Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 06-19-2007, 11:16 AM   #16
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

IGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Can Lebron be the Next MJ if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejordan
without the clear separation that mj had from the competition old timers won't be able to say lebron is on mj's level. part of the jordan mystique was his perceived dominance and the way he swatted down all challengers once he got to the top.

that said, bron has a definite shot. he's got the physical gifts to be the best ever imo. it's just a matter of desire, effort, and luck (health, good teammates, good coach, etc) from here on out.

could you ever see him swatting down the comp like Jordan...I dont see that same competiveness and fire...I dont really see Bron go at players the way MJ, Kobe, and Wade do...

Your right though he should try to be the first lebron...he isnt really at his best when scoring...so thats a good point

Just go check the intensity that Kobe and Wade display when playing against and guarding each other...I have never seen it from Bron against a star consistently....I dont know if you can learn to be a better competitor and thats the only thing that scare me with Bron...
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 11:17 AM   #17
chains5000
From Out Of Nowhere

chains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon
I've said this in the past and I'll say it again.....

Michael Jordan is the beneficiary of playing in an era with limited competition in his position.

The only real other marquee SG was Clyde Drexler, whom he only faced 2 times per season.

Michael Jordan would NOT have reached "God-like" status playing in today's NBA mainly because of better competition at his position.....not to mention that he would win ZERO dunk contests with the athletes/dunkers today.

Kobe, TMac, Wade, LeBron, Vince, Melo......no way would Jordan SEPERATE himself from that pack.

Much easier to be the G.O.A.T. going up against Craig Ehlo, Dennis Johnson, Byron Scott, Jeff Malone, Gerald Wilkens, etc. than today's players.

The Jordan "Legacy" = RIGHT PLACE, RIGHT TIME
lol
chains5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 11:20 AM   #18
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Cannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
could you ever see him swatting down the comp like Jordan...I dont see that same competiveness and fire...I dont really see Bron go at players the way MJ, Kobe, and Wade do...

Your right though he should try to be the first lebron...he isnt really at his best when scoring...so thats a good point

Just go check the intensity that Kobe and Wade display when playing against and guarding each other...I have never seen it from Bron against a star consistently....I dont know if you can learn to be a better competitor and thats the only thing that scare me with Bron...

I've seen it playing wade this year, and last year... How soon you are to forget... Remember that game last year in April where dwade and LeBron each had 45+. With bron making the plays down the stretch... He had the "fire", now will he be better than mj? Prob. not.. Could he? yes.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 11:21 AM   #19
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter

Richie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

Michael Jordan is the beneficiary of playing in an era with limited competition in his position.

The only real other marquee SG was Clyde Drexler, whom he only faced 2 times per season.

Michael Jordan would NOT have reached "God-like" status playing in today's NBA mainly because of better competition at his position.....not to mention that he would win ZERO dunk contests with the athletes/dunkers today.

Kobe, TMac, Wade, LeBron, Vince, Melo......no way would Jordan SEPERATE himself from that pack.

Much easier to be the G.O.A.T. going up against Craig Ehlo, Dennis Johnson, Byron Scott, Jeff Malone, Gerald Wilkens, etc. than today's players.

I hope you're not trying to take away from his legendary status.
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 11:23 AM   #20
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Cannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie2k6
I hope you're not trying to take away from his legendary status.
How do you take away a guys legendary status with 6 finals mvps? lol impossible, he's just saying that MJ came at the right time. But the other team were still very tough. Falkin John and Karl...
Old 06-19-2007, 11:23 AM   #21
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter

Richie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball
I've seen it playing wade this year, and last year... How soon you are to forget... Remember that game last year in April where dwade and LeBron each had 45+. With bron making the plays down the stretch... He had the "fire", now will he be better than mj? Prob. not.. Could he? yes.
Yeah that game was the bomb.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:24 AM   #22
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball
How do you take away a guys legendary status with 6 finals mvps? lol impossible, he's just saying that MJ came at the right time. But the other team were still very tough. Falkin John and Karl...
He was kind of making it seem like Jordan's competition was easy.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:27 AM   #23
det2orl
Good High School Starter

det2orl has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
but he was never challenged by another swingmen...thats what I meant.

And even so, Jordan had his time without Bird and Magic...

Clyde Drexler was not too far behind MJ. Look at his #s. His teams obviously didnt have the success the Bulls. I think he is often overlooked some because of being in Portland. 28/6/6 pretty consistently in his prime.

Edit make that about 23/6/6

Last edited by det2orl : 06-19-2007 at 11:30 AM.
det2orl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 11:27 AM   #24
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Quote:
He was kind of making it seem like Jordan's competition was easy.
No the competition was as hard or prob. harder he is saying that no other perimeter players were as close to mj as wade kobe lebron melo ai are all grouped together, so it wasn't as tough to see who was the best.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:29 AM   #25
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Quote:
Yeah that game was the bomb.
Lol my dad and I watched it and then like two days later it was on espn classic.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:39 AM   #26
Knoe Itawl
Bringer of Light

Knoe Itawl has not been impressing people

Quote:

Congratulations. You have officially reached the current title of Most obnoxious and simple minded Kobe Fanatic on the board. It's not easy to do considering the competition so you should be proud of your blindly worshipping ways.
Knoe Itawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 11:52 AM   #27
OneWay
GREATEST OF ALL TIME!!

OneWay has an OK reputation so far

LeBron to me seems like he doesn't have that IT but that's just the feeling I get.
Anyway, with his court sense and athleticism he should become a true legend if things go right.
He needs to work on his shooting, post game and of course, he needs to have the circumstances going in his favor.
I mean, the guy is only 22. Imagine how good he"ll be by the time he's 28 because his game is far from polished and LeBron still doesn't use his intelligence that much and he has it.

One day when he becomes a polished player with a better shooting touch, better post game, more agressive and smarter...just dayum. He"ll be an absolute nightmare for any defense.

LeBron needs to polish his game and he"ll be able to toy with his defenders.
First thing he needs to start working on is correcting that shooting form and developing his post game.
When he improves those two areas he should have no problem to score at will.
His apg and rpg numbers will always be high.

We still haven't seen 60 % of what LeBron in his prime will be able to do.
OneWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 11:53 AM   #28
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoe Itawl
Congratulations. You have officially reached the current title of Most obnoxious and simple minded Kobe Fanatic on the board. It's not easy to do considering the competition so you should be proud of your blindly worshipping ways.
Whats up gobb?
Old 06-19-2007, 12:02 PM   #29
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

dejordan has an OK reputation so far

Quote:

first of all clyde, mitch, reggie, dumars, spree, penny, smith, rider, houston, and elliot would fit right in today, and michael didn't just compete them, he dominated them.

second kobe, wade, tmac, lebron, vince, and melo built their games on the shoulders of the game jordan developed. the reason the league is full of strong swingmen now is that they had jordan's game to model their own after. watch any game that kobe, wade, carter, or tmac have played and that should be pretty clear.

oh and that's not taking into consideration the no handcheck factor which basically makes jordan a suped up version of wade with superior skills in basically every category you can think of and better size. as wade is at least on par with basically all the rest, and it's very clear that jordan's more complete game and better size give him a considerable edge over dwhistle, i don't think it's too much to extrapolate that he'd be unguardable.

if that's too hard to follow, look at it this way: wade's major advantage is his quickness in a league where you're not allowed to touch on the perimeter. jordan was as quick as wade. but he was as big as kobe. and he got off the floor like bron. and he worked without the ball better than anyone on your list, split double teams with iverson-like effectiveness, and finished against vastly superior shotblockers (hakeem, drob, mutumbo, mourning, shaq, eaton, parish, bol) in a time when there was no defensive 3 second rule at a higher percentage than any of them.

and on top of all of that athleticism and one on one play is only one aspect of mj's greatness. his ability to inspire, mold, and motivate his teammates leaves all of them in the dust except maybe lebron. his ability to carry a team all game and then finish strong is unrivaled. his defensive prowess is so far above them all that it's ridiculous to even discuss it.

so i do get where you're coming from in that you have a lot more people playing like mj did today than you did when he was inventing a way for athletic guards to be successful star players - so the separation is harder to see now, but when you put it into context the separation seems almost bigger because the league was not set up for a two guard to succeed in the 80s / 90s. after mj the idea of a sg-centric team / league became an institution.
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 12:03 PM   #30
Knoe Itawl
Bringer of Light

Knoe Itawl has not been impressing people

Oops, free post.

Last edited by Knoe Itawl : 06-19-2007 at 04:00 PM.
Knoe Itawl is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: