Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-03-2013, 01:38 AM   #1
MavsSuperFan
NBA sixth man of the year

Default Top 25 deadliest dictators

http://list25.com/25-of-historys-deadliest-dictators/
Do you agree with this list?

Totally left out Genghis Khan and Napoleon and overrated Mao. He is top 5 but not the GOAT.

Hitler is the GOAT of dictators.
MavsSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:41 AM   #2
CeltsGarlic
Gesaffelstain Fan

Default Re: Top 25 deadliest dictators

obama nr1
CeltsGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:04 AM   #3
HarryCallahan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
http://list25.com/25-of-historys-deadliest-dictators/
Do you agree with this list?

Totally left out Genghis Khan and Napoleon and overrated Mao. He is top 5 but not the GOAT.

Hitler is the GOAT of dictators.

Nah mayne. Mao's the GOAT because he got the highest kill total, then Stalin, then Hitler.
HarryCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:10 AM   #4
BasedTom
Dream Reality

Hitler is not the GOAT. The reason he is so vilified is because it's easier to sell his crimes to the general public than it is to have movies about what Mao, Stalin, or [insert African general here] ever did. At least in America.

Also that list has errors. Kaiser Wilhem II doesn't deserve to be in this conversation. Yes, he was an inept ruler who made a lot of mistakes, but he was not as blatantly bloodthirsty as the others on that list.

Where is Julius Caesar? He is where the terms Kaiser and Tsar even come from.

I also find the whole Armenian genocide thing...questionable. And it's quite surprising to me that there's no Latin American dicators on the list.

Last edited by BasedTom : 09-03-2013 at 02:18 AM.
BasedTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:11 AM   #5
miller-time

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryCallahan
Nah mayne. Mao's the GOAT because he got the highest kill total, then Stalin, then Hitler.

I don't know much about Mao, but Stalin is definitely ahead of Hitler. Stalin was a maniac. He would ask for thousands of people to be killed at random. Not enemies or political opponents. Just random people. I remember hearing about when the Soviets entered Poland how they were confused when the Poles were trying to save their loved ones by pleading their innocence to them. They were confused because they knew they weren't being killed for any reason and therefore pleading was pointless.
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:13 AM   #6
Bucket_Nakedz
Buckle up

leopold is at the top for me. then mao, stalin and hitler
Bucket_Nakedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:15 AM   #7
zoom17
Banned

There is more worse dictators than Hitler he is just the most famous.
zoom17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:16 AM   #8
HarryCallahan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller-time
I don't know much about Mao, but Stalin is definitely ahead of Hitler. Stalin was a maniac. He would ask for thousands of people to be killed at random. Not enemies or political opponents. Just random people. I remember hearing about when the Soviets entered Poland how they were confused when the Poles were trying to save their loved ones by pleading their innocence to them. They were confused because they knew they weren't being killed for any reason and therefore pleading was pointless.

Then there's the Holodomor, which is much worse than the Holocaust: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor
HarryCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:18 AM   #9
miller-time

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom17
There is more worse dictators than Hitler he is just the most famous.

I think Hitler, the Nazis and the Allies offer an easy to follow good guy bad guy story to follow. Everything from the uniforms and their plans of world domination is textbook.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:21 AM   #10
BasedTom
Dream Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller-time
I think Hitler, the Nazis and the Allies offer an easy to follow good guy bad guy story to follow. Everything from the uniforms and their plans of world domination is textbook.
I don't think the Soviets were exactly "good guys" either.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:26 AM   #11
MavsSuperFan

Hitler has gotten so underrated he is like Kobe on ISH. People be acting like he was a mid level dictator

The guy came as close to anyone in history of almost taking over the world. (except Genghis Khan and maybe Napoleon)

17 million people killed, in brutal fashion. Jewish people, slavic people, romani people, the handicapped, homosexuals, etc, were all his targets.

Had he not existed and people made a comic book character based on his life, we would all find it too unrealistic.
MavsSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:27 AM   #12
miller-time

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasedTom
I don't think the Soviets were exactly "good guys" either.

Yeah but they're relation to the Allies during the war is a bit muddy, we were fighting the same enemy.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:33 AM   #13
LJJ
Extra Cheese

Quote:
The guy came as close to anyone in history of almost taking over the world. (except Genghis Khan and maybe Napoleon)

Hitler's intention wasn't to take over the world, he wanted to create a large, Germanic state.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:37 AM   #14
BasedTom
Dream Reality

Quote:
Hitler has gotten so underrated he is like Kobe on ISH. People be acting like he was a mid level dictator

17 million people killed, in brutal fashion. Jewish people, slavic people, romani people, the handicapped, homosexuals, etc, were all his targets.
The only impressive thing about his whole situation is that he was born a common man and was an art school reject. Many of the other "accomplishments" have more to due with outside factors. His killcount? A product of improved technology. And you said it, many of his targets had no way to defend themselves.

With that map...How long did the Third Reich and its ideals last? Fascism died, and most of his visions of displacing the Slavs for more lebensraum completely backfired. Many traditional German lands like Königsberg, and Danzig are now in the hands of other countries, and with very little chance of ever being reclaimed.

I suppose Hitler is like Kobe though. Worshiped by a few obsessed madmen and revisionists who view him as a God and not a mere mortal with the good fortune to be surrounded by excellent teammates and an efficient organization around him.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:13 AM   #15
LJJ
Extra Cheese

I have to agree with the OP that Mao is a bit overrated in this context. The vast majority of Mao's death toll comes as a result of the great leap forward. Which was a shocking display of incompetence, ignorance and heartlessness by the Chinese regime that caused a catastrophic famine. Incompetence being the key word here though, and not maliciousness. The famine was almost certainly preventable to a significant extent, but it was not intentional killing.

That's a bit different than a Hitler, who's death toll is the direct result of trying to ethnically cleanse Europe and attempting to enslave a huge part of the world. Or Stalin's more deliberate reign of terror and ethnic cleansing.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: