Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-19-2007, 04:36 PM   #16
PMshooter
High School Varsity 12th Man

PMshooter has decent reputationPMshooter has decent reputation
Default Re: tampering with Durant Danny Ainge has no integrity

What Ainge did is definitely unethical. But he wouldn't be much a capitalist if he didn't unethical pursue the highest source of income available to him. It was a calculated risk, and the tampering was well worth the fine, from a business standpoint. It's like Roddy Piper said, "if you're not cheating, you're not trying hard enough."

Personally, as someone who believes that everyone who graduates high school should be smart enough to take 4 years and experience college, I find what he did reprehensible, as it's pressuring a kid to give up a once in a lifetime experience.
PMshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:10 PM   #17
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMshooter
What Ainge did is definitely unethical. But he wouldn't be much a capitalist if he didn't unethical pursue the highest source of income available to him. It was a calculated risk, and the tampering was well worth the fine, from a business standpoint. It's like Roddy Piper said, "if you're not cheating, you're not trying hard enough."
Confused economic theory, "unethical," and the wisdom of the WWE, all together in one paragraph. Two minutes ago, I wouldn't have thought that such a post was possible.
Quote:
Personally, as someone who believes that everyone who graduates high school should be smart enough to take 4 years and experience college, I find what he did reprehensible, as it's pressuring a kid to give up a once in a lifetime experience.
Because, you know, once a guy goes pro he can NEVER go to college, EVER. There is, in fact, a law prohibiting anyone that has played in the National Basketball Association from going to school. Well, except for Shaq, who found a loophole when he attended Pheonix Online, which isn't a real school. Darn that Shaq.
Real Men Wear Green is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:41 PM   #18
BradMiller52
Kings fan

BradMiller52 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
Because, you know, once a guy goes pro he can NEVER go to college, EVER. There is, in fact, a law prohibiting anyone that has played in the National Basketball Association from going to school. Well, except for Shaq, who found a loophole when he attended Pheonix Online, which isn't a real school. Darn that Shaq.

OMG.
BradMiller52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:49 PM   #19
R.I.P.
NBA lottery pick

R.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Nobody will pass up on Durant in June, because Ainge shoved his **** up Momma Durant. Only the Ping Pong Balls decide where Durant goes. If he refuses to play for another team, then the whole incident could become an issue, and Durant could be suspened before setting a foot into the league and Ainge/Boston could be McHaled like his old buddy in Minnesota.
R.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:56 PM   #20
jaja
Great young streetballer

jaja has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Ummm maybe thats because the media that covers him is the toughest media in the nation ie New York. Runner ups being Philadelphia.

good point
jaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:02 PM   #21
knicks15
Local High School Star

knicks15 has decent reputation

i wonder if she blew his cover by saying that she was talkin to him on tv
knicks15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:06 PM   #22
Vendetta
Banned

Vendetta has an OK reputation so far

Quote:

LOL, exactly.

I don't get what the big ****ing deal is. Why does the NBA give a ****?

He's talking to a guaranteed lottery pick that is going to make millions and millions if he comes out now.

In fact, it's in the kid's best interest to come out now rather than play anymore college. Why? Finances. What happens if he has a career ending injury while playing college ball? Sure as **** won't have the same type of life that he'd have if he had a career ending injury after signing a guaranteed contract.
Vendetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:09 PM   #23
Vendetta
Banned

Vendetta has an OK reputation so far

Oh, and as already said... it's not like Ainge is able to sign the kid. He has to go to the draft... and the lottery is not under Ainge's control.

The ONLY thing that I could possibly see someone viewing as not a good thing to do is making contact during the tourney which could possibly (but not very likely) distract Durant or his teammates, for instance.

Other than that, wtf.
Vendetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:48 PM   #24
PMshooter

Quote:

Hey, if you think that all there is to college is getting a degree, you've never been to college, or you have and wasted 4 years of your life. In fact, I'd say that getting a college degree is less than 50% of the college experience. It's the best possible environment for kids to grow, and find themselves as people without the pressures of life to run them down. It's a big deal to the development of most of the people that go there. You can get a degree anywhere. 18-22 is a special time, and it's a shame to see a kid like Durant, who has already expressed lots of interest in experiencing those formative years in a protective environment like college get pressured to leave.

As far as the economics go, the possibility of a Durant/Pierce team would make up more than whatever paltry fine was assessed in tickets sales and TV advertising deals in no time flat. It doesn't make economic sense not to try to get an in with the kid's family, is what I was trying to say.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:27 PM   #25
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Hey, if you think that all there is to college is getting a degree, you've never been to college, or you have and wasted 4 years of your life. In fact, I'd say that getting a college degree is less than 50% of the college experience. It's the best possible environment for kids to grow, and find themselves as people without the pressures of life to run them down. It's a big deal to the development of most of the people that go there. You can get a degree anywhere. 18-22 is a special time, and it's a shame to see a kid like Durant, who has already expressed lots of interest in experiencing those formative years in a protective environment like college get pressured to leave.
I think I'd have enjoyed college much more if I had millions of dollars. Actually, to be honest, I wouldn't have gone at all. Ask Kobe Bryant or Tracy McGrady how they feel about "special time." Regardless of your emotional feelings about school and being 18-22 while you're in it, the main reason people go to college is to prepare themselves for their job. I'd say that Kevin Durant is well-prepared to play basketball. And I doubt that Danny Ainge has added any pressure to Kevin Durant by talking to his mother. Ainge has, right now, 0 authority in Durant's life.
Quote:
As far as the economics go, the possibility of a Durant/Pierce team would make up more than whatever paltry fine was assessed in tickets sales and TV advertising deals in no time flat. It doesn't make economic sense not to try to get an in with the kid's family, is what I was trying to say.
Well, this is a fun thing to consider, isn't it? Let's really look at it. Right now, there is a 38.9% chance that the celtics get one of the top two picks in the draft. Assuming the present lottery order holds steady (likely, but not a given) they will then need one of these two situations to occur to be sure of getting Durant:
1st pick in the draft, with Durant going pro.
2nd Pick in the draft, with Oden and Durant both going pro and the lottery winner taking Oden.
Say Durant is 50/50 on returning (an uneducated guess, I have no idea how he feels about the subject right now), Also give Oden the same odds ('cuz I'm not sure about him either, could be swayed either way by how the Tournament goes) and what are we left with, a 10% chance that Durant can be a Celtic next year? And did Ainge influence Durant in any way at all through his mother, who didn't even know who he was? Ainge probably just wanted to get a better feel for the kid and his family through chatting with his mother. Durant can only control one thing here, which is whether or not he goes pro, a decision that he must make before the lottery takes place. That meeting didn't help the Cs out economically at all. It might have helped Ainge make the decision should the opportunity to draft Durant arise, but that's all, and it's nothing that wouldn't be better accomplished in pre-draft interviews and meetings anyhow.
Real Men Wear Green is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 07:45 PM   #26
PMshooter

Quote:
I think I'd have enjoyed college much more if I had millions of dollars. Actually, to be honest, I wouldn't have gone at all. Ask Kobe Bryant or Tracy McGrady how they feel about "special time." Regardless of your emotional feelings about school and being 18-22 while you're in it, the main reason people go to college is to prepare themselves for their job. I'd say that Kevin Durant is well-prepared to play basketball. And I doubt that Danny Ainge has added any pressure to Kevin Durant by talking to his mother. Ainge has, right now, 0 authority in Durant's life.

Well, either millions of dollars trumps college or it doesn't. Neither of us know what Ainge said for certain, but Durant's parents have plenty to gain from an early pro turn. They're not young, and they didn't look fit. Early retirement would be nice. I hear that once you get into your 40's, the whole work thing gets pretty old.

Here's the thing. Durant turns pro in any of the next 3 years, and he makes millions upon millions of dollars regardless. Assume he plays 15 years in the pros, what difference does it make if he's 34 or 38 when he retires? That's young enough that you still have a whole lot of time ahead of you either way, and either way, he's still made more money than his kids kids could spend.

Quote:
Well, this is a fun thing to consider, isn't it? Let's really look at it. Right now, there is a 38.9% chance that the celtics get one of the top two picks in the draft. Assuming the present lottery order holds steady (likely, but not a given) they will then need one of these two situations to occur to be sure of getting Durant:
1st pick in the draft, with Durant going pro.
2nd Pick in the draft, with Oden and Durant both going pro and the lottery winner taking Oden.
Say Durant is 50/50 on returning (an uneducated guess, I have no idea how he feels about the subject right now), Also give Oden the same odds ('cuz I'm not sure about him either, could be swayed either way by how the Tournament goes) and what are we left with, a 10% chance that Durant can be a Celtic next year? And did Ainge influence Durant in any way at all through his mother, who didn't even know who he was? Ainge probably just wanted to get a better feel for the kid and his family through chatting with his mother. Durant can only control one thing here, which is whether or not he goes pro, a decision that he must make before the lottery takes place. That meeting didn't help the Cs out economically at all. It might have helped Ainge make the decision should the opportunity to draft Durant arise, but that's all, and it's nothing that wouldn't be better accomplished in pre-draft interviews and meetings anyhow.

If Ainge really didn't put a bug in their ear, then yes, it's a huge waste of money. But there's always the long term too, once the rookie contract runs out.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: