Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 10-15-2013, 12:26 AM   #1
CavaliersFTW
5-time NBA All-Star

CavaliersFTW is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCavaliersFTW is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCavaliersFTW is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCavaliersFTW is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCavaliersFTW is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCavaliersFTW is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCavaliersFTW is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCavaliersFTW is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCavaliersFTW is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCavaliersFTW is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCavaliersFTW is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Nearly all GSL 8mm stock b/w footage:

From the "Greatest Sports Legends" Dvd's nearly all the 8mm b/w stock footage from the early 60's players showcased within the documentary is either precisely 20% slower than real-time, or precisely 4% slower than real-time. In fact I can only reasonably conclude that all of it is either played back at 4% or 20% slower than real time (I can not prove this however, because a shot clock is only visible in a little over half the clips... but all the clips appear come from the same central stock recorded and played back with the same equipment... so it should all be the same). I've figured this out by analyzing all the clips with shot clocks which are visible in the Elgin Baylor and Bob Pettit player mixes I worked on or am currently working on (about half of all the clips have a shot clock visible). I believe that early 60's b/w footage like this which is/was used as stock in many of the mixes and documentaries of the past 5-10 years, as well as the later 60's to early 70's use of true slow-motion photography are the combined reasons why people who never saw those athletes play have come to believe those players were 'slow'. Bob Pettit looks remarkably quick and agile with adjusted footage. And inversely, looks remarkably slow with unadjusted footage.

BTW, I'd be more than happy to upload a screen capture video that demonstrates this if anyone understandably won't just take my word for it. 20% speed difference is enough that an untrained eye (especially with a bias or tendency to believe the 1950's and 60's were played by sluggish athletes) could be fooled into thinking it is normal playback speed and that the athletes are just 'slow'. Only someone analyzing the physics of the ball might suspect otherwise. And only someone with the software to analyze the footage frame by frame could come up with the precise percentage that the playback speed needs adjusted too to be corrected.

Inb4 'STOP SPEEDING UP FOOTAGE'!

Last edited by CavaliersFTW : 10-15-2013 at 12:29 AM.
CavaliersFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:27 AM   #2
#number6ix#
LETS GO HEAT!!!!!!!!!!

#number6ix# is a pretty well-respected poster#number6ix# is a pretty well-respected poster#number6ix# is a pretty well-respected poster#number6ix# is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Nearly all GSL 8mm stock b/w footage:

YEEEEESSSSS Just what I've been waiting on
#number6ix# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:41 AM   #3
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

As someone with hundreds of hours of footage I assure you...its almost all slowed down in old clips. Slow motion and just....baaaaaarely slowed down play that appears to be live speed is almost all there is of that time. I never thought to speed it up to show them at full speed. I just assumed people could tell what it was and why.
Kblaze8855 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:07 AM   #4
CavaliersFTW
5-time NBA All-Star

CavaliersFTW is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCavaliersFTW is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCavaliersFTW is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCavaliersFTW is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCavaliersFTW is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCavaliersFTW is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCavaliersFTW is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCavaliersFTW is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCavaliersFTW is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCavaliersFTW is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCavaliersFTW is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Here's a small sequence of Bob Pettit clips that demonstrate this.

http://youtu.be/yb2lpbHuCtQ

Notice how to any untrained eye that has been told 50's and 60's players were 'slow' the unaltered footage would almost certainly be interpreted as 'slow athletes' rather than slow footage. Adjusting by using the shot clock however, reveals that the athletes move like.. well... perfectly capable athletes should. Now, imagine the effect this has had on people who for the past 40 years have only ever seen footage like this at an unaltered speed. People have literally grown up never seeing most of the players from that era playing the game at game speed.

Last edited by CavaliersFTW : 10-15-2013 at 01:11 AM.
CavaliersFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: