa and House(possibly).

If you haven't seen him [play check this video:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search=anthony+parker&search_type=search_v ideos

Last edited by bonez26 : 07-11-2006 at 12:46 PM.
bonez26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 12:40 PM   #4
DoubleTech
NBA lottery pick

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBAfan32
Wow. 4million per year for a 31 year old that hasnt proved that he can do at the NBA level? Maybe Colangelo knows and saw something we didnt.

wouldn't be the first time this offseason.
DoubleTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 12:51 PM   #5
Bourne
Valancais for RoY

Certainly an intriguing acquisition. He is considered the best player outside of North America so it will be quite interesting to see how he fairs here.

Pros:
- scores efficiently
- for some reason I perceive him as having a good head on his shoulders, the type to accept his role and follow the coach's orders (i.e. Brent Barry?)

Cons:
- needs his old contract to be bought out
- is 31

Sidenote: Toronto is truly the most European team in the league. Are they the most Euro of all time? Jose Calderon, Andrea Bargnani, Jorge Garbajosa, Anthony Parker, Rasho (did he ever play in europe like the other 4?).
Bourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 12:55 PM   #6
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

I love how this is a GREAT move when this is a player the Sixers trade for that couldnt STICK in the NBA. His sister is better then him. Colangelo could break wind and you would eat it & enjoy.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 01:00 PM   #7
JtotheIzzo
Admlnlstrator

time overseas helps players, for example Bruce Bowen, Mario Elie, Brian Shaw come to mind. parker got a chance to mature and he was leauge MVP a few times. He wont be an all star, but he will contribute, and his team beat the Raps in ACC last fall so he has to be somewhat of a help.
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 01:01 PM   #8
xHardcourtx
I airball my layups

personally i like this signing. so yeah maybe he didnt make much of an impact first time around the nba, but obviously his game has matured while in europe. players need it sometime. take, in football, kurt warner. people probably were less than impressed by his signing, but i think he turned out ok for a few years lol. also, 4 mil a year isnt really that much. i mean, if denver is going to pay nene 10 mil a year... i'm pretty sure he'll fit in well with the raps.
xHardcourtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 01:03 PM   #9
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
time overseas helps players, for example Bruce Bowen, Mario Elie, Brian Shaw come to mind. parker got a chance to mature and he was leauge MVP a few times. He wont be an all star, but he will contribute, and his team beat the Raps in ACC last fall so he has to be somewhat of a help.

Not denying he could help but just wondering why the GM gets gold stars for every move? Dont want my post to come across as he wont be or amount to crap...but where is the basis for praising he GM for giving him a try? Come on.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 01:05 PM   #10
Joey Zaza
Local High School Star

Don't this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xHardcourtx
personally i like this signing. so yeah maybe he didnt make much of an impact first time around the nba, but obviously his game has matured while in europe. players need it sometime. take, in football, kurt warner. people probably were less than impressed by his signing, but i think he turned out ok for a few years lol. also, 4 mil a year isnt really that much. i mean, if denver is going to pay nene 10 mil a year... i'm pretty sure he'll fit in well with the raps.

this:

Quote:
Another good signing for Colangelo. He fills the hole we have at 2-3...our lineup is pretty much finished off..with Garbajosa and House(possibly).

and this:

Quote:

really belong here: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...?t=4162&page=2
Joey Zaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 01:07 PM   #11
JtotheIzzo
Admlnlstrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Zaza
Don't this:

this:

and this:

really belong here: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...?t=4162&page=2

C'mon ZaZa mine wasn't that off base, it wasn't even that optimistic
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 01:08 PM   #12
xHardcourtx
I airball my layups

naw, insane optimism would be to say that he'd make us a playoff team. i think we can leave justification of his signing here.
xHardcourtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 01:35 PM   #13
kwajo
Missing Since 2009

personally I think it's not a good signing. It's expensive, the guy is old, unproven in the NBA and I haven't heard a single thing about his defense. He may have been MVP, but I looked at some of the boxscores and in many games Maceo Baston scored almost as much and we al remember how that went.... (yes I know Parker's game is more likely to transfer over, since he is a swingman, not an undersized forntcourt player)

Now maybe I'm wrong and will eat my words, but I'd rather have gone for someting safer

for the person that asked, yes Rasho played in Europe, he was with a team in Bologna, the same one Manu came from (and Canadian Carl English currently plays for). Also, the same person listed Parker as a European, but he isn't , he's american
kwajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 01:48 PM   #14
Bourne
Valancais for RoY

Kwajo, I debated with myself whether to explain that part.

The Raptors have the most European influence. Parker played predominantly in Europe, so even though he is American he plays like a Euro. Adding Rasho to my list was an afterthought because I know he has played predominantly in the NBA.
Bourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 01:55 PM   #15
kwajo
Missing Since 2009

yeah I figured that's what was meant, but when you're bored at work, you'll feign ignorance in order to pass the time
kwajo is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: