Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    College superstar VengefulAngel's Avatar

Default When Tim Duncan takes a pay cut he's lauded for it...

But if any1 on the Heat take a paycut it's collusion?

Just trying to clear this 'issue'.

Do some of you even know the definition of 'collusion'...

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Default Re: When Tim Duncan takes a pay cut he's lauded for it...

Duncan didn't even take a huge cut. Well, in some sense he did because he could have gotten more, but he got paid his value.

He was overpaid in 11 and 12 at 21 million plus each year...and then has made roughly 10 million the last 2 and this coming year.

With no state tax...that is a fair price for him.

If Lebron and Bosh take a real cut...that will be noteworthy

Quite simply, people hate the Heat and have a biased opinion. It doesn't matter what Miami does, people will bash them for it.

James, Wade and Bosh taking paycuts to fill out the bench is fine. Doing it to sign another superstar, one who already plays in their piss poor conference, is not.

You act as if Duncan did it to bring in Pau, or Howard, or Rondo. He did it to keep his squad together.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    Duncan didn't even take a huge cut. Well, in some sense he did because he could have gotten more, but he got paid his value.

He was overpaid in 11 and 12 at 21 million plus each year...and then has made roughly 10 million the last 2 and this coming year.

With no state tax...that is a fair price for him.

If Lebron and Wade take a real cut...that will be noteworthy
    'Well, in some sense he did because he could have gotten more'

No need to respond to the rest.
    Last edited by VengefulAngel; 06-28-2014 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by T_L_P
    James, Wade and Bosh taking paycuts to fill out the bench is fine. Doing it to sign another superstar, one who already plays in their piss poor conference, is not.

You act as if Duncan did it to bring in Pau, or Howard, or Rondo. He did it to keep his squad together.
    This has to be the dumbest post i've ever read on here which isn't a troll post.

If you're going to spout a bunch of BS at least try to validate it with a cohesive and cogent argument.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VengefulAngel
    'Well, in some sense he did because he could have gotten more'

No need to even write a response.

Not really...this Kobe contract is skewing things. Everyone gets paid their value at that age except Kobe.

Dirk is coming down in pay that is in line with his value.

There is nothing special about Duncan post 2012 taking 10 million a year. That is normal.

The odd thing here is Kobe getting paid 2.5 times his on court value at his age...or Lebron taking significantly less than his on court value in the heart of his prime.

Duncan made 21 million a year in 2012. If Lebron goes down to 15 or so...he'll be making signficiantly less than out of prime Duncan. LOL

If you can't see the difference...then I'm sorry.

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

A "ask a question where anybody with a different opinion is so stupid I don't even have to respond" thread

4 ring - 4 FMVP - 4MVP J Shuttlesworth's Avatar

So you would hate it if the Spurs signed a superstar? Their big 3 are already playing for well below their market value so if they signed LeBron or Melo, it wouldn't be different then what the Heat might do. You're saying you would lose respect for them if the Spurs added a superstar to their roster?

Quote Originally Posted by VengefulAngel
    This has to be the dumbest post i've ever read on here which isn't a troll post.

If you're going to spout a bunch of BS at least try to validate it with a cohesive and cogent argument.
    So Duncan keeping the core together, whilst simultaneously dropping his pay to match his value, is the same as the Heat players taking paycuts to add another superstar?

Wow, you're a ****ing genius.

Please, make your response.

Keeping your core the same is far different than adding a star to it.
    That's not a justification.

Let me throw out a hypothetical so you get it.

If I'm a GM and my player's are taking a paycut, i'm going to fill the rest of my roster with the player's who are going to improve the team. If that's the addition of an extra star or role player's then so be it. What an earth does that have to do with the players who are already playing for my team?...

Quote Originally Posted by TheMarkMadsen
    A "ask a question where anybody with a different opinion is so stupid I don't even have to respond" thread
    No, I normally don't respond to the stupid one's but you're the exception.

Duncan is paid market value in his new contract, it wasnt a paycut like for Heat trio.

38-39 years old earning 10+ mln. is actually very good pay, and he deserves it, but please no crap how he would still be making 20 mln. but "out of his good heart he took a paycut", its just a positive PR spin.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by DaSeba5
    Quite simply, people hate the Heat and have a biased opinion. It doesn't matter what Miami does, people will bash them for it.
    Basically this. Even if all the Heat Big-3 return, after renegotiating their contracts... they'll still somehow be hated for it... (I'm not fully expecting that to happen, but it wouldn't surprise me)

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    Not really...this Kobe contract is skewing things. Everyone gets paid their value at that age except Kobe.

Dirk is coming down in pay that is in line with his value.

There is nothing special about Duncan post 2012 taking 10 million a year. That is normal.

The odd thing here is Kobe getting paid 2.5 times his on court value at his age...or Lebron taking significantly less than his on court value in the heart of his prime.

Duncan made 21 million a year in 2012. If Lebron goes down to 15 or so...he'll be making signficiantly less than out of prime Duncan. LOL

If you can't see the difference...then I'm sorry.
    This is more of a flaw with the salary cap system, let's not act like there isn't a huge incentive for a player in Lebron's position not to take a paycut.