Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 06-19-2007, 04:02 AM   #16
trig
Decent college freshman

trig has decent reputationtrig has decent reputation
Default Re: why there are no good big man now

dont you think they have to improve the HS system? maybe we need better competition. guys like howard, oden comes to the league w/ underdeveloped post moves w/c lessens there effectivity. Curry is the last HS player I remember that has really good post moves but has zero defense. if only you can combine curry's offense and howards defense.....
trig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 04:39 AM   #17
WoGiTaLiA1
Local High School Star

WoGiTaLiA1 has decent reputationWoGiTaLiA1 has decent reputation

Yao - Plays a lot smaller than his size. Really the only advantage his current playing style has because of his height is the fadeaway is a bit harder to block.

Duncan - The best at the moment easily. Only guy who really plays big on both ends.

Howard - Lacks a post game but at least he has a good mentality. Though I'm still scared by a lot of his comments in regards to the direction that he wants to go as a player.

KG - Probably plays bigger than you would think looking at him, but still doesnt get in the post enough on offense and is going in the wrong direction in regards to that matter.

Amare - Other than the lack of post moves and his complete and utter disregard for defense(which is what makes the great big man) he is a good post player.

Gasol - Should be better. Needs to commit to the post more and less to jumpers. Defense could do with work, mostly in regards to intensity.

Odem - I hope you mean Oden. He is extremely raw and from what I've seen his best case still isnt that good. I hope he turns out but I think the expectations on him are outrageous. He is a lot rawer than Bogut and Okafor coming out of college just for 2 examples.

Boozer - Garbage man who doesnt play defense. Still love how physical he gets.

Al Jefferson - Has the potential to be special but also has a lot of flaws.

Nene - Like Jefferson. Was good to see him finally string some games together this year. Still, is stuck on a team that has a lot of talent at his position and is still very raw offensively, as in he has next to no post game.

Curry - Offensively he probably has the 3rd best post game in the league. Defensively he is closer to being the 3rd worst and his disgusting rebounding effort is just inexcusable.

J. Oneal - Has morphed into a full time jumpshooter these days. His post moves must be rusted shut by now he hasnt used them in that long. A real shame.

Maybe Byum - Has shown some nice moves. Has also dissappeared for long periods of time. I like his potential. This offseason is pivotal to what he becomes.

Maybe Krstić - A jumpshooter. Not a bad player at all, but still a jumpshooter.

Big man play is at an all time low or at least since I've been watching. The big thing I notice though is not the centers or PFs. It's the guards. Guys like Nique, Jordan, Magic and Payton were all outstanding post players. As good as anyone but Duncan is right now. A couple of other guys can compete, but those guys had advantages that they used in the post. There is no reason that guys like Kobe, Pierce(not bad actually) and most notably LeBron shouldn't be able to post most players that guard them and force mismatches.

It is just another Jordan negative externality on the game. The lack of passing, off the ball movement and post play are all attributable to him, despite the fact he was outstanding at all 3. People saw the drives and dunks and imitated that instead of imitating the core of his game. It's a shame really. Kids these days dont want to learn post moves, they want to shoot 3s and throw around the back passes.
WoGiTaLiA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 04:47 AM   #18
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

bdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The reason is that the NBA has made so many anit-big man rules over the year.

Guys like Shaq, Wilt, and Kareem scare them. So they make ridiculous rules like no 5-second to the basket and zone defense to try and discourage big man dominance.

What's funny is that is still didn't work. You still need a 20/10 big man to win a title.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 05:21 AM   #19
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Kebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoGiTaLiA1
It is just another Jordan negative externality on the game. The lack of passing, off the ball movement and post play are all attributable to him, despite the fact he was outstanding at all 3. People saw the drives and dunks and imitated that instead of imitating the core of his game. It's a shame really. Kids these days dont want to learn post moves, they want to shoot 3s and throw around the back passes.
Not all kids are like that. I am an example. I hate guys who just chuck 3's and shoot fade aways. I have a guy on my team who is good at getting to the basket but he would rather shoot 3's all game, even if he's missing, he'll carry on jackin' them up. I, on the other hand, hate shooting further than 15 feet away. I want to get as close to the basket as possible and try and find a mismatch so I can get 2 easy points. I loved Hakeem's game and that's where I get some of my moves from, it's much better than shooting fade away 3's.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 06:03 AM   #20
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

Y2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected poster

R U serious?

