Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 04-24-2007, 07:28 PM   #46
ExpatSunsFan
Local High School Star

ExpatSunsFan has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: just a quick reality check regarding the MVP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
yes while MJ was playing ****ing BASEBALL, he was the most valuable player in the NBA. got it. man I sure blew my argument didn't I? what a dumb little kid I am.
MJ didn't die, or forget how to play basketball. He was still the best player alive in those years, his presence on a basketball team was worth more than Olajuwon's.

So, how does Olajuwon get to be the "real MVP" then?
ExpatSunsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 08:31 PM   #47
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
In an ideal world, like in your mind. But in reality... No. In reality it's about team wins, stats and image/marketing. I know it's flawed but that's the way it goes. Get over it.
I am merely establishing that the MVP is not about who the most valuable player in the NBA is so that people won't use it to put Steve Nash as a top 5 player in the NBA. that's it. I recognize that the media has turned the MVP award into what you mentioned.

Quote:
you never made an argument you douche you just screamed for a little bit and through out alot of pomp and circumstance acting like your opinion is so much more valuable than anyone elses.
the reason my opinion is worth more than most peoples is that I have extensive thought and analysis backing mine. you have no right to tell me I'm wrong without providing some kind of argument or evidence. there is no poster who can stroll in here, tell someone they're wrong without explaining why and expect to be taken seriously. not Gobb, not Kblaze, nobody. and CERTAINLY not you.

you and young grease. just think you're exempt or something. I never say anything in a serious debate without providing exaustive evidence for my opinions. even if I'm dead fking wrong. at least I give you something to work with other than "durr your dum! zomg so stooopid stfu"

Quote:
dirk is inarguably a better offensive player than duncan. duncan is inarguably a better defensive player. i personally had duncan second but to act like its a landslide is a joke. they have equivalent talent around them, the mavs won alot more thus dirk is the mvp its fairly damn simple. he was more valuable this year. why is he more valuable? because hes VASTLY more effecient scoring the ball. he turns the ball over alot less and because unlike the "big fundamental" who cant do one of the most fundamental thing in basketball, he can make a damn ft.
nevermind. I'm not addressing this post. you're a moron. period. and here's the difference. whether it be my reputation, your lack thereof, or the fact that you're completely wrong here, either way, I can get away with not wasting my time explaining why.

you completely ignored the thesis of my post. my theory is that you didn't realize my point, made an ass out of yourself, and now are trying to cover it up realizing that you're not even debating my point which is that the MVP award is meaningless.

I'm trying to, if not change the way people look at the distinction of MVP, at least convince people to disregard it as little more than media hype and a story to follow.

I'm sorry if that's a level above your cognitive ability. I'll give you something someone of your intelligence can successfully argue: who is hotter: Scarlett or Alba? go wild!

Quote:
MJ didn't die, or forget how to play basketball. He was still the best player alive in those years, his presence on a basketball team was worth more than Olajuwon's.

So, how does Olajuwon get to be the "real MVP" then?
very very weak argument. mulligan granted. take that one back to Walmart and get store credit to use on something worth saying.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 10:11 PM   #48
elementally morale
College superstar

elementally morale has a terrific reputationelementally morale has a terrific reputationelementally morale has a terrific reputationelementally morale has a terrific reputationelementally morale has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Would you mind explaining how you came up with those percentages? If you ask me, it should be:

50% stats
45% team success
5% marketing and image

I pretty much agree with you, but it just not the way it is. So when discussing who the MVP is, we have to arrive at the conclusion that it's either Nash or Dirk this year - due to the way the MVP is being selected. It's a totally different issue whether this selection method is any good.

If you ask me, I'd totally forget the MVP award and would use a Player of the Year award instead:

60% stats
40% wins

No image. No intangibles. Easy to choose. Or much easier at the very least.
elementally morale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 06:53 PM   #49
ExpatSunsFan
Local High School Star

ExpatSunsFan has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
very very weak argument. mulligan granted. take that one back to Walmart and get store credit to use on something worth saying.
Your problem is, you're conflating two arguments. If you're willing to step onto one limb, I'll commence sawing, but if you're going to hop back and forth, what's the point?

So, here's my question: is your "real MVP" something players can win with their play on the court, or is it something that's won in the minds of so-called educated fans? The fact that you mention LeBron suggests that it's the latter, because any Cavs fan will tell you he put a stamp on the first three-fourths of the season, but then you say it's about media hype, which implies that Lebron somehow earned consideration this year (and then the media took it away from him).

So, which is it? If Duncan missed 40 games this year, is he still the "real MVP"?
ExpatSunsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: