Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 05-12-2007, 02:13 AM   #121
sammdogg
Local High School Star

sammdogg has decent reputation
Default Re: Jackson accuses Utah fans of racial slurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
Who's Gladis Knight?
Whos an *******??
sammdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 02:14 AM   #122
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle is popular on this boardL.Kizzle is popular on this boardL.Kizzle is popular on this boardL.Kizzle is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammdogg
Whos an *******??
Huh?
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 02:20 AM   #123
ExpatSunsFan
Local High School Star

ExpatSunsFan has an OK reputation so far

This is something that the Delta Center is rather infamous for IIRC. Ten or twenty years ago, players would periodically accuse a Jazz fan of using racial slurs, and accuse the management there of not doing anything about it. That was one of the reasons the Jazz had such a tough time recruiting black players back in the day.

Is SLC racist? I haven't been there, and I don't think this is necessarily evidence for it. But this is the culture that Larry Miller allowed to grow at his team's arena back in the day, so it wouldn't be much of a surprise to see it happen again now that the team is having some success.
ExpatSunsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 02:44 AM   #124
reppy
Apparently likes anime

reppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation here

I've heard some pretty nasty things about Boston. Didn't Byron Scott used to hate playing in Boston?
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 02:47 AM   #125
Chalkmaze
Good college starter

Chalkmaze has decent reputationChalkmaze has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatSunsFan
This is something that the Delta Center is rather infamous for IIRC. Ten or twenty years ago, players would periodically accuse a Jazz fan of using racial slurs, and accuse the management there of not doing anything about it. That was one of the reasons the Jazz had such a tough time recruiting black players back in the day.

Is SLC racist? I haven't been there, and I don't think this is necessarily evidence for it. But this is the culture that Larry Miller allowed to grow at his team's arena back in the day, so it wouldn't be much of a surprise to see it happen again now that the team is having some success.

Infamous for? I've been a fan since '82 and I don't remember hearing this stuff, where did you get this info.... gonna need some sort of verification. You definitely havn't been here, you are clueless to how it is here, as well as many others making claims about how it is here in Utah.

And how does it make sense for somebody to go to an NBA game and start calling people ******s, about the stupidest thing in the world to be doing, and why would they even be there in the first place? Why is it only two people hear it in the whole arena hear it, one of them being Stephen Jackson, who has very questionable character, and I'm sure was pretty pissed at the guy who held the sign saying the NBA could use another $50,000. I can see him having a motivation for getting back at the fans of Utah for that.

If someone said something like that, none of the fans are going to be cool with it, and Larry Miller certainly wouldn't put up with that for a second. If someone said that they are a complete idiot and definitely do not represent the majority, in fact they are probably from out of town. The Utah Jazz fans are not down with that kind of thing at all, if you think otherwise you are greatly misinformed.

Last edited by Chalkmaze : 05-12-2007 at 02:50 AM.
Chalkmaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 02:49 AM   #126
reppy
Apparently likes anime

reppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by final.wrath
small world.

was it difficult for you to leave the religion? did your family and friends treat you differently?

Oh. I just kind of.. stopped going. My mom doesn't goto church anymore, nor does my sister. But 2 of my brothers do. My brother's kids all go. He stopped going for a long time, did drugs, etc, but went back. My dad and his wife go.

I've gone and played ball with them since all the churches have indoor basketball courts. No one ever has had any problem with me. Plenty of non-Mormon people come along, too.

Even when I went through my stoner stage, I don't think I ever ran into any of my old Mormon friends that acted any differently towards me.

Granted, most of my friends were not Mormons. I had a few Mormon friends, but we didn't hang out as much as my non-Mormon friends.

For the most part.. they just wanna hang out. Do typical stuff. Goto church dances. Play basketball. Hang out. See a movie (some of them don't watch R-rated movies, but plenty do). Basically anything that doesn't involve drugs, they'll want to do.

It's actually kind of sad.. if you've ever seen the stereotypical Mormon on South Park. They're all dressed nice, clean cut, etc.. "HEY GUYS, WANT TO MAKE STUFF OUT OF EGG CARTONS?"

Extremely overly nice, don't want to offend anyone, etc..

I seriously laughed so hard at that part, because that's how it is sometimes.
Old 05-12-2007, 03:50 AM   #127
DLeagueWannabe
a softer side

DLeagueWannabe has an OK reputation so far

Anyone ever see the Southpark episode about Mormons? LMAO
DLeagueWannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 04:33 AM   #128
reppy
Apparently likes anime

Yeah. And that's what I'm talking about. That's basically how a lot of Mormons act. Extremely overly nice. Don't want to offend anyone. Doing silly stuff on "Family Night". Etc.

I think out of any religion, Mormons get the most undeserved heat.
Old 05-12-2007, 05:05 AM   #129
20 Dimes A Game
HeartHustleHope

20 Dimes A Game has an OK reputation so far

Just ignore it and play the game and let the L deal with it.
20 Dimes A Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 10:22 AM   #130
PejaNowitzki
#1 Manute Bol Fan

PejaNowitzki is considered somewhat coolPejaNowitzki is considered somewhat coolPejaNowitzki is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripthekik
just cause he's black doesn't mean the jazz fans will cheer for him.
i can totally imagine if Deron william comes and hit a big shot and the jazz fans erupt, then this guy hits a tough fadeaway jumper next time down and gets +1 and the crowd is silent .....................................

Total idiocy. How many of you podunk rednecks have actually been to Salt Lake City? I'm amused by all the morons painting it out to be this haven for racists, which is absolutely ridiculous.

You're actually thinking of northern Idaho.
PejaNowitzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 10:36 AM   #131
P-Forty21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLeagueWannabe
Anyone ever see the Southpark episode about Mormons? LMAO
dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb:
Old 05-12-2007, 11:08 AM   #132
0ne50
Local High School Star

0ne50 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Want to prove the Utah management purposely picks white players over black players? Bust out the draft record. Prove they draft more white players than black players. If they choose a higher percentage of white players in the draft than other teams, you have a case. Utah, the state itself, cannot attract the average black NBA basketball player.
1980 John Duren - played in Utah for just two years
81 Danny Schayes - traded in 82 for Rich Kelly
82 Dominique Wilkins - He refused to sign with the Jazz, and was dealt in September, 1982 to the Atlanta Hawks for John Drew, Freeman Williams and cash
83 Thurl Bailey - Played nine seasons with the Jazz
84 John Stockton
85 Karl Malone
86 Dell Curry - was traded to the Cleveland Cavaliers on October 8, 1987. The trade brought Darryl Dawkins and Mel Turpin to Utah and also sent Kent Benson to Cleveland
87 Jose Ortiz - Ortiz joined the Jazz for the 1988-89 season, where he stayed that season and for a portion of the 1989-90 season. He then returned to Spain, where he played many years.
88 Eric Leckner - played for 8 seasons with the Jazz
89 Blue Edwards - In the summer of 1992 he was traded to the Milwaukee Bucks
90 Walter Palmer - Played rwo seasons in the NBA
91 Eric Murdock - At season's end he was dealt along with Blue Edwards to the Milwaukee Bucks for Jay Humphries and Larry Krystkowiak
92 ---
93 Luther Wright- Wright played in only one year in the NBA
94 Jamie Watson - Between 1994 and 1997 he played with the Jazz and briefly for the Dallas Mavericks
95 Greg Ostertag - 10 seasons wit the Jazz
96 Martin Muursapp - Utah traded the rights to Martin Muursepp to Miami for a future first-round draft pick
97 Jaques Vaughn - four seasons with the Jazz
98 Nazr Mohammed - Utah traded Nazr Mohammed to Philadelphia for a future first-round draft selection.
99 Quincy Lewis - 3 seasons with Jazz
2000 DeShawn Stevenson - 3 seasons with Jazz
01 Raul Lopez-
02 Ryan Humphrey - pick traded to Orlando
03 Aleksandar Pavlovic
04 Kris Humphries
05 Deron Williams
06 Ronnie Brewer

Last edited by 0ne50 : 05-12-2007 at 11:11 AM.
0ne50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 12:24 PM   #133
ForceOfNature
In It to Win It

ForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputation

Not surprising, I believe Jackson, because it is Utah. Have you noticed that throughout the past decade or so, they've had so few black players compared to other teams? Their only fully black players now are Ronnie Brewer, Paul Millsap, and Dee Brown (only 3!!!) .
ForceOfNature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 12:41 PM   #134
Chalkmaze
Good college starter

Chalkmaze has decent reputationChalkmaze has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceOfNature
Not surprising, I believe Jackson, because it is Utah. Have you noticed that throughout the past decade or so, they've had so few black players compared to other teams? Their only fully black players now are Ronnie Brewer, Paul Millsap, and Dee Brown (only 3!!!) .

You're none too bright.
Chalkmaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 01:08 PM   #135
TonyJones
Good High School Starter

TonyJones has decent reputationTonyJones has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaWarrior
I'm not surprised, it utah

lol I was thinking the same exact thingas I read the article. No big surprise here.
TonyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: