Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
    Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

Default Re: where does Kevin Garnett rank in the best players of all time/PF list?

I Take Prime and Healthy Sir Charles Over Any Other PF By Miles!

National High School Star

Default Re: where does Kevin Garnett rank in the best players of all time/PF list?

Top 3.

1. Duncan
    2. Barkley
    3. KG
    4. Malone
    5. Dirk

Top 20 player

1. MJ
    2. Wilt
    3. Kareem
    4. Magic
    5. Russell
    6. Bird
    7. Shaq
    8. LeBron
    9. Kobe
    10. Duncan
    11. Hakeem
    12. Moses
    13. West
    14. Oscar
    15. Erving
    16. Baylor
    17. Barkley
    18. Admiral
    19. Thomas
    20. KG

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease Audio One's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by $LakerGold
    Barkley Top 5.

I've always said that KG was far better than Timmy D, but Duncan's longevity seals the deal, TOP 1 IMO. Peak-wise? I'd still take KG, though, no one was just ever like him, athleticism-wise.

1. Tim Duncan
    2. KG
    3. Dirk
    4. Malone
    5. Charles

I'd like to think that KG still has it if he just digs in & not worry about his injury, but it'll never happen. Such a rare breed of individuals, the peak 2000's players, really.

I ranked Dirk at #3 over them 2 just because of his 1 ring, & the level of skillset he has. With that skillset, who knew he would have lasted this long? & get a win over the Heat. Just WOW. So, I'd like to think that Dirk is top 3.

Dirk defeated his Jordan, Malone didn't.
    Chauncey Billups was the Finals MVP of a no-HOF cast, that took out the Jordan AND CHAMBERLAIN of his era

Therefore, Billups > Stockton

Quote Originally Posted by Round Mound
    I Take Prime and Healthy Sir Charles Over Any Other PF By Miles!

We know, Round Mound. We know.

Home of the 16

Quote Originally Posted by Audio One
    Chauncey Billups was the Finals MVP of a no-HOF cast, that took out the Jordan AND CHAMBERLAIN of his era

Therefore, Billups > Stockton
    Sarcasm?

1. Duncan
    2. KG
    3. Malone
    4. Barkley
    5. Pettit/Dirk

Top15.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    I'll get flamed for this, but I have him as 1a/1b with Duncan, because of his versatility on defense. If I need scoring though, I'd take Timmy's D (which isn't far off), since he's one of the few bigs through whom you can run your offense in the postseason on championship contending rosters. Either way, KG's a top 2 PF.
    Pretty funny to me that nearly everyone points to this post as how they feel, yet you thought you'd get flamed.

Anyway, I agree with the Duncan/KG argument. I've long held the belief that Duncan is only considered "better" because of situation; Garnett is the superior player, while Duncan's had the superior career.

As for the PFs after those two, I'm not sure about the order, but...
    Barkley is above Malone.
    I don't understand the Dirk love, relative to other all-time greats anyway. Malone and Dirk are basically tied for me, and only because Dirk won a title as "the man".
    Pettit, Lucas, McHale, and other older, great players I have no clue how to rank them.

Edit: Oh, and as for all time... I don't do a numerical ranking, but rather tiers, and both KG and Duncan are in the second tier (basically 8-13 range).

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by kshutts1
    Pretty funny to me that nearly everyone points to this post as how they feel, yet you thought you'd get flamed.

Anyway, I agree with the Duncan/KG argument. I've long held the belief that Duncan is only considered "better" because of situation; Garnett is the superior player, while Duncan's had the superior career.

As for the PFs after those two, I'm not sure about the order, but...
    Barkley is above Malone.
    I don't understand the Dirk love, relative to other all-time greats anyway. Malone and Dirk are basically tied for me, and only because Dirk won a title as "the man".
    Pettit, Lucas, McHale, and other older, great players I have no clue how to rank them.

Edit: Oh, and as for all time... I don't do a numerical ranking, but rather tiers, and both KG and Duncan are in the second tier (basically 8-13 range).
    Garnett's lack of an A plus post game and inability to draw fouls cannot project him past Duncan. Plus someone of his athletic ability should have been a better shot blocker.

First Kobe fan on ISH JohnFreeman's Avatar

I would put McHale above him

I'm gonna be lazy and just leave it like this

1) Duncan

2a) Barkley
    2b) Dirk
    2c) Garnett
    2d) Malone

Quote Originally Posted by longhornfan1234
    Top 3.

1. Duncan
    2. Barkley
    3. KG
    4. Malone
    5. Dirk

Top 20 player

1. MJ
    2. Wilt
    3. Kareem
    4. Magic
    5. Russell
    6. Bird
    7. Shaq
    8. LeBron
    9. Kobe
    10. Duncan
    11. Hakeem
    12. Moses
    13. West
    14. Oscar
    15. Erving
    16. Baylor
    17. Barkley
    18. Admiral
    19. Thomas
    20. KG
    How is Garnett top 20 or top 15 according to most people, but players like Dirk and Wade aren't?

Betwen all the basketball forums Im a member of, the only consensus that is consistently reached is that Duncan is the clear number 1. People have vastly different opinions and perceptions of Barkley, Garnett, Dirk and Malone. I've seen legitimate arguments for each of them

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by westsideozzie
    Garnett's lack of an A plus post game and inability to draw fouls cannot project him past Duncan. Plus someone of his athletic ability should have been a better shot blocker.
    In his prime years, KG was shooting the ball 18-19 times a game at 50%, and getting to the line 6 times a game, where he shot maybe 77%?
    In contrast, Duncan's "A plus post game" got him roughly.... wait for it... 17-18 shots a game at 51%, and put him to the line 7-8 times a game at 65-70%. Hmm.

So maybe Duncan's post game allowed him to better pass out of double teams, thus helping his teammates hit open shots?
    KG's lead in assists, 5 to 3, says otherwise.

Shot blocking for KG may be a touch low.. but when you're arguably the greatest PnR defensive big man ever... am I really going to nitpick getting 1.5 blocks instead of 2 or 2.5? No, no I won't.

First Kobe fan on ISH JohnFreeman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    How is Garnett top 20 or top 15 according to most people, but players like Dirk and Wade aren't?
    Yeah doesn't make sense.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    My quick answer?
    Wade's prime, where he was the devastating player that we all love, was relatively short... maybe 6 years?
    Dirk was a poor defender until more recently, a phenomenal offensive player, but a subpar defensive player.

...and not that my opinion counts for much, but I do have Wade and Dirk in my third tier, which is essentially 14-20.