Quote:
Nene - Like Jefferson. Was good to see him finally string some games together this year. Still, is stuck on a team that has a lot of talent at his position and is still very raw offensively, as in he has next to no post game.

Nene has a better post game than most on your list. Like seriously
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 06:10 AM   #21
chains5000
From Out Of Nowhere

chains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoGiTaLiA1
Howard - Lacks a post game but at least he has a good mentality. Though I'm still scared by a lot of his comments in regards to the direction that he wants to go as a player.
What comments?
chains5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 07:33 AM   #22
jerky10
Decent playground baller

jerky10 has not been impressing people

I think you mean why there are so many big man w/poor offensive skills.
jerky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 08:36 AM   #23
Fudge
NBA Legend

Fudge is a pretty well-respected posterFudge is a pretty well-respected posterFudge is a pretty well-respected posterFudge is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_locoteee
BIG MANS of the next 6 years. no order

Yao
Duncan
Howard
KG
Amare
Gasol
Odem
Boozer
Al Jefferson
Nene
Curry
J. Oneal
Maybe Byum
Maybe Krstić

Maybe Maybe Yi Jianlian
Thats a lot of Big Mans Not a lot of center but a lot of PF.
Next 6 years? You mean Duncan would actually still be around? And if you're constructing a list of bigs then shouldn't you include Garnett?
If age is preventing you, then why don't you gladly take Duncan off of there (they're about the same age).
Fudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 08:42 AM   #24
Rockets(T-mac)
NBA sixth man of the year

Rockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputation

There are good big men in the league right now. Big men coming from the drafts are a bit weak (excluding Oden). It seems that Big men development isn't as important as it use to be, even though big men win championships.
Rockets(T-mac) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 08:56 AM   #25
PacerRaptor
B-Rush for ROY

PacerRaptor has decent reputationPacerRaptor has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_locoteee
BIG MANS of the next 6 years. no order

Yao
Duncan
Howard
KG
Amare
Gasol
Odem
Boozer
Al Jefferson
Nene
Curry
J. Oneal
Maybe Byum
Maybe Krstić

Maybe Maybe Yi Jianlian
Thats a lot of Big Mans Not a lot of center but a lot of PF.
i dont know about Nene...what about Oakafor?
PacerRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 08:57 AM   #26
PacerRaptor
B-Rush for ROY

PacerRaptor has decent reputationPacerRaptor has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudge
Next 6 years? You mean Duncan would actually still be around? And if you're constructing a list of bigs then shouldn't you include Garnett?
If age is preventing you, then why don't you gladly take Duncan off of there (they're about the same age).
he did, 3rd one down is KG
PacerRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 09:00 AM   #27
Heretik32
Myrrh

Heretik32 is considered somewhat coolHeretik32 is considered somewhat coolHeretik32 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by chains5000
What comments?

Howard has repeatedly hinted at wanting to increase his range and move his game out of the zone in order to get more unpredictable and harder to guard. Most fans, me included, fear this'll water down his game.
Heretik32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 09:05 AM   #28
Fudge
NBA Legend

Fudge is a pretty well-respected posterFudge is a pretty well-respected posterFudge is a pretty well-respected posterFudge is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacerRaptor
he did, 3rd one down is KG

Oh wow. As if I didn't see that - Nonetheless, they shouldn't even be there. 6 years from now? Come on now.
Fudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 12:06 PM   #29
Mighty Mouse
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Mighty Mouse has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudge

Oh wow. As if I didn't see that - Nonetheless, they shouldn't even be there. 6 years from now? Come on now.

I'd say 6 years is about right on for KG and Timmy. In 6 years they'll both be at shaqs age now. Theres no reason with both of their conditioning being good to still be All-stars for the next 4-6 years.
Mighty Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 12:55 PM   #30
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter

Richie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Dirk, in my mind, is an overrated, non-stereotypcial big man. His game pisses me off.
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: