Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 04-04-2007, 05:30 PM   #31
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

MaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this board
Default Re: Real Man's (not "RMWG," dammit) Insane Plan to End Tanking Forever:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
I like the "no consecutive top 5 picks" rule as well. Teams like ATL and the Clips a few years back wouldn't get to just suck and pick high every year.

Not like it would make a difference...
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:31 PM   #32
Real Men Wear Green
BathFrog of Doom

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFly
What I was going to say... Lets say such a plan started this off season... how would the Celtics fair?
Poorly. But if they knew it was coming and so played Pierce and Jefferson it wouldn't be so bad.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:38 PM   #33
ClutchCityReturns
Decent college freshman

ClutchCityReturns has decent reputationClutchCityReturns has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
If for fun Denver misses the playoffs and under that idea they win the lottery and a Greg Oden comes out. I mean wtf, how is that fair they land a Greg Oden when they have a decent team as is.

That's obviously a concern...and a big one at that, but like I said, it's a give and take. I'm personally not as concerned with tanking as I am with parody, but I'm taking a quick shot at a "solution" anyway. Frankly, I'm not sure there is one. Not without drastically changing playoff format and the way the draft itself is conducted.

Rock | Lottery/Tanking | Hard Place
ClutchCityReturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:42 PM   #34
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

MaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
Poorly. But if they knew it was coming and so played Pierce and Jefferson it wouldn't be so bad.

I don't know... we'd win, at most, 5-7 more games... but would be stuck in perpetual suckiness for quite some time... The only way for the team to get better would be through trades and aquisitions (while Ainge is our GM )... we'd get no help from the lotterly. This is the basketball equivalent of the rich getting richer and the poor getting screwed over... repeatedly...

Take into account players being forced to play through injuries or coming back early from injuries just so that the organization can try to win games and get a better lottery pick... messing with the longevity of their players' careers...
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:53 PM   #35
Real Men Wear Green
BathFrog of Doom

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

If Pierce didn't get hurt the team could easily be 9th or 10th in the EC. Next year, if Jefferson is giving 18 and 11 while Pierce scores over 25 with good health this team won't be at the bottom in the NBA no matter what. And I seriously doubt players will ruin their careers over lottery picks. If a guy is so hurt that his career is in Jeopardy he's going to rest. Think a guy's going to bust himself up so that the team can draft someone that might even replace him? Nor is this "rich getting richer." Teams like Dallas and SA still pick at the end of the draft. Instead, teams like Minnesota, which certainly do not qualify as "rich," get help to become playoff-worthy. The system may create a few teams that remain abysmal for a long time but there would also be more exciting teams that fans could get into.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 06:09 PM   #36
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchCityReturns
That's obviously a concern...and a big one at that, but like I said, it's a give and take. I'm personally not as concerned with tanking as I am with parody, but I'm taking a quick shot at a "solution" anyway. Frankly, I'm not sure there is one. Not without drastically changing playoff format and the way the draft itself is conducted.

Rock | Lottery/Tanking | Hard Place

Yeah i agree there. I didnt mean to dog your idea, wasnt bad. But i jus wanted to argue it.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:44 PM   #37
Rebel INS
I hit open 5-footers

Rebel INS has decent reputation

my solution would be that the worst 4 teams get an equal chance of drawing the number 1 pick and then the next 4 have the same chance of drawing picks 5-8, etc. This would prevent the teams at the bottom from trying to lose extra games just to get that slight edge with more ping pong balls.
Rebel INS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 11:05 PM   #38
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel INS
my solution would be that the worst 4 teams get an equal chance of drawing the number 1 pick and then the next 4 have the same chance of drawing picks 5-8, etc. This would prevent the teams at the bottom from trying to lose extra games just to get that slight edge with more ping pong balls.
good idea, along the same track

I'd increase the lottery to the teams that miss the playoffs and the number 8 ranked teams in each conference... then the worsts 5 teams get 3 pingpong balls in the machine the next 5 get 2 and the remainders all get 1

Last edited by gts : 04-04-2007 at 11:11 PM.
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: