Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 04-04-2014, 12:22 AM   #136
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

DKLaker has not been impressing people
Default Re: ☆ Lakers Open Court ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by $LakerGold

I'm pretty sure you'll understand that DK, I'm pretty sure you had your moments even if when George Mikan retired. jk

Almost as bad.....I cried when Elgin Baylor retired.
Was highly upset when Wilt and West retired too.......seems like yesterday
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:17 AM   #137
$LakerGold
#TeamMir #TeamRousey

$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers91
I
Nostalgia indeed, grew up as a kid watching those players it is saddening to see them retiring or preparing to about to retire but unfortunately time goes on, one thing our bodies can't defy is time (assuming you believe it's not an illusion )

Yea

Imagine that there will be a time where none of them plays anymore. I'll consider '03 draft class to be the last of the last, or maybe '06. But I'd like to think that '03 is the last. lol

Last edited by $LakerGold : 04-06-2014 at 05:23 AM.
$LakerGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:21 AM   #138
$LakerGold
#TeamMir #TeamRousey

$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

How many years do you guys think until teams starts to pass on Brandon Jennings? He was doing great in his rookie season, don't know what happened after that. I read that he's shooting horribly from the field.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:24 AM   #139
$LakerGold
#TeamMir #TeamRousey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker

Almost as bad.....I cried when Elgin Baylor retired.
Was highly upset when Wilt and West retired too.......seems like yesterday
Stop trying to act like you're not that old. Just admit that you cried when players from the ABA alone, retired (Including benchwarmers).
Old 04-06-2014, 06:00 AM   #140
Lakers91
Decent playground baller

Lakers91 has decent reputationLakers91 has decent reputation

Quote:
How many years do you guys think until teams starts to pass on Brandon Jennings? He was doing great in his rookie season, don't know what happened after that. I read that he's shooting horribly from the field.

Pass do you mean as in he is out of the league? I think teams already realise what he is he's still young so who knows but he's never had that high of a basketball IQ and has always been a shoot first shoot second and third point guard (he's averaging 7 assists so that's a victory in itself ), he had a good rookie season but he's certainly limited with his mentality/style, he's shooting 37% odd from the field, then there are games where you think he could be a good point guard but he certainly needs a coach and experienced players to pull him into line basically, they need an experienced hard coach similar problems to Smith both don't take smart shots Smith at least throughout his career hasn't drove the lane and finished near enough instead looked to shoot 3's or mid range jumpers he's got a 3's body but his strength is playing like a 4 which is finishing strong at the rim (needs an unselfish point guard to help him do that I suppose), that's partly why I was surprised because they both have a lot of talent but both are limited by their own low basketball IQ/decisions.
Lakers91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:26 AM   #141
$LakerGold
#TeamMir #TeamRousey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers91
Pass do you mean as in he is out of the league? I think teams already realise what he is he's still young so who knows but he's never had that high of a basketball IQ and has always been a shoot first shoot second and third point guard (he's averaging 7 assists so that's a victory in itself ), he had a good rookie season but he's certainly limited with his mentality/style, he's shooting 37% odd from the field, then there are games where you think he could be a good point guard but he certainly needs a coach and experienced players to pull him into line basically, they need an experienced hard coach similar problems to Smith both don't take smart shots Smith at least throughout his career hasn't drove the lane and finished near enough instead looked to shoot 3's or mid range jumpers he's got a 3's body but his strength is playing like a 4 which is finishing strong at the rim (needs an unselfish point guard to help him do that I suppose), that's partly why I was surprised because they both have a lot of talent but both are limited by their own low basketball IQ/decisions.

I really had high hopes for him.

I was happy when they signed Chauncey & I thought it would help at least elevate or balance out Jennings's game, but it seems like he's not really making a huge impact on him, IMO. I've only seen once or twice of their game this season so I'm only basing it from that.

& with Rasheed on board, you'd think Josh Smith would get it together too. But Chauncey & Rasheed aren't the problem.

Imagine if they incorporate Rasheed's post game to J. Smith. As for Josh Smith, I think they just have to give him some time & constantly work with Rasheed on the post & mid-range game. He can be a solid stretch 4 & a 3rd option for a contending team in a couple of years.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:53 AM   #142
Lakers91
Decent playground baller

Quote:
I really had high hopes for him.

I was happy when they signed Chauncey & I thought it would help at least elevate or balance out Jennings's game, but it seems like he's not really making a huge impact on him, IMO. I've only seen once or twice of their game this season so I'm only basing it from that.

& with Rasheed on board, you'd think Josh Smith would get it together too. But Chauncey & Rasheed aren't the problem.

Imagine if they incorporate Rasheed's post game to J. Smith. As for Josh Smith, I think they just have to give him some time & constantly work with Rasheed on the post & mid-range game. He can be a solid stretch 4 & a 3rd option for a contending team in a couple of years.

I thought it was a reasonably good move, I think time is running out for both, Jennings has more time on his side because he actually still is young he's about 24 or 25 to memory, he needs discipline; on court leadership and a hard tough coachh that will bark orders to him if he does the wrong thing after a terrible shot, none have really had at least to me look like they've had a coach who has shown much discipline/had a system that didn't allow for that or utilised strengths either. Smith however is running out of time to change his game or realise his potential he is not the young athletic stud he once was anymore he is still a freak athlete at times but he is 29 at the end of this year, it's not retirement age but it's at the age where you wonder has he reached what he's going to be, he has far more potential than 16 points per game on 42% for crying out loud. They have a lot of talent on paper but that's it, they have pieces that don't really go together, Smith doesn't have the game in my opinion to be a 3 he's not polished enough offensively but more so doesn't play to his strength of finishing at the rim if I was Detroit I'd want either Avery Johnson or Lionel Hollins, Hollins particularly for what the team needs which is stern leadership and discipline and a coach that Smith needs if he's to reach his potential but I rate Avery as well and I hope Detroit hires one of those two if they pick the right coach it could make the world of difference to a number of players on that team that need discipline and a lot of it from a head coach.

Detroit need more floor spacing assuming they are committed to keeping Smith and they need a legitimate 3 they either have to get rid of Monroe or Smith, Monroe has more upside but Smith probably you could say might be a better duo with Drummond because of his defense but Drummond in my opinion will become good enough defensively where it's not that big of a deal Monroe isn't a great defender, you could argue Monroe is a center and it will be difficult to fit both Drummond Monroe in an offense anyway, I think they will trade one come end of the year for a legitimate small forward (who knows maybe an option is Houston for Smith, long time friendship with Dwight but also Detroit needs a legitimate 3 Houston will have a tough decision with Parsons contract coming up where he could hit unrestricted free agency making only 900,000 or something I believe Detroit may try and trade for him I don't know if they would but that just popped into my head as a possibility though). To your original question I think teams all already know what Jennings is like but I'm not sure when they will give up on him maybe when he gets to the age of 26-27 type age, what made you ask that question out of curiosity?
Old 04-07-2014, 08:33 PM   #143
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I think Detroit will make a trade to but it might not necessarily be for a SF. It really depends on how the draft ends up. Their pick this year is top 8 protected. So if they end up with the #9 pick it goes to Charlotte. If not I could see them drafting someone like Rodney Hood or Doug McDermott. Of course they could draft Gary Harris too and then they would still need a SF.

Right now I think they will match any deal for Monroe. Then either this summer or before the deadline next season they'll end up trading either Monroe or Smith.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:07 AM   #144
Lakers91
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
I think Detroit will make a trade to but it might not necessarily be for a SF. It really depends on how the draft ends up. Their pick this year is top 8 protected. So if they end up with the #9 pick it goes to Charlotte. If not I could see them drafting someone like Rodney Hood or Doug McDermott. Of course they could draft Gary Harris too and then they would still need a SF.

Right now I think they will match any deal for Monroe. Then either this summer or before the deadline next season they'll end up trading either Monroe or Smith.

I don't think they will rush trading either (unless they can get another high draft pick for either) but I don't see them trading either until they know exactly who they will be drafting, if they get either of Hood or McDermott then they'd surely be looking to trade for a shooting guard or someone for floor spacing (tipping Gordon to be up for grabs by New Orleans at the end of this year or before the trade deadline next year so they might try and work out something with Smith at PF and Davis at C for them could work and allows Tyreke to start at shooting guard and share ball handling as he's more of a point guard with the need to drive and attack).

Unless they want to have the same problems (unless they can magically get a coach that can get Smith to play like a 3 but more so to his strengths) while having a very big front court then they need to make a decision on who to keep/I think it's obvious they have to trade off one, I doubt they will just let Monroe walk however, at least trade him at a discounted rate or re-sign him and trade given a number of teams would be interested, no teams particularly want to just let players walk anymore at least young players like Monroe I doubt, if I had the choice I'd trade away Smith but I don't think just a year or two after they'd trade Smith so that leaves them getting rid of Monroe. There are a number of deals I could imagine that could be made or that Detroit and other teams could be interested in making a deal I for one will find it rather interesting what they do decide to try.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:03 AM   #145
$LakerGold
#TeamMir #TeamRousey

Exclamation Teams you're rooting for in the Playoffs?

---OP from a new thread---

Yeah, yeah -- we're Laker fans. But are there any other teams that you guys are going to root for?

For old time sake - I'm gonna go with the Spurs & OKC. But if they both face each other in the WCF, I'm going for the Spurs. All that hate I had for them for breaking my heart when I was a kid turned into LOVE (nostalgia). :) #2000era

Last edited by $LakerGold : 04-16-2014 at 12:06 AM.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:06 AM   #146
$LakerGold
#TeamMir #TeamRousey

Default Re: Teams you're rooting for in the Playoffs?

DKLaker finally able to sleep peacefully at night when he read a couple of articles saying that 'the Lakers will try to part ways with MDA by the end of the season -- peacefully'.

Hahaha. Happy now?
Old 04-16-2014, 12:15 AM   #147
$LakerGold
#TeamMir #TeamRousey

Exclamation ☆2014 NBA Team Playoffs/Draft Rep Avatars

2014 NBA DRAFT, BABY!!! Feel free to rep, guys. I'll rep after the Spurs gets eliminated or win it. Enjoy it!!! #Lakers4Life

Playoffs/Draft Avy's:

Last edited by $LakerGold : 04-16-2014 at 12:17 AM.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:24 AM   #148
Lakers91
Decent playground baller

Quote:
DKLaker finally able to sleep peacefully at night when he read a couple of articles saying that 'the Lakers will try to part ways with MDA by the end of the season -- peacefully'.

Hahaha. Happy now?

I don't think he'll be resting easily until the new coach is named and if it's a good choice haha, albeit D'Antoni could well be off to coach a lower level college team or to a lower team in the Euroleague, college coaching could probably suit him run all the run and gun offensive plays he wants and try to outscore the opponent without worrying as much about defense just simply outscoring and kind of outlasting , a revolutionary coach the NBA would be boring with no run and gun or some small ball but years on not that revolutionary anymore time simply moves on. I assume the above is similar to what happened with the Knicks have him 'peacefully' resign so they don't have to fire him (I assume if he resigns they don't have to pay out the last year of his contract but will if they fire and terminate his contract when he's unwilling to resign), I doubt any NBA team particularly would want him to coach but do NBA teams have non compete clauses for coaches to coach another team if he was offered if he resigns would he be allowed to? I assume NBA teams don't usually worry about non compete clauses if they have them they would waive them I'd assume? DK in particular I assume may know do NBA teams usually have non compete clauses for head coaches?
Old 04-16-2014, 11:08 AM   #149
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

tamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

Hahaha. Happy now?

DK is very picky tho. He said Brown is the worst, then MDA, he already said hell "NO!" on Rambis. so....
But I see his point tho, we CAN'T SETTLE. With the 2 Billion tv contract, bring in the BEST coach available and pay up. NO more experimenting stuff like bringing in a college coach bec he "might" do wonders. Another showtime coach who had ONE successful stint with ONE team etc.
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:38 PM   #150
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaraw08
DK is very picky tho. He said Brown is the worst, then MDA, he already said hell "NO!" on Rambis. so....
But I see his point tho, we CAN'T SETTLE. With the 2 Billion tv contract, bring in the BEST coach available and pay up. NO more experimenting stuff like bringing in a college coach bec he "might" do wonders. Another showtime coach who had ONE successful stint with ONE team etc.

Brown and 'Antoni were terrible choices though. Most everybody thought it when the announcements were made. It's not like Brown has went on to have great success this season. He's just not a top tier coach. It was a dumb choice and that reflects management. The Lakers definitely can't settle. I disagree about a college coach not being able to get it done though. There's not a lot of good names available that are just NBA head coaches. At this point I'm even against bringing in someone like Adelman, who was a popular choice. I think he hasn't done a good job in Minnesota. The other thing I don't like about him is he's an old school guy who won't play and develop the younger players. The Lakers have a lottery pick this year. Heck, it could end up being the top pick in the draft. I'm totally against bringing in someone who won't develop this potential player.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: