Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Local High School Star Stringer Bell's Avatar

Default Magic Johnson vs. Michael Jordan in the Post

Which MJ was more effective in the post?

Jordan had more variety of moves in the post: spins, fadeaways going to his left and his right, on the block, excellent footwork and fakes, dipping under for the lay-ins.

Magic didn't have as many moves as Jordan but his moves were highly effective. In addition to being tall enough to be a PF (hell, some centers are only slightly taller than Magic), he had excellent spin moves, and he could make hook shots from both his right hand and his left hand. Being possibly the best passer ever, he of course was very effective at passing when posting up as well.
    Last edited by Stringer Bell; 09-29-2014 at 04:06 PM.

Default Re: Magic Johnson vs. Michael Jordan in the Post

Magic could post up Michael.

MJ is better as it is mainly scoring skillset.

MJ > MJ. Deal with it.

I'd probably say Magic yea, he's bigger and more effective there, he had a great soft-touch from close, he could drive/spin, and most importantly he had a really good hook-shot (already there before he was a pro then developed it, even with Kareem), not to mention that he was also a great passer out of the post...
    And yea, MJ probably had more moves overall though, also a better fadeaway.

And Michael, even as great as he was as a defender, was murked plenty of times by Magic or Bird in the post, due their size, skill and smarts.

Quote Originally Posted by riseagainst
    MJ > MJ. Deal with it.
    Very informative post. Please keep sharing ur knowledge.

MJ > MJ. Deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by SHAQisGOAT
    I'd probably say Magic yea, he's bigger and more effective there, he had a great soft-touch from close, he could drive/spin, and most importantly he had a really good hook-shot (already there before he was a pro then developed it, even with Kareem), not to mention that he was also a great passer out of the post...
    And yea, MJ probably had more moves overall though, also a better fadeaway.

And Michael, even as great as he was as a defender, was murked plenty of times by Magic or Bird in the post, due their size, skill and smarts.
    I think it can be easily said that Jordan had the better fadeaway considering I don't think I ever saw Magic shoot a fadeaway jumper from the post. Not saying he never did, but don't recall it being part of his post moves repertoire.

I've not seen a lot of either of them in the post, but from what I have seen I would say Magic is better.

He made it looked easier than Jordan did imo.

Quote Originally Posted by T_L_P
    I've not seen a lot of either of them in the post, but from what I have seen I would say Magic is better.

He made it looked easier than Jordan did imo.
    mainly because of him being taller?

mainly because of him being taller?
    Almost solely.

Magic had a very fluid post game though. His hooks were awesome.

Depends, ( scoring wise)

on the low Block Magic had a very good hook(baby)shot over both hands and he also could back his defender down and Drop step em' ( turning over either shoulder)...being 6'9" obviously gave him an advantage on the block...against bigger defenders Magic like to attack off the dribble mainly from the top of the key ( drive /layup)...not necessarily a post move.

BUT, scoring wise.....(everywhere except for the low block) Jordan was a much more dangerous player...especially from the PINCH POST

he could face up and blow past anyone for a layup/dunk/hang in air and wait shot ( I don't even know what to call em)

he could turn over both shoulders and fadeway ( especially after 1991, that was his go to move)...or he could just take 1 hard dribble and pull up....he was to fast and to skilled.
    Last edited by AlphaWolf24; 09-29-2014 at 05:50 PM.

MJ > MJ. Deal with it.

WTF are you saying, did you even watch MJ? He's on another level than MJ. Boxscore tracker confirmed.

Even though Jordan is the GOAT, Bird, Magic, and Lebron have a size and versatility that sets them apart from the other great perimeter players. The fact they can move to the PF position sets them apart MJ, Kobe, West, Big O, Hondo, Isiah, Doc etc. So I would say Magic over MJ because if anything Magic has big man type size and traits. In terms of technical level, MJ may be the greatest perimeter player in the post ever.

Quote Originally Posted by bizil
    Even though Jordan is the GOAT, Bird, Magic, and Lebron have a size and versatility that sets them apart from the other great perimeter players. The fact they can move to the PF position sets them apart MJ, Kobe, West, Big O, Hondo, Isiah, Doc etc. So I would say Magic over MJ because if anything Magic has big man type size and traits. In terms of technical level, MJ may be the greatest perimeter player in the post ever.
    I'd say Kobe was more technical and skilled in the post with his footwork than MJ, but Jordan was much stronger and quicker with his shot in the post.

Very good NBA starter

inb4 3ball