Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 06-20-2007, 12:31 PM   #16
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

Default Re: Marbury is even a greater guy

Even if the intent is to save his public image, it's still a good act. They do more good than harm and at the very least, shows that he cares. He's a good guy. I have no reason to hold any malice towards him.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 02:48 PM   #17
Diesel J
NBA lottery pick

It's not an image fix..he's been doing stuff like this since he's been in the NBA.
Diesel J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 03:15 PM   #18
sunsfan1357
Word.

Certainly not an image fix. If it deals with someone as public as his basketball camps then people are bound to find out details like this anyway, it's not as if he runs to the NY Time staff room saying "Hey guys look what I can do!" He's been doing this since I can remember. Shame people still hate and take what he says (i.e. I'm the best PG) out of context.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:10 PM   #19
ballahalic
Kids at the park dunk on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by loot
You can't hate on this guy.
i liked him on suns and wolves but did he start on the suns team?
ballahalic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 05:50 PM   #20
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
Hate and dislike are two different things.

On top of that no one hated or disliked Marbury and his game until he became a Knick.

Which brings up something I find interesting to discuss. Do you think Isaiah Thomas has been a positive or negative influence?

Personally, I find it pretty coincidental that both Steve Francis and Stephon Marbury's stock have both dropped since joining the Knicks.

I'm starting to question if Thomas is as good a basketball teacher as he was a player.

Also, not to steal the thread from Marbury, but what's Thomas status? Beginning of last year, they were talking firing him.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 05:57 PM   #21
jaja
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoGiTaLiA1
If he had spent more time thinking about not saying the stupid stuff in the first place he could have saved a lot of time and money on the whole image fix he is attempting now.

If he spent as much time on his game as he does on the charity he would be a far greater player.

Should add that to me any player who is consistently leaking all the good work he is doing has an alternative motive for doing it. True heroes are the guys you dont hear about or if you do you dont hear until months after it happens.

Good on him though, at least he is giving something.

how do you know he leaks this to the media?
jaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:15 PM   #22
knicks15
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
Which brings up something I find interesting to discuss. Do you think Isaiah Thomas has been a positive or negative influence?

Personally, I find it pretty coincidental that both Steve Francis and Stephon Marbury's stock have both dropped since joining the Knicks.

I'm starting to question if Thomas is as good a basketball teacher as he was a player.

Also, not to steal the thread from Marbury, but what's Thomas status? Beginning of last year, they were talking firing him.

Mathius

he got an extension. pretty big news when it happened..
knicks15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 02:12 AM   #23
Prodigy
Diaw Fan

Quote:
Should add that to me any player who is consistently leaking all the good work he is doing has an alternative motive for doing it. True heroes are the guys you dont hear about or if you do you dont hear until months after it happens.

He could be giving out times more than what you hear of.
Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 03:40 AM   #24
WoGiTaLiA1
Local High School Star

Quote:
Hate and dislike are two different things.

On top of that no one hated or disliked Marbury and his game until he became a Knick.

I never liked his game before that. Marbury has always been a selfish player it has always been a knock on him. The difference in New York is that he isnt hiding in Minny, NJ or Phoenix anymore. Now he is on a team that is expected to be good and is awful and he is the face of the team.

Quote:
He could be giving out times more than what you hear of.

He may very well be but even if he is I hear about him being charitable more than any other player in the league and I know he isnt the most charitable guy in the league. Not a chance. He is just the guy you hear about every 2 weeks giving kids shoes, making donations to libraries and the like.

Quote:
how do you know he leaks this to the media?

Did you not just read it in the media? Thats how.

Quote:
It's not an image fix.....you mistake him for a KB8 or LeBron someone similiar.....He really does care that much about his wider image in the media...

You honestly believe that? This is the guy who will tell you he is the best player in the league, best PG, the saviour of the Knicks and many other pure egotism based comments if you give him the chance. You cant seriously think this isnt about him and his image. Charity is designed to make those who have it feel better about themselves. It is a thinly veiled service to the well off. Charity goes against human nature at it's very center it is against what humans are, it exists for political reasons.

This thread isnt about that though. Good on him for donating but I wont be fooled into thinking this changes who he is as a person. I find you can find out far more about a person by what they do on the court than off it.
WoGiTaLiA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 03:49 AM   #25
knicks15
Local High School Star

Quote:
I never liked his game before that. Marbury has always been a selfish player it has always been a knock on him. The difference in New York is that he isnt hiding in Minny, NJ or Phoenix anymore. Now he is on a team that is expected to be good and is awful and he is the face of the team.

He may very well be but even if he is I hear about him being charitable more than any other player in the league and I know he isnt the most charitable guy in the league. Not a chance. He is just the guy you hear about every 2 weeks giving kids shoes, making donations to libraries and the like.

You honestly believe that? This is the guy who will tell you he is the best player in the league, best PG, the saviour of the Knicks and many other pure egotism based comments if you give him the chance. You cant seriously think this isnt about him and his image. Charity is designed to make those who have it feel better about themselves. It is a thinly veiled service to the well off. Charity goes against human nature at it's very center it is against what humans are, it exists for political reasons.

This thread isnt about that though. Good on him for donating but I wont be fooled into thinking this changes who he is as a person. I find you can find out far more about a person by what they do on the court than off it.

lol, the guy is confident in himself and says hes the best Pg out there. when was that a crime? should he feel like he sucks? and from that statement u have his whole mentality and intentions figured out
knicks15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 04:14 AM   #26
LakerWarrior12
Local High School Star

His self off court image may be great, but his basketball image is the worst among the league. I don't hate his game, but he seriously needs to be moved to the SG spot.
LakerWarrior12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 04:27 AM   #27
sunsfan1357
Word.

Quote:
No one claimed he is the most charitable and you say that like making donations to libraries is a bad thing.

Quote:

So you know Marbury personally leaked this to the media? Like I said before, it's a summer camp. Something entirely public to the media word is bound to get out about its inner workings, doesn't to be some plot by Marbury to be looked as the best guy on the face of the earth.

Quote:

You ever personally READ the interview where Marbury said he's the best PG in the league? He also said it's a matter of perception, some people think Kidd is better some thinkg Marbury is better. Said him and Kidd are totally different, but it depends on how you see basketball. He admitted there were ways people can say Kidd is better. You're one of the people that was offended when AI said that he wasn't scared of Jordan and he can play anyone weren't you? Never saw him say he was the saviour of the Knicks, care to share where you saw that? Marbury also said he hasn't accomplished anything in the league because he hasn't won anything, but that just shows his selfish behaviour too, right? It's great to know that you know Marbury personally to say that he isn't doing this for the inner city kids, giving them the opportunities he wish he had growing up.

Quote:

Yes you can judge a person by shooting hoops into a basket moreso than him encouraging kids to read and write. Gotcha.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:59 AM   #28
WoGiTaLiA1
Local High School Star

Quote:
So you know Marbury personally leaked this to the media? Like I said before, it's a summer camp. Something entirely public to the media word is bound to get out about its inner workings, doesn't to be some plot by Marbury to be looked as the best guy on the face of the earth.

Sure the requirements of reading and writing would be leaked, tacking the donation on at the end though? Why does anyone know about that? He couldn't keep it to himself? It's not like 10k is the kind of donation that a press conference is called for, thats what a businessman donates to his alma mater, not what you call a press conference for.

Quote:
No one claimed he is the most charitable and you say that like making donations to libraries is a bad thing.

No one claimed it, you get my point. But if you were to base who is the most charitable by the amount you hear about them making donations, Marbury is easily the most charitable. You never heard of Mutombo and his hospital until the NBA found out about it and dragged it right into the middle of the media a good year after it all started.

Quote:
You ever personally READ the interview where Marbury said he's the best PG in the league? He also said it's a matter of perception, some people think Kidd is better some thinkg Marbury is better. Said him and Kidd are totally different, but it depends on how you see basketball. He admitted there were ways people can say Kidd is better. You're one of the people that was offended when AI said that he wasn't scared of Jordan and he can play anyone weren't you?

Why would I have a problem with AI being confident? There is confidence, as in I'm not scared of someone" and there is arrogance and egotism, as in "I think I am better than someone that know one else thinks I am better than." If Duncan said "I am the best PF in the league" it is very different to say Elton Brand saying it. One guy is a good PF but clearly not the best, one is the best.

Quote:
Never saw him say he was the saviour of the Knicks, care to share where you saw that? Marbury also said he hasn't accomplished anything in the league because he hasn't won anything, but that just shows his selfish behaviour too, right? It's great to know that you know Marbury personally to say that he isn't doing this for the inner city kids, giving them the opportunities he wish he had growing up.

He basically said it when he was traded to New York. That he was going to take them to the title and put Knicks basketball back on the map. I dont care to look it up but I'm certain he said something along those lines. Not in a confident way either, it was the way he said it that makes me remember. Everyone says they will turn around the team they go to, he made it sound like he was saving them. I have no problem with donations, but anyone who thinks they are selfless acts is just wrong, good on him for giving the kids an opportunity, but dont act like he hasnt got his own reasons for doing it. Whether it be tax reasons, feeling good about himself or improving his image(or all of the above).

Quote:
Yes you can judge a person by shooting hoops into a basket moreso than him encouraging kids to read and write. Gotcha.

By character you can. You dont think that you can see a true character when someone is competing and under pressure? Thats what I'm saying. You cant judge athletes by their off field actions because it is all controlled, I mean do you really think that LeBron is as boring as he comes across off court or do you think he is more like the guy on the court? The one who enjoys himself and smiles? You dont think that Kobe's style on court is very similar to how he is off court(he is one of the few who actually is "real" he is an arrogant son of a ***** in both circumstances).

Dont get me wrong, I'd make donations of 10k also if I was earning what he is. I give now and then, but Marbury isn't a saint because he donates to charity. He isnt a bad person because of how he plays basketball either. He probably lies somewhere in the middle between the selfish basketball player and the giving person. He is probably a very decent guy.
WoGiTaLiA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 05:16 AM   #29
sunsfan1357
Word.

I still find it out to believe that Marbury would personally leak that info the press himself. I can see someone from his "camp" or "inner circle" leaking it, but when it comes to these things Marbury usually likes to go about his business and answer questions if asked.

His quote about being the best is still up for interpretation. You can look at the part where he explicitly said why would be say Kidd is the best point guard when he knows he's better, or you can look at it as a whole when he says that it is basically up for individiual interpretation and who one person says is the best somone else will say differently. For every quote where he says he is the best I can show you two others where he praises his teammates and displays his desire to win which says a lot more to me.

I think in a lot of cases people can point out athletes and celebs making donations just to feel good about themselves or for public relations but from the years I've followed Marbury I just really don't see it. He is part of New York culture. It's where he grew up and it is where he has seen kids get no opportunity to accomplish anything. Since he's been in the league and even before then it's been his goal to accomodate for his family and to try and support the children in the hood growing up like he did. He isn't the biggest charitble guy, but he's been on the Sporting News list of the good guys in sports (or something like that) a few times already as well. He has been receiving praise before the influx of public information (which seems to only have happened in the past year).

I now do agree that you can see a lot about people on the court, especially NBA players because that is where they are most free. I think Marbury comes off on the court as a brash up-front kind of guy and really that is how he is displayed himself off of the court too. In interviews he always speaks with this kind of tone that comes off that way but that doesn't take away from the fact that he is and has been doing these things for years.

At first I thought you were knocking him or whatever but I see you're not and I can settle for your view of him. I was just thrown off guard a bit because I've never seen anyone knock (too strong a word maybe) someone else for being such a big contributor.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:21 AM   #30
lovethetriangle
LAKER FAN FOR LIFE

His post-katrina reaction was quite moving.

This is good too.

Much respect.
lovethetriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: