Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 05-12-2007, 12:51 AM   #1
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here
Default I'm tired of this "Nellie made Dirk" stuff.

I realize everyone loves the Warriors and is riding Don Nelson's nuts and everything, but this is getting out of hand.

flash back to the end of the Don Nelson era. what did this team do? win a lot of regular season games and then bomb in the playoffs. what was Dirk? he was a soft ass Euro jumpshooter. what were the Mavs? they were a no-defense playing joke who nobody took seriously in the playoffs.

make fun of the Mavs all you want... make fun of Avery all you want cause he did not coach this series well. but Nellie did not make Dirk. Nellie made a soft who scores a lot; Avery made a LEGITIMATE contender, and a LEGITIMATE top 5 player. Nellie traded for redundant players because all he can do is push the ball and shoot 3s and score a lot; Avery knows how to construct, again, a LEGITIMATE contending team. despite the EPIC choke that was this first round, the Mavs are still any way you slice it a more serious playoff threat than they have EVER been especially in the Nellie days.

these Warriors are my favorite team since the pre-Carter Nets. it's strictly a bandwagon thing but I love how they play. and Avery is just what this PARTICULAR team needs. the Warriors are a bunch of individual players who are all cold hearted sons of *****es that just need DIRECTION. they know how to play, they know how to defend, they've got killer instinct to spare and want to go out there and slit some throats; they just need direction, a system, and a guiding hand to bring all that athletic and otherwise talent together. THAT is what Nellie is great at. most teams however do not have that luxury. and rest assured... that is not enough for a serious contender. I love these Warriors but they are not winning the Finals. Nellie will never win the Finals.

Avery, however, will. I can all but promise it. given equal talent to start, I would pick Avery to coach a legit championship team over Nellie in a second.

thoughts?
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 12:53 AM   #2
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star

TMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this board
Default Re: I'm tired of this "Nellie made Dirk" stuff.

Pretty much sums it up.

Nellie used Dirk as a gimmick. Avery used Dirk as a franchise player.

Unfortunately, Dirk turns into a pumpkin as soon as the clock strikes post-season. How is that Avery's fault? He made everyone take the Mavs seriously.
TMacsOneGoodEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 12:53 AM   #3
reppy
Apparently likes anime

reppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation here

Avery's offense needs a lot of work. I love his fire and passion, though.

People talked smack about their defense during the series, but frankly: the Mavericks played scared. All of them. They were giving soft double teams, were a second behind to every single loose ball, and didn't play with enough authority.
reppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 12:54 AM   #4
FabCasablancas
Banned

FabCasablancas has decent reputation

What are you going to say when Avery gets fired next season? And then Dirk is twice the player under a new coach? :
FabCasablancas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 12:54 AM   #5
Mean Joe Bean
Decent playground baller

Mean Joe Bean has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabCasablancas
What are you going to say when Avery gets fired next season? And then Dirk is twice the player under a new coach? :

Will he be twice the choker in the postseason?
Mean Joe Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 12:55 AM   #6
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star

TMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Joe Bean
Will he be twice the choker in the postseason?

Dirk would fumble all over that math problem if it was in the post-season.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:55 AM   #7
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

No coach ever made anyone. there are systems that help(Nash on the suns). but players are what they are by their own talents and work ethic. From what I know that old german who taught Dirk the game as a teen made him more than anyone else.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 12:56 AM   #8
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star

Holger taught him how to play the sax and row boats, but basketball? I don't think they worked much on that.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:59 AM   #9
FabCasablancas
Banned

FabCasablancas has decent reputation

Tmac has lost it..

Just look at his posts.. I'm lovin it! I love this game! The basketball gods don't lie.. Avery was shown to be a fraud.. just like Cuban.. Nellie and Nash were shown to be legit.. Dirk will get his due soon too.
FabCasablancas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 12:59 AM   #10
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

All I know is what ive seen on a few specials. Old guy saw a young unskilled Dirk who was nothing but tall. Told him he could become a good defender and be a good defensive nobody. Or he could teach him to be unique. Got him doing alot of drills from the 60s. Made him learn to shoot. All that.

Dirk still deserves most of the credit for accepting help and having natural talent. But if one guy just had to get the second most credit id say it was him.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 01:02 AM   #11
nbapoints
Decent playground baller

nbapoints has an OK reputation so far

Avery got out coached by Nellie plain and simple.

Also, any young team struggles in the playoffs ( except this years Warriors?) Look at how long it took the Bulls with Jordan to win it all. Look at the Detroit Pistons of the 90's. Rarely will young teams go far in the playoffs, so I think the real point should be people should stop saying Nelson can win during the regular season but can't win in the playoffs.

If Nellie had stayed in Dallas along with Nash, they would have won at least one Championship by now. Forget the Mavs winning one for a while now.
nbapoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 01:04 AM   #12
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbapoints
Avery got out coached by Nellie plain and simple.

Also, any young team struggles in the playoffs ( except this years Warriors?) Look at how long it took the Bulls with Jordan to win it all. Look at the Detroit Pistons of the 90's. Rarely will young teams go far in the playoffs, so I think the real point should be people should stop saying Nelson can win during the regular season but can't win in the playoffs.

If Nellie had stayed in Dallas along with Nash, they would have won at least one Championship by now. Forget the Mavs winning one for a while now.

HAHA hi Fab!!!

Fab breaking out all the aliases now!!! this should prove that you are owned!!

Old 05-12-2007, 01:06 AM   #13
Mean Joe Bean
Decent playground baller

Mean Joe Bean has an OK reputation so far

If Nash and Dirk and Nellie were still together... that team could probably score 130 points on any given night...

and also give up 140 points..
Mean Joe Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 01:07 AM   #14
nbapoints
Decent playground baller

nbapoints has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMacsOneGoodEye
HAHA hi Fab!!!

Fab breaking out all the aliases now!!! this should prove that you are owned!!

No, just a Warrior fan since the late 60's and a Nellie fan since Run TMC. :)
nbapoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 01:08 AM   #15
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbapoints
No, just a Warrior fan since the late 60's and a Nellie fan since Run TMC. :)

Inside joke. On this forum.

Nice for the Warriors fans to finally join us.

And LATE 60's?!! You were watching ball then? During the 60's?

I bet your avatar totally TRIPS you out. Whoa man.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: