Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-14-2007, 11:44 AM   #1
indy
Kids at the park dunk on me

indy has an OK reputation so far
Default Larry Legend on Garnett

Quote:
As the book I am working on is on Kevin Garnett and his place in history whether or not he wins a title before he retires, I thought who else but this all-time great to comment on the Big Ticket. Therefore, the question posed to Bird was simple enough.

"What are your thoughts on Kevin Garnett and his place in the history books?"

The answer was surprising... and somewhat confusing.

"There are a lot of competitors in this league. Usually the ones who have had the most success are the top competitors. That's the way it has always been," said Bird. After the comment, he nodded his head to give me the impression of "Yeah, I said it," and walked away.
http://blogs.citypages.com/sports/20..._legend_on.asp
A bit harsh ?
indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 11:47 AM   #2
DreamRockets
National High School Star

DreamRockets has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Larry Legend on Garnett

this is why i've always liked larry legend NO bullshyt and always straight to the point.
DreamRockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 11:50 AM   #3
statman32
NBA Legend

statman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Now, as I look at the quote on paper while thinking back to the exchange with Larry Legend, I realize that his quote can be interpreted one of two ways. Could Bird be simply stating that Kevin Garnett has had a successful career—his career statistics show him to be one of the greatest of all-time himself, he has been an All-Star, an All-Star game MVP and a regular season MVP—therefore, Garnett should be considered as one of those 'top competitors' of which he spoke?

Or is Bird referring to the lack of post-season success of Garnett's Timberwolves and the lack of championship rings on KG's fingers? Is he speaking on Minnesota's below 0.500 record? Could he even be backhandedly commenting on old buddy Kevin McHale?

I think he meant thhe first option. The reporter is just trying to create a buzz for his book and himself.
statman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 11:50 AM   #4
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

A little. Larry Bird generally had much better teams around him than Garnett. But this much, I'll agree with: Garnett is not a great clutch player...I don't know if that means he's not super-competitive, but he doesn't have the signature game-winning moments of most of the all-time greats. Now, I'm not calling him a choker either, just pointing out that he has no history of great play at the end of the game.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 11:50 AM   #5
0ne50
Local High School Star

0ne50 has an OK reputation so far

Kevin Garnett is like that guy in the neighborhood who drives a 2007 Mercedes Benz yet still lives at his moms house.
0ne50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 11:56 AM   #6
shok
Decent playground baller

shok has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
Garnett is not a great clutch player...I don't know if that means he's not super-competitive, but he doesn't have the signature game-winning moments of most of the all-time greats. Now, I'm not calling him a choker either, just pointing out that he has no history of great play at the end of the game.

KG doesn't get much of a chance at those game-winning shots as his team is usually down double-digits at the end of the game
shok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 11:59 AM   #7
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ne50
Kevin Garnett is like that guy in the neighborhood who drives a 2007 Mercedes Benz yet still lives at his moms house.
I have a friend like that. He's a dumbass. I wouldn't compare him to KG. You see, Garnett is blameless as a player. Not in the "he never misses" kind of way (no one is like that) but in the "he always gives a great effort" kind of way. When Minnie loses he's generally the last guy to point the finger at. The problem is that he doesn't have any "Jordan" in him; when he has the ball with 8 seconds on the clock and your team has a 1 point lead, are you scared? Because I'm not. And that's what keeps him from being a top-10 all-time level player.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:00 PM   #8
DreamRockets

Quote:
A little. Larry Bird generally had much better teams around him than Garnett. But this much, I'll agree with: Garnett is not a great clutch player...I don't know if that means he's not super-competitive, but he doesn't have the signature game-winning moments of most of the all-time greats. Now, I'm not calling him a choker either, just pointing out that he has no history of great play at the end of the game.

replace larry with garnett, do they even win 1 ? against magic's lakers, isiah's pistons and moses sixers ? hakeem/sampson rockets ? larry having better teams is canceled by the fact that he played legendary comp.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:00 PM   #9
0ne50
Local High School Star

0ne50 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
It is what it is. He's an NBA competitor but not a top competitor. Kobe, Shaq, TD are top competitors. The compete all around the board. Not just in the box scores.

IMO Garnett's attitudee is "I got this money and I'ma play my butt off for it" and what ever happens with the team, happens. Could have been a lot more competitive with the front office and demanded the players he wants to play with and the coach he wants to play for.

That excuse about his teammates never being so good expired a long time ago.
0ne50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 12:01 PM   #10
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shok
KG doesn't get much of a chance at those game-winning shots as his team is usually down double-digits at the end of the game
Not true. Over his career, Garnett has been involved in more wins than losses.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:11 PM   #11
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Quote:
It is what it is. He's an NBA competitor but not a top competitor. Kobe, Shaq, TD are top competitors. The compete all around the board. Not just in the box scores.
This is the kind of critique that I just can't find valid. What, do you think that Garnett chooses to get a triple-double instead of a win? How could he even do that? Does he stand under the basket and think, "if I grab this rebound we'll lose the game, but I'll have my 20th straight double, so who cares?"
Quote:
IMO Garnett's attitudee is "I got this money and I'ma play my butt off for it" and what ever happens with the team, happens. Could have been a lot more competitive with the front office and demanded the players he wants to play with and the coach he wants to play for.
This is also unreasonable. He has said that he wants certain players. He has publicly criticized Minnie for not doing anything around the trade deadline this season. Beyond that, what can he do? He can "demand" whatever he wants, he's still just a player, an employee. He does not get to make trades.
Quote:
That excuse about his teammates never being so good expired a long time ago.
No it didn't, lots of people talk about it, and it's true. Take Bird; he played with McHale, Parrish, DJ (R.I.P.), Walton, Ainge...these guys are All-Stars and Hall of Famers. When has Garnett ever been around teammates even half as good?
Old 03-14-2007, 12:17 PM   #12
DreamRockets

Quote:
Take Bird; he played with McHale, Parrish, DJ (R.I.P.), Walton, Ainge...these guys are All-Stars and Hall of Famers. When has Garnett ever been around teammates even half as good?

so if garnett replaces larry he leads boston to 5 nba finals and 3 championships in the toughest era of nba history ?

the competition larry faced should already remove the excuses about his teammates.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:17 PM   #13
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

dejordan has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
The problem is that he doesn't have any "Jordan" in him; when he has the ball with 8 seconds on the clock and your team has a 1 point lead, are you scared? Because I'm not. And that's what keeps him from being a top-10 all-time level player.
i've always thought he and jordan would complement each other perfectly. kg's like a combination of grant and kukoc with slightly less range. jordan is the 1st option / game closer than garnett needs to go over the top. both bring it hard every night at both ends and are hyper-competitive.
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 12:22 PM   #14
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamRockets
so if garnett replaces larry he leads boston to 5 nba finals and 3 championships in the toughest era of nba history ?

the competition larry faced should already remove the excuses about his teammates.
I would not say that Garnett is on par with Bird (in this thread I've stated that he's not on the level of the all-time top 10). However, I do think that they'd get to the Finals a few times and just may win the Championship once or twice. That was a great supporting cast. A lot of people believe that McHale was the greatest PF ever.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:25 PM   #15
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamRockets

Can you give a logical reason why KG could not effectively replace Larry on those teams?
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: