Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 06-21-2007, 04:39 AM   #31
LakerWarrior12
Local High School Star

Default Re: Marbury is even a greater guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethetriangle
His post-katrina reaction was quite moving.

This is good too.

Much respect.

Gee I wonder why his reaction was quite moving.

Maybe its because New Orleans needed the money to rebuild the community instead of citzens stealing food and furniture.
LakerWarrior12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 04:57 AM   #32
WoGiTaLiA1
Local High School Star

Quote:
He has been receiving praise before the influx of public information (which seems to only have happened in the past year).

I dare say that is a combination of being in New York and the image thing. I agree, it wouldn't be him personally releasing it, but I imagine his camp does. He has hurt his image a bit with the basketball stuff over the last couple of years(Best PG, Brown feud and just the Knicks lack of success). I'm sure he has been charitable in the past, he doesnt seem like a bad guy, just a bit up him self so to speak. More arrogant than confident.

Quote:
I was just thrown off guard a bit because I've never seen anyone knock (too strong a word maybe) someone else for being such a big contributor.

Yeah thats pretty much it. I'm not knocking him. Good on him for giving something, was kind of just trying to be a balance in the thread that there are personal reasons for it also. Giving money is not a bad thing, promoting kids to read and write is even better. I actually quite like Marbury, its in that ugly stepchild sort of way, but I like him anyway. He has immense talent, he just doesnt utilize it fully. He just seems a step behind mentally to where his skills are.
WoGiTaLiA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 07:50 AM   #33
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

Wog, they're NBA players. Everything do is in the media. It's just what the media decides to highlight. If loot never brought this article out, none of us would know about it. It's not being emphasized in the media, it's one paragraph of an article out of a New York based newspaper (probably). So I don't get why you're making such a big deal about how he's trying to salvage his public image when there really isn't a fuss being made over it. In the local New Jersey papers they'll report about Vince Carter visiting a local elementary school, and they report it cause it's news, but not great news. It's nothing more than newspaper filler parts for slow sports days. I don't see Marbury out there hollering about being a savior for inner city kids. It seems to me he genuinely cares and things are being reported but not given great deal to.

As for knowing more about someone from what he does on the court rather than off it? I don't buy it. We don't know these people at all. Half of this board thought Derek Fisher was a ********* before the story about his daughter was reported. In fact, I was on this board when the "**** a Fisher" thread had over 100 replies. On the court they might seem all cocky and pretentious, but by no means does it dictate the rest of their lives. Kevin Garnett is on the court screaming 'mother****er this mother****er that,' but off the court he's donating computers to inner city schools and holding basketball camps. There is no way you can judge anyone entirely by their actions on the court.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:14 AM   #34
WoGiTaLiA1
Local High School Star

Quote:
evin Garnett is on the court screaming 'mother****er this mother****er that,' but off the court he's donating computers to inner city schools and holding basketball camps. There is no way you can judge anyone entirely by their actions on the court.

From all I've heard KG is an absolute ******* off the court. Fisher never gave me reason on the court to not like him or think he was a bad guy. Hustle player who hit some big shots, was happy with his role, played within himself. A lot like he has been off the court. On top of that, the situation with his daughter was the same sort of thing as basketball, pressure(so to speak). Thats when you see what someone is really made of.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:27 AM   #35
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoGiTaLiA1
From all I've heard KG is an absolute ******* off the court. Fisher never gave me reason on the court to not like him or think he was a bad guy. Hustle player who hit some big shots, was happy with his role, played within himself. A lot like he has been off the court. On top of that, the situation with his daughter was the same sort of thing as basketball, pressure(so to speak). Thats when you see what someone is really made of.

I think you're oversimplifying it by a great margin.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:35 AM   #36
WoGiTaLiA1
Local High School Star

Quote:
I think you're oversimplifying it by a great margin.

Of course I am, but I find judging someones character on the court is much more reliable than from listening to them speak off it. Other than a few guys like Iverson and Kobe who have the balls to act very similarly on and off the court. You cant read anything out of LeBron from his press conferences, if you were to try you'd come up with a guy who seems more like a hermit than an NBA star.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:26 PM   #37
kps
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoGiTaLiA1
Of course I am, but I find judging someones character on the court is much more reliable than from listening to them speak off it. Other than a few guys like Iverson and Kobe who have the balls to act very similarly on and off the court. You cant read anything out of LeBron from his press conferences, if you were to try you'd come up with a guy who seems more like a hermit than an NBA star.

well said!
kps is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: