Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 04-25-2007, 06:06 PM   #16
Xsatyr
Samurai Chef

Xsatyr has decent reputationXsatyr has decent reputation
Default Re: Stern says 5 NBA teams in Europe within 20 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
Toronto is located like driving distance away from America right? Europe is located across a gigantic fking ocean away from America. Canadian culture near the border is practically the same as American. its splitting hairs. having a NATIONAL basketball association in fking Paris is not comparable.

seriously I could go 500 words right now outlining why this is a horrible idea and never will/could happen but I don't think I need to. I think this is fairly straightforward.

They are American players who play in Europe now for less amount of money. You don't think they will play over in Europe as well? You also will have draft picks where they will pick American college players. Do we not have International players over here? I am sure their teams will have less American players at first but after time with drafts and trades, they will be like any other team. Unless they want to appeal to the town with hometown type players or players they feel they can relate to more. *cough* Utah Jazz.

Last edited by Xsatyr : 04-25-2007 at 07:07 PM.
Xsatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 06:07 PM   #17
KINGofTHEcourt
Banned

KINGofTHEcourt has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo
I don't like the idea. If the NBA wants to make money off Europe, then they should buy/start a Euroleague that exists separately and maybe has a game or two versus the North American NBA (like the All-Star game or something). But don't make players fly across the Atlantic for regular season games, that's just dumb.
I like this idea better than Sterns. A few international games anually, but nothing permanently.
KINGofTHEcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 06:09 PM   #18
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGofTHEcourt
I like this idea better than Sterns. A few international games anually, but nothing permanently.
They already do that, its called NBA Europe Live. Four teams are going nerxy season, (I forgot who).

You could say thats why the Clippers and Suns got off to a bad start at the beggining of the season.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 06:09 PM   #19
Take Your Lumps
Ho Ho Ho

Take Your Lumps has a near all-star reputation hereTake Your Lumps has a near all-star reputation hereTake Your Lumps has a near all-star reputation hereTake Your Lumps has a near all-star reputation hereTake Your Lumps has a near all-star reputation hereTake Your Lumps has a near all-star reputation here

I can see it now:

The Madrid Supersonics :

I think it's absolutely possible and it is the next step towards basketball taking over soccer as the world's preferred sport.

Key here is 20 YEARS. Imagine just how flight technology will progress by then...
Take Your Lumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 06:11 PM   #20
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterL.Kizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take Your Lumps
I can see it now:

The Madrid Supersonics :

I think it's absolutely possible and it is the next step towards basketball taking over soccer as the world's preferred sport.

Key here is 20 YEARS. Imagine just how flight technology will progress by then...
Yeah, they will probally have portals by then or giant sling shots.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:17 PM   #21
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsatyr
Teams will probably stay there for a while, kind of like in mlb when they do AL vs NL. You won't see a team go back and forth often but that is still complex trying to figure out. And the European teams will do the same when they come to the States. The main problem would be long road trips.

You'd need more than 5 teams in order to accomplish this. What, is every team that plays these 5 teams going to have to stay in europe until the whole series is done, and then go back to the U.S. ? So the europe teams play 2 home games in a row and then have to travel for months?

It's just not feasable.

Not to mention as its been already said, the league is too big now. The talent pool is watered down. Couple that with all these kids leaving college too early...

It's ridiculous. It would definitely ruin the league, unless some HUGE breakthrough in transportation was made.

Stern's such an idiot it makes my head hurt.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 06:18 PM   #22
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take Your Lumps

I remember being in grade school in the 80's, and we'd get these "weekly reader" pamphlets and I remember one of them had an article on the future.

Where are the flying cars we were promised?

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 06:23 PM   #23
jbot
Future D1 Dad

jbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

i could see a franchise branching off of the nba over in europe, like a nba euro league or something. the cost and time to haul actual nba teams over to europe and back to america to play games would be crazy.

but who knows, stern does some dumb stuff...look at the synthetic ball deal.
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 06:28 PM   #24
ForceOfNature
In It to Win It

ForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputation

That's just stupid.
ForceOfNature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 06:45 PM   #25
yobore
Good college starter

yobore is considered somewhat coolyobore is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
I remember being in grade school in the 80's, and we'd get these "weekly reader" pamphlets and I remember one of them had an article on the future.

Where are the flying cars we were promised?

Mathius
noone serious promised flying cars. I agree that air travel won't be much improved either but in twenty years alot of our driving and traffic will be automated which will be awesome cuz you will be able to get around much faster.

As for the ball thing 5 teams doesn't seem like it'd make sense you would have to travel constantly what would make sense if it wasn't for the fact that there are already 30 teams in cities that can support teams is to have half the teams here half the teams there and up until finals noone plays eachother like MLB used to be.
yobore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 06:50 PM   #26
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

bballnoob is considered somewhat coolbballnoob is considered somewhat cool

Sounds like a money grab to me. No other reason in expanding the NBA like this. The logistics would be terrible.
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 06:52 PM   #27
ZHAKIDD532
#hellobrooklyn

ZHAKIDD532 is considered somewhat coolZHAKIDD532 is considered somewhat coolZHAKIDD532 is considered somewhat cool

They were talkin about it on PTI. They thought teams'd probably fly out to Europe once a year and travel around for about 3 weeks.
ZHAKIDD532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 06:53 PM   #28
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

This is a terrible idea.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 06:54 PM   #29
thenextgreatbigman
Banned

thenextgreatbigman has an OK reputation so far

i think it would be a good idea to take one of the top euroleagues and converting them into another conference. Let the Americans play for their "conference" championship and another in europe and then the winners play for a world championship.
Make trades between continents being agreed on by players and let players sign with the leagues they want. If someone wants to stay in america then he won't sign with an euro team. At first the euro teams would suck but with time they would catch up.
thenextgreatbigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 06:55 PM   #30
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenextgreatbigman
i think it would be a good idea to take one of the top euroleagues and converting them into another conference. Let the Americans play for their "conference" championship and another in europe and then the winners play for a world championship.
Make trades between continents being agreed on by players and let players sign with the leagues they want. If someone wants to stay in america then he won't sign with an euro team. At first the euro teams would suck but with time they would catch up.
This sounds like a videogame storyline.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: