Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-19-2007, 05:18 PM   #16
loot
H.U.M.A.N. World

Default Re: Marvin Williams for Jose Calderon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo5
Calderon isn't appreciably better than any of the PG's I have now in Speedy, AJ and Lue. Therefore you'd have to give me something better than a straight up with Calderon. But then again Bargnani doesn't really impress me either. He's basically Zaza but doesn't rebound nearly as well...just another solid Euro stiff.

Does Knight post here under the name 'Johnny Bravo'?
loot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:23 PM   #17
JohnnyBravo5
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by loot
Does Knight post here under the name 'Johnny Bravo'?

Y'all still need to explaint to me why I would trade my 20 year old, who was touted as the best talent in the 2005 draft, for a point guard who only can get 21mpg and isnt appreciably better than the 3 point guards on my roster who I am currently paying 12 million per year to?

If Calderon was so great, then Toronto wouldn't be shipping him off, especially since you all so obviously don't hold Marvin Williams in such great esteem.
JohnnyBravo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:27 PM   #18
FPower
Local High School Star

A better trade for the Hawks would be Marvin for either Chris Paul or Deron Williams... OOOPS!
FPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:27 PM   #19
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Y'all are out of your mind. Marvin Williams will be an allstar in 2 years. Call me a homer but I wouldn't trade him for Calderon and Bargnani.

GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:29 PM   #20
The Italian
Defense? Whats that?

Quote:
I would expect you to be objective Mr. Italian. I guess y'all claim Kobe too huh?

How can you honestly say that you wouldn't trade Williams for Calderon and Bargnani? Just let me hear your reasoning behind this.

PS I'm not a Bargnani homer or anything and if you ask other people that know my posts they will tell you that I'm not.
The Italian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:29 PM   #21
TheBigAristotle1
Serious playground baller

Toronto wouldn't trade Calderon for Marvin Williams. Marvin Williams isn't a tenth of the player Calderon is. If they did the trade it would be totally based on potential.

Calderon is putting up insane numbers despite playing behind a very good point gaurd who plays a lot of minutes.
TheBigAristotle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:31 PM   #22
Molson
Great young streetballer

JohnnyB,

Not trying to bust your balls but have you seen Calderon play or are you just going by stats? Honestly I'm just curious. If you have, how many times have you seen him play?

Again, not trying to bust em...just genuinely serious.
Molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:39 PM   #23
JohnnyBravo5
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molson
JohnnyB,

Not trying to bust your balls but have you seen Calderon play or are you just going by stats? Honestly I'm just curious. If you have, how many times have you seen him play?

Again, not trying to bust em...just genuinely serious.

Of course I have seen him play. He is a nice young point guard. I'd love to have him. The difference is this. Marvin Williams has the potential to be a franchise player. No one has ever rated either Bargnani or Calderon as "franchise players". They may be, but that is not their expectation.

Marvin has fallen out of favor with the baskeball public because he is putting up numbers that normal 20 year olds not named Lebron James put up. He is avg 12/4 after starting the season with a broken hand. He hasn't played consistent pg all season because both Speedy and Ty Lue have missed pretty much the entire season with injuries. We've had NBDL players starting a point at times this season. He began the season as the MVP of the Summer League and was probably headed to a nice breakout year. I'd expect as much next season. Therefore, there is no way you could get ne to make that trade. As a Toronto fan, wouldn't you want TMac back? That is basically what you are telling me to do, trade Tmac, for Jason Terry. And I wouldn't do it, neither would Billy Knight.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:39 PM   #24
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

Quote:
Y'all are out of your mind. Marvin Williams will be an allstar in 2 years. Call me a homer but I wouldn't trade him for Calderon and Bargnani.

I hope your joking?
HaNdLe ThE RoCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:46 PM   #25
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

JohnnyBravo also said he wouldnt trade Josh Smith for Peterson, Calderon and .... wait for it..... Chris Bosh. So jsut ignore him. There is no changing his midn or talking sense into him.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:51 PM   #26
JohnnyBravo5
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
JohnnyBravo also said he wouldnt trade Josh Smith for Peterson, Calderon and .... wait for it..... Chris Bosh. So jsut ignore him. There is no changing his midn or talking sense into him.

Well that doesn't count because being from Atlanta, I have an emotional, civic pride tie with Josh Smith that I don't have with Marvin Williams. My argument is strictly on talent and potential. I just believe that Marvin Williams has more talent and potential than Bargnani or Calderon. I don't know why that is so far fetched. He was the second pick in the effin draft.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:59 PM   #27
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

Just cuz your from Atlanta doesn't mean you can be rational too. Talent and potential are nice but when it comes to actual results, Williams falls short. Also his draft position should have nothing to do with his value.
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:01 PM   #28
The Italian
Defense? Whats that?

Quote:
Well that doesn't count because being from Atlanta, I have an emotional, civic pride tie with Josh Smith that I don't have with Marvin Williams. My argument is strictly on talent and potential. I just believe that Marvin Williams has more talent and potential than Bargnani or Calderon. I don't know why that is so far fetched. He was the second pick in the effin draft.

It doesn't matter where in the draft he was taken. If you go by that logic then Bargnani is better beceause he was the fist pick in a draft. Horrible logic.
The Italian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:05 PM   #29
MTing
Where Brooklyn at?

I agree on the draft part. Just cause your drafed in the 2nd round doesnt mean you suck. Look at Gil Arenas.
Calderon is pretty good. In a few years he'll be great.
MTing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:08 PM   #30
JohnnyBravo5
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballnoob
Just cuz your from Atlanta doesn't mean you can be rational too. Talent and potential are nice but when it comes to actual results, Williams falls short. Also his draft position should have nothing to do with his value.

When you are only a second year player, your draft position has everything to do with value. There was a reason he was the consensus #1 player in the draft. Tony Mejia called him a future hall of famer. Granted there are busts but I think that avg 12/4 on a team where you aren't relied upon to be the #1 scorer is a decent start to your career. Because Toronto is a playoff team are we suppose to look at every role player as if they are All star material. Let us not forget that the Raptors traded for TJ Ford. If Calderon was an all star in the making (which he would have to be in order to trade your #2 pick for him) then would Toronto have made that move? There was no need necessarily for a veteran presence, Toronto could have just let the youth grow together.

But hey think what you will. It ain't going to happen and I am glad.

But if you want Josh Childress for Calderon the store is open.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: