Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 04-04-2007, 01:34 PM   #1
Baller1986
The Real ISH Legend

Baller1986 is a pretty well-respected posterBaller1986 is a pretty well-respected posterBaller1986 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Kevin Garnett opens up about losing, AI and his future

KG opens up about losing, AI and his future

By Marc Stein

ESPN.com
Archive

MINNEAPOLIS -- Kevin Garnett really wanted to wait.

He knows that uncomfortable questions will be unavoidable once his Minnesota Timberwolves mathematically are doomed to a third straight season out of the playoffs.

Bill Baptist/Getty Images

Surely deep breaths help KG deal with his losing situation.

He knows that if you're giving the Wolves any thought these days, it's only to wonder whether years of disappointment and Wolves mismanagement finally have convinced the 30-year-old to push for a trade.

He also knows, even as his 12th season drains away, that he'd rather withhold those thoughts from public consumption for as long as he can.

Yet if anyone in the NBA can identify with persistence, it's KG. So when he repeatedly spotted ESPN.com in his beloved Minnesota last week, Garnett eventually relented. He consented to take a few minutes' worth of questions after Saturday's practice … after practice, lifting weights and a round of extra shooting that -- shocker -- made him the last Wolf off the floor.

Q: Your future comes up more than ever because of the opt-out clause in your contract after next season. But forget what media types like me have been saying. I'm sure you've heard some of your former peers like Charles Barkley and Reggie Miller on TV urging you to ask for a trade. What's your reaction when they say it?

A: I was telling some friends the other day, my analogy is a house. I've helped build a house or I've built a house [in Minneapolis]. It had old wood in it and I replaced it with special wood and it became a beautiful place. But now because things aren't working right, now you ask me to move out of something that I helped build. That's hard.

People who have experienced moving, they can look at [my situation] and say it's probably an easier process [to request a trade]. But I haven't done that, so it's not as easy for me. I can't speak with the perspective of people who have [switched teams]. You hear the stories. I've got personal friends that moved from teams. But instead of replacing some of the appliances or replacing some of the pipes or replacing things in the house, you just ask me to move? That's a difficult call for me.

But losing's also hard for me, too.

Q: Another season like this must be killing you then?

A: It is. It is. It is. It is. And not just how we're losing. The personnel. I was crushed when we let Sammy [Cassell] go [in 2005] and Spree [Latrell Sprewell]. I felt like we didn't handle that right.

Q: So one of the problems …

A: Not having enough veterans here. [And] no disrespect towards Case [ex-Wolves coach Dwane Casey], I enjoyed my two years with him, but when you're trying to build, when you're trying to win, you got to have … there's a lot of good coaches out there. There's a lot of great coaches out there.

Ron Turenne/NBAE via Getty Images

Garnett's still waiting for help to arrive in Minnesota.

Q: I've heard that the Wolves were so convinced at one point in early December that Allen Iverson was Minnesota-bound that management was getting owner Glen Taylor's plane ready to pick AI up in Philly. Were you led to believe that an Iverson trade was that close?

A: Freddy [assistant general manager Fred Hoiberg] was keeping me in tune with what was going on and when that happened … I don't know. I don't know. I'm not gonna front. I was very excited. And then at the 11th hour, things fell through.

Q: Mark Madsen told me that the question he gets most from people on the street or in restaurants is whether you're going to stay in Minnesota or ask to be traded. But Madsen also told me that he and the rest of your teammates never ask you those kinds of questions. Doesn't that surprise you a little?

A: I let it be known to everyone [in the organization] that we're going to finish this year out and everybody's going to assess and do what they have to do for themselves. And I'm no different from that. But I don't get into detail or the distraction of talking about something that I haven't really in depth researched or talked about myself.

Q: But after spending a few days in town, I have to tell you, there's a feeling in the air that this is all coming to a head and that the end is near for the Kevin Garnett era in Minnesota. You really don't feel the same thing?

A: My feeling is I got 10 games [left as of Saturday] and I'm going to finish the 10 like it's my last [of my career]. I'm going to finish them as if we're still in the playoff hunt, finish them off 110 percent, and then I'll assess what I'm going to do. Until then, man, I'm going to continue to try to enjoy this game like I always have.

Q: If you end up staying with the Wolves and one trip to the Western Conference finals is as good as it gets in your career, won't that be hard to live with?

A: Absolutely. To fulfill myself and my appetite, obviously. But like I said, I'm not going to even get into it. Maybe I'll speak to you later on in the future about some other things. Other than that, I'm going to finish these 10 off like it's my last.

Q: It's been said that you dream of being basketball's answer to the late Kirby Puckett in Minneapolis, playing for only one team and delivering a championship to Minnesotans like Kirby did. Is that a valid comparison?

A: When you adopt a city or a city has adopted you, I play my heart out not just for myself and my family but also for this city. That's not to be discounted in anything. I feel like, if you're going to be a face somewhere … lots of guys are faces of the [cities] they play in and I'm the face here. I take a lot of pride in that. Kirby, may he rest in peace, was a dear, dear friend. And he taught me that if management's right, you can win here just like you can win anywhere else. And I've sort of adopted that.

Q: So if you or the Wolves choose not to pursue a trade this summer, do you think we'll still see some major changes with this franchise?

A: There's got to be. F--- yeah. I think [head coach] Randy Wittman would echo that, so it's not just me.

Source: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/column...arc&id=2825083

Last edited by Baller1986 : 04-04-2007 at 01:38 PM.
Baller1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 01:38 PM   #2
TheBynumProject
Byonic

TheBynumProject has decent reputation
Default Re: Kevin Garnett opens up about losing, AI and his future

Kevin Garnett drives me crazy. I much as I enjoy his game, the fact that I'm reading about this bull**** is absurd. Kevin Garnett handstrung the small-market Wolves with his greed. But the team is the most important thing to him right?

Oh, NOW its the most important thing? After you've pocketed well over 200 million from the Wolves, a large portion of what the entire team is WORTH?? AT LEAST 25 percent of that should have been put towards the team around him, maybe they wouldn't suck so bad then. Maybe they wouldn't be so unable to manuver financially that they attempt stupid under the table bull***** like Joe Smith that ****s the team up. Maybe they wouldn't make dumb, desperate, stopgap signings like Mike James so KG can't sit and whine about how they never do anything to improve. This guy is not very smart. Idiot dug his own grave, and he can't even man up and sit in it. Baby.

Last edited by TheBynumProject : 04-04-2007 at 01:45 PM.
TheBynumProject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 02:13 PM   #3
rezznor
Nosetradamus

rezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBynumProject
Kevin Garnett drives me crazy. I much as I enjoy his game, the fact that I'm reading about this bull**** is absurd. Kevin Garnett handstrung the small-market Wolves with his greed. But the team is the most important thing to him right?

Oh, NOW its the most important thing? After you've pocketed well over 200 million from the Wolves, a large portion of what the entire team is WORTH?? AT LEAST 25 percent of that should have been put towards the team around him, maybe they wouldn't suck so bad then. Maybe they wouldn't be so unable to manuver financially that they attempt stupid under the table bull***** like Joe Smith that ****s the team up. Maybe they wouldn't make dumb, desperate, stopgap signings like Mike James so KG can't sit and whine about how they never do anything to improve. This guy is not very smart. Idiot dug his own grave, and he can't even man up and sit in it. Baby.

i bet you wouldnt complain if he wanted to go to the lakers.
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 02:14 PM   #4
adamcz
Bucks fan

adamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
In a statement prepared by his agent, Kevin Garnett is requesting a trade to the Milwaukee Bucks
Whoah!
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 02:19 PM   #5
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

saKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Kevin Garnett handstrung the small-market Wolves with his greed.
Absolutely untrue.

Several teams have worked with contracts almost as big as Garnett's. His contract isn't the problem - it's the people in charge of who gets what contract and who gets traded and drafted and signed.
saKf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 02:37 PM   #6
TheBynumProject
Byonic

I disagree. Obviously I understand your point, that had McHale made better moves around KG the team could have been alot better. However, KGs contract made everything that much harder. Remember, it was singed in 1997 when the salary cap was less than half of what it is today. And all the speculation created by attempting to re-sign him took precedance over winning and keeping the nucleus of KG, Steph, and Googs together.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:38 PM   #7
ronron15
High School Starter

ronron15 is considered somewhat coolronron15 is considered somewhat cool

only if they kept spree n cassell, it'll be different...

i wanna see KG win tho, go to another team!! haha
ronron15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 02:40 PM   #8
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

saKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
I disagree. Obviously I understand your point, that had McHale made better moves around KG the team could have been alot better. However, KGs contract made everything that much harder. Remember, it was singed in 1997 when the salary cap was less than half of what it is today. And all the speculation created by attempting to re-sign him took precedance over winning and keeping the nucleus of KG, Steph, and Googs together.
Marbury left because he didn't want Garnett to be the main guy (on the floor and financially). Gugliotta got all injured, which had nothing to do with Garnett.

The Joe Smith fiasco and the wasting of any draft picks the team actually did get was what killed the Wolves. Trades that don't work out or signings that disappoint happen to everyone (though not with the same frequency as that with which they happen to Minnesota), but if you can't draft well, you shouldn't have your GM job very long.
saKf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 02:45 PM   #9
TheBynumProject
Byonic

Quote:
The Joe Smith fiasco and the wasting of any draft picks the team actually did get was what killed the Wolves.

Okay, I agree it played a lagre part. Could you say with a straight face that the Wolves would have gone to such shady lengths to add talent if their cap wasn't tied around an 125 million dollar contract? (the cap back then was about 30 million). So his contract was over 4 times the salary cap.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:46 PM   #10
BradMiller52
Kings fan

BradMiller52 has an OK reputation so far

Hey SAKF if the wolves keep their pick would you be fine trading it for Mike Bibby?
BradMiller52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 02:48 PM   #11
TheBynumProject
Byonic

NO. Get outta here.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:50 PM   #12
0ne50
Local High School Star

0ne50 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by saKf
Absolutely untrue.

Several teams have worked with contracts almost as big as Garnett's. His contract isn't the problem - it's the people in charge of who gets what contract and who gets traded and drafted and signed.
Nobody in the L has a contract situation like KG's, you can stop that right there.

I don't see losing bothering him that much. I don't hate him for it though. At least he is being true to who he is. At least he isn't kicking and screaming, demanding trades and whatnot like he is all about winning and not about the money. Every now and then he'll give you a little sound bite about how he wants to win and then he goes on about his business.

Face it people losing doesn't bother everybody especially when your winning at the bank.

KG's attitude: I'll give you your money's worth and if we don't win it's not my fault. Now, gimme my money b*tch!
0ne50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:05 PM   #13
BradMiller52
Kings fan

BradMiller52 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
NO. Get outta here.

Last time I checked you aren't SAKF. You get out of here:
BradMiller52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:07 PM   #14
TheBynumProject
Byonic

Right. You asked sakf, but I gave my opinion anyway. No harm intended. But cmon dude, if Minny keeps their pick its in the top ten and they're not trading it for Bibby. They need young talent. They are done adding high-salaried vets. Glen Taylor said so simself.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:13 PM   #15
Baller1986
The Real ISH Legend

Baller1986 is a pretty well-respected posterBaller1986 is a pretty well-respected posterBaller1986 is a pretty well-respected poster

The Cleveland Cavaliers needs the services of Kevin Garnett.
Baller1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: