Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 06-20-2007, 10:25 AM   #1
SportsAnalyzer
Banned

SportsAnalyzer has no real reputation yet.
Default Something I don't understand about Kobe wanting to be traded

If the lakers do trade him wouldn't it be to a franchise that's not close to winning a title? I mean would the lakers really trade him to a winning team so they can help him win a title on another team? That's why I'm confused kobe wanting to leave because his new situation would not be that much better than his current. Am I wrong?
SportsAnalyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 10:26 AM   #2
Loki
Banned

Loki is considered somewhat coolLoki is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Something I don't understand about Kobe wanting to be traded

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsAnalyzer
If the lakers do trade him wouldn't it be to a franchise that's not close to winning a title? I mean would the lakers really trade him to a winning team so they can help him win a title on another team? That's why I'm confused kobe wanting to leave because his new situation would not be that much better than his current. Am I wrong?

You overlook Kobe's ridiculous "no trade clause."
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 10:26 AM   #3
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter

Richie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

They'd trade him to a team trying to win a championship. He'd be the final piece to the puzzle. At least he wants to go to a contender, or at least a team he can turn into one.
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 10:32 AM   #4
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here

Quote:

He has to approve the trade cause of his clause. So if they want to take the trade that ships him to the obscurity that is the Atlanta Hawks, he can veto.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 10:37 AM   #5
Chrono90
Local High School Star

Chrono90 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Kobe's nailing down to just two or three teams he'll play for, so i dont think it matters
Chrono90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 10:41 AM   #6
konex
3-time NBA All-Star

konex is considered somewhat coolkonex is considered somewhat coolkonex is considered somewhat cool

If he really wanted to be traded, he wouldn't be destroying the Lakers leverage like this. He's just throwing a tantrum so the team makes drastic moves to improve and if they don't, he's setting up his opt out...

I don't really like what he's doing but obviously working behind the scenes hasn't pressured management...
konex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 10:44 AM   #7
Loki
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by konex
If he really wanted to be traded, he wouldn't be destroying the Lakers leverage like this. He's just throwing a tantrum so the team makes drastic moves to improve and if they don't, he's setting up his opt out...

Not really. He's probably making a public spectacle so other suitors will realize that LA has no leverage and can therefore get away with not trading away anyone too good for him, since LA is in a bind. He likely does this to ensure that whatever team he goes to remains fairly stacked.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:46 AM   #8
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

IGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki
Not really. He's probably making a public spectacle so other suitors will realize that LA has no leverage and can therefore get away with not trading away anyone too good for him, since LA is in a bind. He likely does this to ensure that whatever team he goes to remains fairly stacked.

thats what I was thinking
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 10:48 AM   #9
nba_on_nbc
I brick open layups

nba_on_nbc has an OK reputation so far

That veto power of Kobe is really kind of ridicolous. It's not good to hold an entire organization hostage (not the Lakers, I'm talking in general) , but hey, Lakers are the ones that signed that contract so they have to deal with the consequences.

by the way, doesn't Kobe have an opt-out clause on his contract in 2009? So, what if Lakers keep him for 2 years and then he decides to go away with Lakers getting nothing in return? That seems very plausible unless I'm missing something.
nba_on_nbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 10:52 AM   #10
JalenRawley
Local High School Star

JalenRawley has an OK reputation so far

Quote:

No, you’re not wrong, but that’s not the reason why he wants to be traded. It's real simple:

1) Kobe was told that they were going to build around him and try to contend, not try and rebuild.

2) Phil Jackson was told that they had a rebuilding plan for the future.

When Kobe got all of the information, he realized that they lied to him to keep him in L.A. while they went on with plans for the future instead of plans for the present. It’s not about being traded to a contender, it’s about separating himself from an administration that he no longer trusts.

Kobe would have to be real insulated from reality to not see the obvious. The Lakers can’t make any moves that would put them over the top. There are very few teams that can make a reasonable offer for Kobe, and doing so would put them in worse shape than they currently are in, even though they’d have Kobe Bryant. The Lakers aren’t going to take a bad trade just to get rid of Kobe, and Kobe can veto a trade to any team that mortgages away too much of their future for him.

Personally, I see it as a lose/lose situation. I just don’t see how a trade is going to happen, unless a few people put their heads together and include enough teams so that enough people get shuffled around and everybody is happy with something new. And, Kobe really needs a little perspective here; administrations lie to -everyone-, even Kobe. Your administration is lying to you right now, and when they’re not lying they’re carefully selecting what truths they will and won’t tell you.
JalenRawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 11:01 AM   #11
Loki
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
thats what I was thinking

Which is why I'm hoping that LA management sticks to their guns and does what that article posted a few days ago said: require Kobe to waive his veto power if they are to trade him to a team of his choosing.

If he refuses, sit on him.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:03 AM   #12
Knoe Itawl
Bringer of Light

Knoe Itawl has not been impressing people

I hate all this "Poor Kobe he was lied too" stuff. As has already been pointed out, it's HARD to build a championship contender after a dynasty for several reasons. And to do so in THREE years? No one should expect that.

Also, he had to have known once they got rid of Shaq that the team would be taking a big blow. Why is he surprised that the team is where it is? What a whiner. It's hard to build a title contender anyway, and it's even harder to do so after a long run of dominance for a team.

But who cares, right? Poor widdle Kobe isn't on a contending team. That's all that matters.
Knoe Itawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 11:04 AM   #13
WoGiTaLiA1
Local High School Star

WoGiTaLiA1 has decent reputationWoGiTaLiA1 has decent reputation

Chicago should be offering Hinrich, Gordon and next years first. The Lakers should say yes deal done.

That should be it.

No other team can get Kobe and be a title contender, not reasonably and the Lakers are certainly losing any other trade. We aren't talking about Duncan or Shaq here. Kobe is like Tmac, Carter or Baron Davis. He improves your team, but he doesnt make you a contender unless you have the right pieces around him. He thusly has similar value to those 3 in a trade, ie. Not much.
WoGiTaLiA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 11:07 AM   #14
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

IGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoGiTaLiA1
Chicago should be offering Hinrich, Gordon and next years first. The Lakers should say yes deal done.

That should be it.

No other team can get Kobe and be a title contender, not reasonably and the Lakers are certainly losing any other trade. We aren't talking about Duncan or Shaq here. Kobe is like Tmac, Carter or Baron Davis. He improves your team, but he doesnt make you a contender unless you have the right pieces around him. He thusly has similar value to those 3 in a trade, ie. Not much.

Vince...BD....you have gone a little overboard..Comparing a sure HOFer and top 5 sg ever with Wince.... Thats just too much.. Even Loki wouldnt agree with that..

Also if you put Carter or BD or even T-Mac on the Bulls for that trade I dont see them as a team capable of getting to the finals...Kobe is a different story..
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 11:11 AM   #15
nba_on_nbc
I brick open layups

nba_on_nbc has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki
Which is why I'm hoping that LA management sticks to their guns and does what that article posted a few days ago said: require Kobe to waive his veto power if they are to trade him to a team of his choosing.

I don't seem to understand. What would Lakers gain from Kobe waiving the power if he still gets traded to the team he wants? Or are you saying, Lakers should agree to trade him only if they are the ones to choose the team to be traded?

Quote:
If he refuses, sit on him

Well, if they sit on him, kobe can cruise this season and next year they'll have much less leverage because he'd have only one year left before the opt-out. I think he put Lakers in a very difficult position right now.

Last edited by nba_on_nbc : 06-20-2007 at 11:13 AM.
nba_on_nbc is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: