Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-15-2007, 11:23 AM   #1
the outsider
Kids at the park dunk on me

the outsider has an OK reputation so far
Default Stars of today compared to legends

This post is to argue how and to whom todays stars compare to legends of the NBA.

Shaq - Bill Russel; i say Bill because the dominance, the championships and the consistency to be a winner.

Tim Duncan - Wilt; I go with wilt because they are both fundamentally sound and dominate their game with their size and presence.

Lebron - Magic Johnson; both have on the court leadership skills and can pass very good for their size.

steve nash - bob cousey; the obvious, shot and passing skill

wade - jordan; because of his ability to go to the hoop, and he has an impressive shot that is improving. If he can win another title with shaq, i think he can gain the confidence to lead his team alone and be one of the all time greats.

josh smith - shawn kemp; blocking and dunking skills

deron williams - john stockton

chris bosh - karl malone

chris paul - the glove

please add to this list
the outsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 11:38 AM   #2
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Stars of today compared to legends

Quote:
Originally Posted by the outsider
This post is to argue how and to whom todays stars compare to legends of the NBA.

Shaq - Bill Russel; i say Bill because the dominance, the championships and the consistency to be a winner.

Tim Duncan - Wilt; I go with wilt because they are both fundamentally sound and dominate their game with their size and presence

I'd actually flip these two, and put Duncan with Russell and Shaq with Wilt, because of the style of play, Shaq dominates like Wilt, while Duncan does everything, and simply wins.

And I'd rather compare Lebron with Dr. J. I know the assists are a big difference with Lebron averaging like 6.5 for his career, however the situation Lebron is in, is te situation Dr. J was put in. They were both expected to become the face of the league, the NBA's spokesman, and ambassador.
Timmy D for MVP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 12:00 PM   #3
Glove_20
The Expert

Glove_20 is considered somewhat coolGlove_20 is considered somewhat coolGlove_20 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:

Tim Duncan - Wilt; I go with wilt because they are both fundamentally sound and dominate their game with their size and presence.

Lebron - Magic Johnson; both have on the court leadership skills and can pass very good for their size.

wade - jordan; because of his ability to go to the hoop, and he has an impressive shot that is improving. If he can win another title with shaq, i think he can gain the confidence to lead his team alone and be one of the all time greats.

chris bosh - karl malone

chris paul - the glove

please add to this list

Um. Are you talking about Today's Shaq vs. Prime Russell? Russell gets that. Same for Wilt. Actually, all the olden stars are better than today's. And I agree with Timmy, it should be Shaq vs. Wilt ,and Duncan vs. Russelll
Glove_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 12:16 PM   #4
Samurai Swoosh
Root Of All Evil

Samurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected posterSamurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected posterSamurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected poster

Your comparisons are HORRIBLE. haha
Samurai Swoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 12:17 PM   #5
Samurai Swoosh
Root Of All Evil

Samurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected posterSamurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected posterSamurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected poster

I mean ... Chris Paul and Gary Payton? That statement alone tells me you never even watched Gary Payton play in his prime.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:19 PM   #6
IBall280
Decent playground baller

IBall280 has an OK reputation so far

you cannot even compare stars of today to legends b/c those legends had to play alot harder than they do today... look at wilt chamberlain man 100 points w/ no 3 point line he did that all in the paint. so never try to compare legends to todays stars.
IBall280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 12:23 PM   #7
Samurai Swoosh
Root Of All Evil

But you also have to put stuff in perspective. Wilt didn't have a 3-point line, but 3-point shots are much more difficult to make, especially with regularity. Little layups and putbacks right next to the hoop aren't NEAR as difficult. Not to mention he was so physically superior to his peers, that it wasn't even really fair. And I believe Wilt scored 100 in OT. In modern times, everyone is on an equal athletic plateu. So no, it isn't true that stars today don't work as hard. That's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. If anything, they'd have to work twice as hard, seeing as how skills is what will seperate you from being just a good athlete.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:33 PM   #8
Loki
Banned

Loki is considered somewhat coolLoki is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai Swoosh
And I believe Wilt scored 100 in OT.

There was no OT that game.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 12:41 PM   #9
Samurai Swoosh
Root Of All Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki
There was no OT that game.
Oh ok. Wasn't sure.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:07 PM   #10
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

dejordan has an OK reputation so far

i'll give this a shot:

dirk - bird : except for larry's superior passing, this is pretty close. both are good rebounders (i'd rank larry a bit higher because he had to defend the perimeter a little more and had fight parish and mchale for bounds, but the difference isn't that big). the most obvious similarity is the shooting form and the ability to hit high degree of difficulty shots consistently. dirk's not as clutch as larry, but almost no one is, and he does have that great consistancy and devotion to team play that makes them both integral to their teams' success.

duncan - ewing : i'm going to get crucified for this one, but hear me out. both of these guys are the chief option on offense and the center piece of the defense. both enjoy a high level of success due to cohesive team play and their ability to anchor both ends of the court. both players gave up stats in order to get the rest of their teammates in position to succeed. duncan got more boards, but he doesn't have oakley next to him to help out in that area. the biggest difference in their games is that pat worked the left block while tim prefers the right, and duncan's superior ability to pass off the dribble going to his right (which makes bowen and barry 10X as good as they would be without him) and his defensive versatility that allows him to match up against 4s as well as 5s. the reason i didn't use robinson or olajuwon as a comparison is because they tended to need to get more stats at both ends for their teams to win, and they are so athletic, they are hard to compare to anyone their size.

tmac - drexler ; tmac gets compared to scottie a lot because he's so lanky, but he always reminded me more of glide. he's got the total game but falls in love with the j. just like clyde. he's most comfortable as a scorer but is also fantastic as a creator for others, just like clyde. he has a post game but prefers to face up. he's going right every time you let him and loves the one dribble pull up to the right. he's a good defender but doesn't always play tough defense. he's willing to carry a team or just fit in depending on circumstances.

this is time-consuming. maybe i'll do a couple more later.
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 02:13 PM   #11
Wuxia
Local High School Star

Wuxia has decent reputation

Quote:

chris bosh - karl malone

chris paul - the glove

please add to this list

Dude, no offense but your comparison sucks...
Wuxia is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: