Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 05-15-2007, 09:58 PM   #16
chopchop20
National High School Star

chopchop20 has decent reputation
Default Re: Phoenix's Team Should Sit Out 2morrow (Protest)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Gezee
Yeah do it, lose the game. And get the Suns fined a **** LOAD OF MONEY. I could only imagine how much they'd get fined.

Hopefully they do it and show an old classic game from the 80s involving Bird and Magic or Jordan. That would make my night

It would be a ballsy thing to do, if only to show Stern that he's not the Last Emperor.
chopchop20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:14 PM   #17
vert48
Can You?

vert48 is considered somewhat coolvert48 is considered somewhat coolvert48 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop20
If Phoenix players refused to pplay tomorrow night, it would really phukk Stern up. Imagine all the heat that he would get from the networks and cable providers.
Yeah, that would be smart. Phoenix would lose the series and get a 7 figure fine on the same day. All to protest the something that everyone involved KNOWS is a zero tolerance policy. Great plan.

If they had spoken with every player and coach on both teams prior to last nights game, and detailed out the scenario that occurred, every single one of them would have said 'Yep, those two guys will get suspended. It sucks to be them'. That is why Phoenix brought up the idea of Amare checking into the game as well as the Duncan / Bowen thing, hoping that the league would find a way to back off the zero tolerance stance. It was a valiant effort, but they knew it was probably going to fail.

Last edited by vert48 : 05-15-2007 at 10:17 PM.
vert48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:20 PM   #18
vert48
Can You?

vert48 is considered somewhat coolvert48 is considered somewhat coolvert48 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
It would be a ballsy thing to do, if only to show Stern that he's not the Last Emperor.
Can you imagine the owner of the team going home and telling his wife that he has just been assessed a $20 million dollar fine, then calling the coach and GM to tell them that they just lost their first round picks for 4 years? Yikes.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:28 PM   #19
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
but he is the last emporor and all it would do is force him to make a HUGE example of the suns... it would prove nothing but
A. Stearn is in charge
and
B. the Suns are ballsy but not real bright
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:28 PM   #20
PejaNowitzki
#1 Manute Bol Fan

PejaNowitzki is considered somewhat coolPejaNowitzki is considered somewhat coolPejaNowitzki is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by vert48
Can you imagine the owner of the team going home and telling his wife that he has just been assessed a $20 million dollar fine, then calling the coach and GM to tell them that they just lost their first round picks for 4 years? Yikes.

Fine, so instead, say the Suns sent Piatkowski, Burke, Marks, Marcus Banks and Jumaine Jones out there, and played basically an ironman basketball game. Suns would lose by like 60, but the message would be clear, and the ratings would be absolutely brutal.

What could the league do then to punish them????
PejaNowitzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:33 PM   #21
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

dejordan has an OK reputation so far

i'm not a big suns or spurs fan, so i think i'm fairly impartial here, but i think that idea is unsportsmanlike. it's a terrible rule. i think it's totally unjust and needs to be changed. i think if you're going to suspend diaw and stat, you have to suspend duncan too, because you're so caught up in the letter of the law on one side but not the other.

and don't tell me it's not the same. stat and diaw did NOTHING. they didn't touch anyone. they didn't incite anyone. they jumped up, ran to help their 6' friend who just got clobbered by a 6' 10" jerk for no reason, and got dragged back to the bench. duncan jumped up, stepped further onto the court than either of them was (though didn't get nearly as close to the altercation) and was grabbed and cooled down by bowen. again, he didn't do anything wrong. but again the letter of this idiotic rule was broken.

so i think what happened to the suns, while fully correct by the rule itself, is totally unjust in the bigger picture, but to protest by not playing is to disrespect your fans and the game and basically to say you're not willing to compete when the odds are stacked against you.
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:35 PM   #22
icemanfan
Local High School Star

icemanfan is considered somewhat coolicemanfan is considered somewhat coolicemanfan is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Gezee

Hopefully they do it and show an old classic game from the 80s involving Bird and Magic or Jordan. That would make my night
how bout a Bird vs Magic playoff game. Freaking fantastic.
icemanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:51 PM   #23
vert48
Can You?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PejaNowitzki
Fine, so instead, say the Suns sent Piatkowski, Burke, Marks, Marcus Banks and Jumaine Jones out there, and played basically an ironman basketball game. Suns would lose by like 60, but the message would be clear, and the ratings would be absolutely brutal.

What could the league do then to punish them????
The league can do anything it deems necessary.

Everyone knew that they were going to get suspended. Everyone. If they had asked Amare prior to the game what would happen if Nash got leveled, and he then stepped on the court during the altercation, he would have said 'I would get suspended'. It is black letter law. They may hate the rule, but they certainly understand it.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:00 PM   #24
chopchop20

Quote:
Originally Posted by vert48
They may hate the rule, but they certainly understand it.

How can man submit to a "law" alien to the flesh? Oh wait, religion has been trying to answer that since FOREVER!
Old 05-15-2007, 11:03 PM   #25
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here

I would honestly refuse to play. I love that idea. sit it out. its an absolute disgrace, they are literally handing the series to San Antonio. new strategy: get some talentless goon to take out the other teams best player to bait the other team into standing up and walking three steps toward the scene so they get suspended. terrific.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 11:08 PM   #26
chopchop20

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
I would honestly refuse to play. I love that idea. sit it out. its an absolute disgrace, they are literally handing the series to San Antonio. new strategy: get some talentless goon to take out the other teams best player to bait the other team into standing up and walking three steps toward the scene so they get suspended. terrific.

Seriously, today's society is full of p-u-s-s-y-s.... where's Muhammad Ali when u need him?
Old 05-15-2007, 11:09 PM   #27
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

HaNdLe ThE RoCk has decent reputationHaNdLe ThE RoCk has decent reputation

Disagree, Play ball.
HaNdLe ThE RoCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 11:12 PM   #28
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Yeah that'd work, except the money for the network loss would be taken from Pheonix, and they'd lose the game, mabey be suspended for the series! That'd be unprecidented, but a team sit out because of a ruling on an important rule? That's a ridiculous ideea.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 11:16 PM   #29
chopchop20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaNdLe ThE RoCk
Disagree, Play ball.

That's your opinion and I'm not gonna argue about. However, people talk as if rules and and laws are self-sustaining entities. When in reality, they have no existence outside of the people who made them.

So, it really insults the intelligence of basketball fans like myself to hear Stu Jackson or David Stern to hide behind a so-called "rule" when they have the power to change them.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:17 PM   #30
chopchop20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
Yeah that'd work, except the money for the network loss would be taken from Pheonix, and they'd lose the game, mabey be suspended for the series! That'd be unprecidented, but a team sit out because of a ruling on an important rule? That's a ridiculous ideea.

It seems like most people's argument against the protest boils down to money. That's kinda sad but it is America.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: