Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 05-16-2007, 11:32 PM   #31
The Answer
National High School Star

The Answer has decent reputationThe Answer has decent reputation
Default Re: The "I Dunked on Alonzo Mourning" Club Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickscity
No really, how many defensive bigs have impacted a championship series more than their teammate, which would be an explosive guard?

I will wait for the answer.

Did you intend on the answer pun? If so, that's pretty good. Quite a few. Typically, the closer one gets to the basket the more likely he is to score. Therefore a dominant center, who can guard the rim, forces teams to take more outside shots, which are less likely to go in. It's basketball 101.
The Answer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 11:32 PM   #32
mhg88
Local High School Star

mhg88 is considered somewhat coolmhg88 is considered somewhat coolmhg88 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
So who else has dunked on Alphonso Mourning

How many people has he rejected? Much bigger list.
mhg88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 11:34 PM   #33
G-train
3-time NBA All-Star

G-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation here

Mourning is/was an outstanding shot blocker/intimidator for his whole career.

He was a 'good' post defender, but his shotblocking skill is top 5 in the past 15 years

Many players simply dont attempt to score over him, because of his shotblocking.

He has blocked far more shots than he has been dunked on obviously, and he has blocked shots on all the players listed.

I dont recall Jordan dunking on him 3 times. I think you may be confused when Mourning blocked him 3 times in one game in his rookie season, but then Jordan performed a massive facial all over him in the third quarter, and screamed at him.
G-train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 11:36 PM   #34
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

knickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhg88
I'd take Mourning. He's a lot more intimidating, and just look at them today. Mourning is still good while Payton has been crap for a few years now.

Payton has been in the L 17 years!!! He should show a decline.

Mourning may be in better shape but now way could he have logged the career minutes that Payton did. Even with his kidney problem taking about two years from his career.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 11:38 PM   #35
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

knickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Answer
Did you intend on the answer pun? If so, that's pretty good. Quite a few. Typically, the closer one gets to the basket the more likely he is to score. Therefore a dominant center, who can guard the rim, forces teams to take more outside shots, which are less likely to go in. It's basketball 101.

Let me rephrase my question, name some championship teams who won primairly because of their defensive big????
Old 05-16-2007, 11:41 PM   #36
The Answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glove_20
Well thats why Payton has been All-Defensive 1st 9 times in a row, and Mourning hasn't even been on an All-Defensive Team for over 2 years. Totally takes out the competetion and 2 guards per team argument because the differences are too great.

Reguardless, Mourning was the better defender. I'm not bashing Payton. He is, in my opinion, the best defensive point guard to ever play in the league. However, a bigman, who plays dominant defense, can impact the game in ways a guard, who plays dominant defense, can't.

Last edited by The Answer : 05-17-2007 at 12:06 AM.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:46 PM   #37
The Answer

Quote:
Let me rephrase my question, name some championship teams who won primairly because of their defensive big????

Perhaps, you missunderstood what I meant. Because I don't see how anyone could disagree with my statement. Let me clarify it then. I believe I said something along the lines of "A defensive big impacts the game in which a guard can't." I meant specifically defensively. Which is why I said, "The closer one gets to the basket the more likely he is to score. Therefore a dominant center, who can guard the rim, forces teams to take more outside shots, which are less likely to go in. It's basketball 101." I wasn't saying that a one dimensional defensive big like Mutombo or Wallace was more important than an all around beastly guard like Jordan. Only that a truly dominant defensive big has more of an impact than a dominant perimeter defender.

Last edited by The Answer : 05-17-2007 at 12:10 AM.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:46 PM   #38
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-train
Mourning is/was an outstanding shot blocker/intimidator for his whole career.

He was a 'good' post defender, but his shotblocking skill is top 5 in the past 15 years

Many players simply dont attempt to score over him, because of his shotblocking.

i don't think so.

1)Mutumbo.
2)Dream
3)Camby
4) Shaq has blocked more shots career
5) Ewing is sixth all-time

Mourning is not top 5
4)D-rob
Old 05-16-2007, 11:55 PM   #39
Loki
Banned

Loki is considered somewhat coolLoki is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
I dont recall Jordan dunking on him 3 times. I think you may be confused when Mourning blocked him 3 times in one game in his rookie season, but then Jordan performed a massive facial all over him in the third quarter, and screamed at him.

Nope, Jordan dunked on him 3 times in one game at Chicago and twice in another game at Charlotte in the '93 season. Trust me. It was at the very least two and two, but I'm pretty sure in one of those games he got him 3 times because I remember laughing about it.

Last edited by Loki : 05-17-2007 at 12:03 AM.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 11:56 PM   #40
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

HaNdLe ThE RoCk has decent reputationHaNdLe ThE RoCk has decent reputation

You may think im joking or just playing around, but malik rose dunked on alonzo mourning last year towards the end of the year.

It was Nasty.
HaNdLe ThE RoCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 11:59 PM   #41
G-train
3-time NBA All-Star

G-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
i don't think so.

1)Mutumbo.
2)Dream
3)Camby
4) Shaq has blocked more shots career
5) Ewing is sixth all-time

Mourning is not top 5
4)D-rob

dream
mutombo
d rob
mourning
Ewing

IMO
G-train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 12:11 AM   #42
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Quote:
dream
mutombo
d rob
mourning
Ewing

IMO

Respected opinion, although Mourning never showed up against Ewing. Ewing is top 5 in all-time blocks. Mourning isn't. Moourning never dominated an opposing big-time center.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:13 AM   #43
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

HaNdLe ThE RoCk has decent reputationHaNdLe ThE RoCk has decent reputation

Mourning Can't See Ewing. Patrick owns Alonzo in every way of the game.
HaNdLe ThE RoCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 12:21 AM   #44
trig
Decent college freshman

trig has decent reputationtrig has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaNdLe ThE RoCk
Mourning Can't See Ewing. Patrick owns Alonzo in every way of the game.

And yet they are both owned by MJ hehe

Its really funny when young players such as Tyrus Thomas and Josh Smith tries to posterize Grandpa Zo only to find there faces on the floor seconds later

Even if Ewing has better stats, I see Zo as the better defender. Who among here agree w/ me?
trig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 12:23 AM   #45
The Answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Answer
Reguardless, Mourning was the better defender. I'm not bashing Payton. He is, in my opinion, the best defensive point guard to ever play in the league. However, a bigman, who plays dominant defense, can impact the game in ways a guard, who plays dominant defense, can't.

I can't believe Glove let me get away with saying that.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: