Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 06-20-2007, 11:37 PM   #1
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

IGOTGAME has a near all-star reputation hereIGOTGAME has a near all-star reputation hereIGOTGAME has a near all-star reputation hereIGOTGAME has a near all-star reputation hereIGOTGAME has a near all-star reputation hereIGOTGAME has a near all-star reputation here
Default OT: MMA vs. Boxing

Saw this on ESPN and found it interesting
"Which is better: Mixed martial arts or boxing? The young upstart, or the grizzled veteran who has been around the block a couple of times? "

I can watch boxing because to me it seems like it is still a sport...Now MMA from what I see is over the top. Not something that appeals to me personally, I also dont think they are as skilled as boxers.

I always felt if a boxer learned just basic defenses to gettin taken down they would be able to drop many MMA's with just one punch especially without gloves.... Imagine how many people Tyson would have killed if he was in there with a little knowledge about defense..
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 11:44 PM   #2
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star

TMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this board
Default Re: OT: MMA vs. Boxing

Boxing is dead. The promoters ruined it and took all the heart out. We never get to see the boxing matches we want.

Quote:
When we had Tim write something a few issues ago for The Magazine about the dream boxing matchups for the upcoming year, we came up with a list of fantastic fights that would draw major PPV buys. Except most of them will never happen because the WBC won't let the WBO champ step in the ring because the WBA commissioner's wife doesn't like the W-whatever's commissioner's wife, blah blah blah. On the other hand, ask an MMA fan to come up with a list of dream fights, and I'll send you the Web link with the date it'll happen.

MMA >>>>> Boxing.
TMacsOneGoodEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 11:52 PM   #3
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

IGOTGAME has a near all-star reputation hereIGOTGAME has a near all-star reputation hereIGOTGAME has a near all-star reputation hereIGOTGAME has a near all-star reputation hereIGOTGAME has a near all-star reputation hereIGOTGAME has a near all-star reputation here

Maybe but I just dont consider MMA a sport...But thats just my personal preference.... Just not my thing...
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 12:11 AM   #4
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

fatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
Maybe but I just dont consider MMA a sport...But thats just my personal preference.... Just not my thing...
Not going to get into this...again.

But what makes boxing a sport and MMA not a sport? There is no justification for that claim.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 12:19 AM   #5
Force
National High School Star

Force has decent reputationForce has decent reputation

MMA...and it's still going to get much better with more depth of talent.
Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 12:23 AM   #6
OneWay
GREATEST OF ALL TIME!!

OneWay has an OK reputation so far

We're well represented in both

And blast from the past

OneWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 12:41 AM   #7
fatboy11

fatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Saw this on ESPN and found it interesting
"Which is better: Mixed martial arts or boxing? The young upstart, or the grizzled veteran who has been around the block a couple of times? "

I can watch boxing because to me it seems like it is still a sport...Now MMA from what I see is over the top. Not something that appeals to me personally, I also dont think they are as skilled as boxers.

I always felt if a boxer learned just basic defenses to gettin taken down they would be able to drop many MMA's with just one punch especially without gloves.... Imagine how many people Tyson would have killed if he was in there with a little knowledge about defense..
I'm sorry. I know I said I wouldn't get into this again, but this is an incredibly ignorant statement.

In fact, most arguments from the pro-boxing side are. You really think someone can just learn "basic defenses to getting taken down"? Are you really that fu*king stupid? Please.........tell me. Are you?

Also, how are boxers "more skilled" than MMA practitioners (that means individuals who practice MMA)?
Old 06-21-2007, 12:56 AM   #8
krazy19
Serious playground baller

krazy19 has an OK reputation so far

Boxing can be way more entertaining. In MMA, most of the time its just two guys walking around and throwing a couple of flurries and then its just like two men rubbing against each other on the floor. Boxing can be boring as well (ODH vs. PBF) but the good matches are better than the best MMA fights has to offer. I'm looking more forward to this Saturday's fight between Hatton and Castillo then any of the planned MMA matches.

Last edited by krazy19 : 06-21-2007 at 01:15 AM.
krazy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 12:58 AM   #9
fatboy11

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy19
Boxing can be way more entertaining. Most of the time its just two guys walking around and throwing a couple of flurries and then its just like two men rubbing against each other on the floor. Boxing can be boring as well (ODH vs. PBF) but the good matches are better than the best MMA fights has to offer. I'm looking more forward to this Saturday's fight between Hatton and Castillo then any of the planned MMA matches.
I disagree. Strongly.

Boxing can be exciting. MMA can be boring. Vice versa. I just find what MMA has to offer waaaay more appealing than what boxing has to offer.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:59 AM   #10
Zombles
Local High School Star

Zombles has decent reputation

Quote:

First off, there's nothing simple about the take down game. Sprawling's simple, but the best TD guys like Fedor, Henderson, Randy, Hughes get them from the clinch.

Second, Tyson was offered to fight in K-1(elite kickboxing org). He declined because he said he couldn't handle leg kicks.
I doubt the guy could handle the intricacies of MMA.

Thirdly, MMA is more exciting because it has better fighters, better management (when you get outmanaged by the Yakuza and Zuffa you know you're ****in up), and the skill-set is more varied.

Lastly, great boxing matches are still entertaining. Problem is there hasn't been one for a while and all the great boxers are retired or entering their twilight.

Last edited by Zombles : 06-21-2007 at 01:01 AM.
Zombles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 01:19 AM   #11
Mayweather
I brick open layups

Mayweather has an OK reputation so far

They are two different sports. I prefer boxing over MMA. I enjoy watching someone hit and not get hit while standing toe to toe.
Mayweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 01:26 AM   #12
BlackMoses
High school junior varsity star

BlackMoses has an OK reputation so far

MMA is hot right now. Their promoting and media buildup is genius. However, looking beneath the flash and advertising, boxing is still more enticing because it requires more skill and can be much more graceful and free flowing than the slow , plodding MMA.
BlackMoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 01:37 AM   #13
Howard5Dirk41
Banned

Howard5Dirk41 has an OK reputation so far

Boxing is the better sport by far, may not be the most popular right now but it is the far better sport.
Howard5Dirk41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 01:40 AM   #14
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

bigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Boxing will be dead in 5 years.
bigkingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 01:41 AM   #15
Howard5Dirk41
Banned

Howard5Dirk41 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkingsfan
Boxing will be dead in 5 years.

no it wont