Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 05-01-2009, 12:02 PM   #1
Automajic23
Playground Legend

Automajic23 is considered somewhat coolAutomajic23 is considered somewhat cool
Default pickup/league play Weekly brag (post yours here!)

weekly brag #1:

So after the mens team @ drexel finished practice we played on center court with some of the better ballers in our gym. Of course I get the pleasure of checking and getting checked by this cocky/good dude on the freshman squad (I believe he's a guard because he's about my height sleightly taller with good court vision and IQ). So pretty much all game I'm scoring off the ball and crashing boards cuz I was 75% I wasn't beating my guy off the dribble (quicker hands, his D footwork > my O footwork).
Games to 12 all 1s win by 2. We're up 11-7 they start playing hard D and we're up 11-10 with ball. Masterful play I call get the best mismatch on my team to penetrate, my man helps weakside and I sink gamewinner from right inside the 3 on the angle.

Just thought this was sweet cuz the asian people @ drexel get no love from the black/white ballers till we start dumping all over them, given our height disadv, then we get picked up all day. plus the guy checking me was on the freshman squad

BTW have my allstar game MAY2 for this north philly filipino league, hope the jerseys are dope! I'll post pix if the are/arent
Automajic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:22 PM   #2
Steezygotups
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Steezygotups has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: pickup/league play Weekly brag (post yours here!)

haha i like this thread. i have a lot of moments i could share but a more recent one was a defensive play i made. im 5'10 and i was guarding a guy a little taller than me, he beat me off the dribble but i stuck with it and followed in behind him and stuffed him from behind, a knocked the ball back a little bit and he recovered tried to put up another lay up and i blocked him again from the front deflected the ball off him out of bounds, our ball goin the other way!

i had 4 sick assists in that game too. ha
Steezygotups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:26 PM   #3
Automajic23
Playground Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steezygotups
haha i like this thread. i have a lot of moments i could share but a more recent one was a defensive play i made. im 5'10 and i was guarding a guy a little taller than me, he beat me off the dribble but i stuck with it and followed in behind him and stuffed him from behind, a knocked the ball back a little bit and he recovered tried to put up another lay up and i blocked him again from the front deflected the ball off him out of bounds, our ball goin the other way!

i had 4 sick assists in that game too. ha

haha you know you're going to want to post highlights after every pickup game now. I think everyone should. Nice to hear about what the other playground ballers are doing instead of elite nba/college players for once. If you really think about it, playground ballers have the same skills on a smaller scale in terms of height/weight/athletic ability. Our sh!t can be just as exciting
Old 05-02-2009, 11:56 AM   #4
Junny
I air my balls

Junny has decent reputation

The recent one I can think of is at a pickup game, full-court 5-on-5, I went on a massive scoring spree. In one stretch I went 5-for-6 (and then I cooled off, sorry to disappoint, and yes going 5-for-6 is a big deal for me). Out of those five shots there are 2 worth mentioning.

One was a drive along the baseline, got double-teamed, then dropped in a reverse high-floating layup (almost like a finger-roll except it was pretty high-floating, doesn't qualify as a teardrop though). In retrospect I think it was actually a very bad shot selection.

The other one was where I drove from about a 45 degree angle to the right from the 3-point line. Drove right in-between two defenders, then jumped and "glided" in-between another two for a right-handed layup.

By the way, I've added some dramatization to my telling of this story. In reality I'm guessing the moves probably didn't look as good or as spectacular as I've described them.

Also, great idea for a thread, well done.

Last edited by Junny : 05-02-2009 at 12:01 PM.
Junny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:00 PM   #5
Steezygotups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automajic23
haha you know you're going to want to post highlights after every pickup game now.

haha yeah man i wish. i could sneak in and steal the security tape at the gym i guess.

but yeah dude i agree, there is a lot of talent that comes through the gym i play at. sometimes i cant help but congratulate an opposing player for some of the great plays i see there. those are usually the people i end up trying to get a block on, SO WATCH OUT! hah
Old 05-02-2009, 01:04 PM   #6
Steezygotups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junny
In one stretch I went 5-for-6 (and then I cooled off, sorry to disappoint, and yes going 5-for-6 is a big deal for me). Out of those five shots there are 2 worth mentioning. .

hey man 5-for-6 anytime is awesome. especially at a pick up game where the scores usually arent too high. but yeah i love catching fire like that. haha
Old 05-02-2009, 02:58 PM   #7
phoenix18
4/27/91-7/23/09

phoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

My turn. I remember year I was playing pickup at a church. My team was undersized and overmatched.We were playing by 1's to 21. At first we could hit a shot and was down 11-0. The dude I was guarding started trash talking and wouldnt stop and pissed me off. Then I took over and started hitting shots from every where on the court. We won the game 24-22 and at one point I had scored 12 straight points. In my best play of the game I blocked a layup attempt and ran down to the court, hesistated at three point line drove through the lane and put up a teardrop right over a 6'11" guys hands.
phoenix18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 03:06 PM   #8
Junny
I air my balls

Junny has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix18
My turn. I remember year I was playing pickup at a church. My team was undersized and overmatched.We were playing by 1's to 21. At first we could hit a shot and was down 11-0. The dude I was guarding started trash talking and wouldnt stop and pissed me off. Then I took over and started hitting shots from every where on the court. We won the game 24-22 and at one point I had scored 12 straight points. In my best play of the game I blocked a layup attempt and ran down to the court, hesistated at three point line drove through the lane and put up a teardrop right over a 6'11" guys hands.

That alone impresses me. I think the teardrop is one of the hardest shots out there (it IS hard right? Or am I just a shyt kunt?)

Can you do them consistently?
Junny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 03:28 PM   #9
phoenix18
4/27/91-7/23/09

phoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
That alone impresses me. I think the teardrop is one of the hardest shots out there (it IS hard right? Or am I just a shyt kunt?)

They are hard for me because I have always tried to do them and it didnt waork but at the time I was in the zone. I can hit them consistently now, though.
phoenix18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:38 PM   #10
Steezygotups

Quote:

they are hard...i practice them everyday by myself and when i make them in games everyone calls it a "luck shot" haha. especially playin 21 i always try at least once to float one from behind the backboard, make them a lot surprisingly. ha

but yeah i've floated a bunch over some 6'5-6'9 guys. i always ask someone how tall they are after the game when i hit floaters over people. not someone 6'11 tho, dont know if i've even played with someone 6'11 before...
Old 05-03-2009, 09:44 PM   #11
1manfastbreak
just win

1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steezygotups
they are hard...i practice them everyday by myself and when i make them in games everyone calls it a "luck shot" haha. especially playin 21 i always try at least once to float one from behind the backboard, make them a lot surprisingly. ha

but yeah i've floated a bunch over some 6'5-6'9 guys. i always ask someone how tall they are after the game when i hit floaters over people. not someone 6'11 tho, dont know if i've even played with someone 6'11 before...

my junior year of high school there was a kid on my team that didn't have a mid-range, only a floater. it was wierd, if he was in the 3 point arc he would just trow up this wierd 1 handed push shot/floater, and he was a pretty good shooter. he would just bang 3's and floaters all day.
1manfastbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:58 PM   #12
STelfair31
National High School Star

STelfair31 has decent reputation

I dropped 35 as a sophomore and most of them came on teardrops; i'm left handed so that alone kinda freaks people out.

Anyway I play everyday and sometimes the games get lame, but anyway, I crossed a dude, went in and out on the big man down low, my teammate cut to the basket, hit him with a behind the head, everyone at the court was going crazy...from then on I was picked every game and I got the nickname " dice"
STelfair31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:21 AM   #13
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

NY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by STelfair31
I dropped 35 as a sophomore and most of them came on teardrops; i'm left handed so that alone kinda freaks people out.

Anyway I play everyday and sometimes the games get lame, but anyway, I crossed a dude, went in and out on the big man down low, my teammate cut to the basket, hit him with a behind the head, everyone at the court was going crazy...from then on I was picked every game and I got the nickname " dice"

I'm a lefthander too, just love to float a high arcing teardrop over an agressive center. One of my fav moves in the lane. If you hit it, that big dude is basically your b*tch
NY-Knicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:09 PM   #14
Automajic23
Playground Legend

Weekly Brag #2

Dropped 10-7-3-2-2 last saturday in my final season game for my North Philly League: facaa.multiply.com/

Dropped 9 in my all star game, had 3 nasty layups including a breakaway off an intercepted pass; i did miss my first 5 layups in the AS game... lol.

Team is now 9-2 riding a red hot 8-0 run into the playoffs!
Old 05-04-2009, 01:20 PM   #15
lil_watz
I brick open layups

lil_watz has an OK reputation so far

Just finished a church league and will share my bragging moment.

We were a fav to win the league but quickly in the season lost four games, twice each to two different teams. after that we started playing really well and finished the season @ 6-4. Being that there was only 6 teams in the league we got the three seed and played the six seed. (1 and 2 both had bys) The tourney was scheduled this past thursday night with all games being played in one night. We played the first game @ 15 minute halves and my team won 39 - 18, with me dropping 20.(not too much to brag about they were the 6 seed in a weak league.) Next game was the mouthy team who gave us two of our losses and with 10 seconds left I stole the ball and called time out. We were tied up and the inbound pass came to me at half court, i drove towards the bucket and was cut off but I happened to find my buddy wide open under the hoop for an easy layup. It was perfect, the other team was so mad that after the game they ended up getting kicked out of the gym because they were cussing and throwing stuff and talking to the officials. The last game was against the 1 seed and to make a long story short we shut them down and won by 21 points.

For winning we get treated to free chipotle and bw3s so it was worth it especially since we were sponsored and didnt have to pay a thing.
lil_watz is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: