Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-06-2012, 08:00 PM   #1
konex
3-time NBA All-Star

konex has an OK reputation so far
Default Introducing a new NBA statistic: The Kobe Assist

I think this guy is full of it but it's an interesting read nonetheless. I respect the research put into it

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...ic-kobe-assist

Quote:
However, while Nash was busy playmaking and while Kobe was busy jump shooting, Dwight Howard had taken about seven steps toward his happy place the restricted area fought off the gigantic DeMarcus Cousins, and gained optimal rebounding position. Kobe's miss ricocheted upward from the rim before descending back down into the hands of Howard, who quickly put the ball in the basket; the Staples crowd went wild (in the dark). Did Kobe just miss a shot or did he just inadvertently set up Dwight Howard for an easy score? Are some of Kobe's missed shots actually good for the Lakers? Are some of his misses kind of like assists?
konex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
Mr. Jabbar
Xmas MVP

Mr. Jabbar has a near all-star reputation hereMr. Jabbar has a near all-star reputation hereMr. Jabbar has a near all-star reputation hereMr. Jabbar has a near all-star reputation hereMr. Jabbar has a near all-star reputation hereMr. Jabbar has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: Introducing a new NBA statistic: The Kobe Assist

Wouldn't surprise me if kobe missed on pourpose for the best interest of the team, it also explains a few oddly missed buckets by him.
Mr. Jabbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:06 PM   #3
kNIOKAS
Medium Rare

kNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Kobe Assist: the ball that slipped out of his hands

kNIOKAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:08 PM   #4
b0bab0i
National High School Star

b0bab0i is a pretty well-respected posterb0bab0i is a pretty well-respected posterb0bab0i is a pretty well-respected poster

b0bab0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:23 PM   #5
Bodhi
Local High School Star

Bodhi has an OK reputation so far

I remember JVG mentioning this point a bunch of times in 2009 but it's nice to see someone measure it
Bodhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:26 PM   #6
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

IGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhi
I remember JVG mentioning this point a bunch of times in 2009 but it's nice to see someone measure it

Hubie brown used to say the same thing back during the three peat.
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:26 PM   #7
Nick Young
WE THE PEOPLE

Nick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this boardNick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this boardNick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this boardNick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this boardNick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this boardNick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this boardNick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this boardNick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jabbar
Wouldn't surprise me if kobe missed on pourpose for the best interest of the team, it also explains a few oddly missed buckets by him.
The only player in the NBA who misses on purpose
Mamba sacrificing his own stats for the good of the team
Nick Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:27 PM   #8
tmacattack33
NBA rookie of the year

tmacattack33 has no real reputation yet.

Iverson woulda had more of these. And then there's Steve Francis and Marbury and Pistons Jerry Stackhouse...basically, all the chuckers.

But get this, Chris Paul, Wade, and Lebron and all the efficient players not only make their shots at a higher rate, but they would also have a significant amount of these assists. Amazing.

Last edited by tmacattack33 : 12-06-2012 at 09:29 PM.
tmacattack33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:28 PM   #9
Kobe 4 The Win
Chasing Legends

Kobe 4 The Win is a pretty well-respected posterKobe 4 The Win is a pretty well-respected posterKobe 4 The Win is a pretty well-respected poster

I'm going to use this when people talk shit about Kobe's fg%. Virtually all of Kobe's missed shots were missed on purpose to set up his teammates. He could make them all but he sacrifices for the team. Kobe is that unselfish.

Kobe 4 The Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #10
Nick Young
WE THE PEOPLE

Nick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this boardNick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this boardNick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this boardNick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this boardNick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this boardNick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this boardNick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this boardNick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe 4 The Win
I'm going to use this when people talk shit about Kobe's fg%. Virtually all of Kobe's missed shots were missed on purpose to set up his teammates. He could make them all but he sacrifices for the team. Kobe is that unselfish.

da gawd walks among us. we are all truly blessed children.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:50 PM   #11
TheBigVeto
Negging Me Is Gay

TheBigVeto has a bad reputationTheBigVeto has a bad reputationTheBigVeto has a bad reputationTheBigVeto has a bad reputation

So in Kobe's world:
- missed shots = assists
- throwing teammates under the bus = motivating teammates
- rape = consensual sex

Ok.
TheBigVeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:51 PM   #12
funnystuff
Say wot m8

funnystuff has decent reputationfunnystuff has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Young
The only player in the NBA who misses on purpose
Mamba sacrificing his own stats for the good of the team
Ohhhh, so that explains his career FG%.
funnystuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:02 PM   #13
SCdac
NBA sixth man of the year

SCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputation

lol Kobe assist ... of course, it would be from a missed shot

SCdac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:19 PM   #14
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

bdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Who shot the ball before Horry made that game winner against the Kings in 2002? Kobe assist?
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:20 PM   #15
Nick Young
WE THE PEOPLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreason
Who shot the ball before Horry made that game winner against the Kings in 2002? Kobe assist?
The Dark Mamba Legacy Rises
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: