Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 04-23-2007, 06:13 PM   #1
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here
Default just a quick reality check regarding the MVP.

you guys do realize that neither Nash nor Dirk is the actual MVP right?

Tim Duncan is the most valuable player in the league. Lebron is 2nd. best player, whatever. amount of wins, whatever. I'm just stating for the record. Tim Duncans presence on a team is more valuable than Dirk's by A LANDSLIDE. more valuable than Nash's by an EVEN BIGGER LANDSLIDE.

I'm tired of people acting like Nash and Dirk are the best players in basketball because they're not. they might be top five. might. they're the best players on the teams that won the most games therefore they get MVP consideration. neither player deserves it. at all.

I realize things like... expectation, past performance, hype, wins, etc have to factor into it because the media doesn't want to give Duncan 6 straight MVPs. and Jordan one every year he played. etc. I'm just saying... who cares if its Nash or Dirk? neither guy deserves it. whats to argue about. 2 not-top-5 players, 2 players who either way would be one of the weakest MVPs in the history of the game.

I'm just tired of idiots making top 10 lists that are like this

1. Nash... 2 time MVP. "Nuff said."
2. Dirk... best player on a 67 win team. "Nuff said."
3. DWade... Finals MVP. "Nuff said."

NO. it's not "nuff said." there is no such thing as nuff said if your IQ is above 80. it requires abstract thought and comparison to figure out who the best players are. this MVP award is just so terribly misleading. if you think the above list is true but have actual reasons for it that are somewhat valid, then fine. but I'm not sure how you possibly could.

is anyone going to try to argue with me? I'm really not sure if the media has completely programmed this board or not. it's tough to tell.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:21 PM   #2
FabCasablancas
Banned

FabCasablancas has decent reputation
Default Re: just a quick reality check regarding the MVP.

Dirk has the worst coach and worst team..

The mavs are the definition of a one-man-team.

Dirk is the Peyton Manning of the NBA... the MVP with a garbage supporting cast. And because of that when Dirk looks bad becuase of his team he takes all the blame.
FabCasablancas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:55 PM   #3
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

how is it mavs vacillate between Dirk the lone wolf and J Ho is an allstar too?

This is not a terrible team. Damp is solid if overpaid and JHO and Terry are very good players. Plus this bench runs deep.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:56 PM   #4
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

MaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabCasablancas

Dirk is the Peyton Manning of the NBA... the MVP with a garbage supporting cast. And because of that when Dirk looks bad becuase of his team he takes all the blame.

Outside of Dirk, the rest of their starting lineup averages 18.9 ppg, 16.7 ppg, 12.0 ppg, and 10.2 ppg for the season. That is in no way a garbage cast, and if so, the Celtics would be happy to trade you Wally S. for J Ho... and we'll even take Jason Terry off your hands, and you can have either Delonte, Rondo or Telfair... or all three if you want?

Garbage supporting cast...
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:57 PM   #5
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Kobe has the worst team..

The lakers are the definition of a one-man-team.

Kobe is the Peyton Manning of the NBA... the MVP with a garbage supporting cast. And because of that when Kobe looks bad becuase of his team he takes all the blame.
Fixed it for you. Sorry but a player averaging 24, 9 and 3.5 is not a one man team. Hell Lebron is closer to a one man team than Dirk, with better stats
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:58 PM   #6
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Skywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I agree with Dirk but disagree with Nash. I think Nash deserves MVP.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:05 PM   #7
mas
Serious playground baller

mas has an OK reputation so far

stfu
mas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:06 PM   #8
SRZ66
Local High School Star

SRZ66 has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
I agree with Dirk but disagree with Nash. I think Nash deserves MVP.
he does, and has gotten it the last 2 years because he deserved it. people that don't think so either don't watch the suns, or don't understand basketball. duncan was an mvp in 2002 and 2003. he is not nearly as dominant and it is showing, despite the few ish duncan jocksniffers that think otherwise
SRZ66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:15 PM   #9
Brunch@Five
College superstar

Brunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputation

I agree, neither Dirk nor Nash are MVP. Not with their glaring weakness that covers half of the game. Actually, the more I think of it, Nash is more deserving, because he at least is a complete offensive player. Dirk is not.
Kobe, Garnett and Duncan are the best players in the league, Wade and Bron will be soon among them.
Brunch@Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:17 PM   #10
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Skywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
despite the couple hundred ish duncan jocksniffers that think otherwise

fixed
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:28 PM   #11
Shepseskaf
Old School

Shepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
you guys do realize that neither Nash nor Dirk is the actual MVP right?

I'm tired of people acting like Nash and Dirk are the best players in basketball because they're not. they might be top five. might. they're the best players on the teams that won the most games therefore they get MVP consideration. neither player deserves it. at all.

The MVP award has now been denigrated to the point where its nothing other than a popularity contest. In fact, it reminds me very much of how Hollywood awards are won -- by the person(s) who create the biggest "buzz." It all depends on who the voting writers "like" and bears no relation to they way that the award was traditionally given.

When Nash "won" the award in 2005, I had a feeling that it was going to be a slippery slope and that the MVP would be significantly devalued. Both have come true, and now we see media hype and the true determinative factor.

All very sad, but not truly surprising when one looks at the landscape of American culture to see how so many things have lost value and meaning.

Last edited by Shepseskaf : 04-23-2007 at 07:30 PM.
Shepseskaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:32 PM   #12
-primetime-

Quote:

god da-mn you are dumb

Kobe is a one man team, Lebron is a one man team, Dirk has plenty of talent around him....fu-ck you are dumb
Old 04-23-2007, 07:33 PM   #13
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
people that don't think so either don't watch the suns, or don't understand basketball.
***** do you want to tango?

I watch the Suns. I love the suns. I understand basketball. NASH IS NOT THE MOST VALUABLE INDIVIDUAL IN THE NBA.
the meaning of "MVP" has been distorted to mean "most overachieving individual best player on the best team" so that the real MVP doesn't get it every single season. because if that were the case, MJ, Hakeem, Shaq and Duncan would have all the MVPs of the last 20 years. so they mix it up. and this is how.

you haven't heard Duncan's or Bron's name in the media all season have you? no. and that's by design. because Duncan's hype time is over, and they're saving Lebron (and Wade) for later. media's milking Dirk and Nash for all they're worth at this point.

so that the mvp race can be interesting. encourage people to watch games. you know that Suns/Mavs was one of the most highly watched reg season games EVER on nat'l TV? bingo- that's 100% media driven. and 70% of that is the individual MVP candidates matching up, NOT the teams themselves.

so I just want to make sure everyone realizes that, when it comes right down to it, the MVP isn't about who is the most valuable player. it's about marketing. it's about rewarding a great player who does a great job over the course of a season and wins a lot of games. but it's NOT about who is the most valuable player. therefore it should NOT change how highly a player is rated, or what you think of that player! Dirk is no less or greater a player should he win the award or not, so Mavs fans, I'm talking to you Fab, stop demolishing the rest of your team in rhetoric to make it seem like Dirk deserves it because NOBODY with a chance to win actually does.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:37 PM   #14
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

Y2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected poster

Duncan is the best player, still Dirk solidly deserves the MVP award for the regular season.

People were *****ing with Nash sucking early in the playoffs last year too. Dirk is going to dominate the Warriors, and MVP voting is already in and he's going to get it. And deservingly so.

He's definately not a one man team, but he is the lone true star. Yeah Howard is a very good player, and obviously had an allstar year, but on most teams he's a 3rd option. Dirk's versatility and ability to take over is why they were so great. Having one of the all time great seasons in NBA history. Sorry, you can't have the best player on that team not win the award.

But yeah, Duncan is much more valuable than Nash though.

But Lebron ****ed up your whole argument for me.
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:54 PM   #15
eliteballer
NBA rookie of the year

eliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputation

Stop giving us your bullsh*t opinions and give us some FACTS AND ANALYSIS geenerd
eliteballer is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: