Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-20-2013, 05:19 PM   #1
TheReal Kendall
Blah Blah

Default Why isn't Charles Barkley considered a point forward?

I was watching so old games last night and he brought the ball up the court and started the fastbreak a lot of times.

His play is similar to that of Lebron because they had the ball in their hands most of the time and their teammates relied heavily on them to create for them and make plays.

My question is why do we only consider him being a small forward/power foward?

Also Tom Chambers was something like a beast.
TheReal Kendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #2
SyRyanYang
Decent college freshman

Default Re: Why isn't Charles Barkley considered a point forward?

According to april 2013: fast break=the game of basketball
SyRyanYang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:39 PM   #3
Owl
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReal Kendall
I was watching so old games last night and he brought the ball up the court and started the fastbreak a lot of times.

His play is similar to that of Lebron because they had the ball in their hands most of the time and their teammates relied heavily on them to create for them and make plays.

My question is why do we only consider him being a small forward/power foward?

Also Tom Chambers was something like a beast.
People know that Barkley was a ballhandler. But point forward also (more so really) implies a highly skilled passer, was Barkley considered that (I'd say probably not, though not a bad one for his position at all). Also because of the offensive burden he took (a) we think of him as a scorer and someone who looked to score first and (b) he had a high turnover total and unexceptional ast/turnover ratio. These factors have meant Charles wasn't ever portrayed as a point forward even when he was creating shots for others.

Plus our last memories of him are the low post, backdown Houston model.
Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:45 PM   #4
TheReal Kendall
Blah Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl
People know that Barkley was a ballhandler. But point forward also (more so really) implies a highly skilled passer, was Barkley considered that (I'd say probably not, though not a bad one for his position at all). Also because of the offensive burden he took (a) we think of him as a scorer and someone who looked to score first and (b) he had a high turnover total and unexceptional ast/turnover ratio. These factors have meant Charles wasn't ever portrayed as a point forward even when he was creating shots for others.

Plus our last memories of him are the low post, backdown Houston model.

I was watching the Suns vs Bulls and he was passing it good out of double adn whatever.

His teammates just didn't finish though.

I feel like he's a point forward cause even in half court set he would come down and create opportunities for his teammates to score.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:45 PM   #5
TheReal Kendall
Blah Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyRyanYang
According to april 2013: fast break=the game of basketball

Did I say he only brought the ball down in fastbreak?
Old 08-20-2013, 06:14 PM   #6
bizil
Local High School Star

I think guys like Chuck, Webber, and KG were point power forward kind of players. They were so dominant at big man type facets that their best positions were power forward though. Guys like Bron, Pippen, Hondo, and Hill were point forwards who could EASILY swing to play and defend the point guard position if needed. Or they will just initiate the offense from the small forward position they usually played. Many times with small SG's or combo guards who were listed as PG's (such as Paxson, Mo Williams, Joe Dumars, Lindsay Hunter, BJ Armstrong) It wasn't like Magic or Penny where they played WITH natural SG's and SF's in the lineup a lot of the time. Even though Bron, Hill, and Pippen could AND have played that big PG role that Magic and Penny did.

Barkley even though he's only 6'6 is still best at PF even though he was crazy versatile and has played SF a lot. When I think pure point forwards, I think guys who could play PG, SG, and SF interchangeably. Bird, Barry, and Mullin had point forward elements in their own way as well. I just wouldn't put them at the actual PG position, something that Bron, Pippen, and Hill all could do easily due to their handle and athletic ability. Other point forwards with their own twist on it are Kukoc, Detlef, Odom, Paul Pressey, Anthony Mason, and Hedo.

Last edited by bizil : 08-20-2013 at 06:19 PM.
bizil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:20 PM   #7
TheReal Kendall
Blah Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizil
I think guys like Chuck, Webber, and KG were point power forward kind of players. They were so dominant at big man type facets that their best positions were power forward though. Guys like Bron, Pippen, Hondo, and Hill were point forwards who could EASILY swing to play and defend the point guard position if needed. Or they will just initiate the offense from the small forward position they usually played. Barkley even though he's only 6'6 is still best at PF even though he was crazy versatile and has played SF a lot. When I think pure point forwards, I think guys who could play PG, SG, and SF interchangeably. Bird, Barry, and Mullin had point forward elements in their own way as well. I just wouldn't put them at the actual PG position, something that Bron, Pippen, and Hill all could do easily due to their handle and athletic ability. Other point forwards with their own twist on it are Kukoc, Detlef, Odom, Paul Pressey, Anthony Mason, and Hedo.

I get what you saying but it wouldn't be ideal to run Barkley, Lebron, Pippen, Webber, and KG at the SG.

But I do agree with your list of players though and no Barkley couldn't guard the PG but I don't think that makes him less of a Point Forward.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:54 PM   #8
Round Mound
College superstar

Barkley Was The Only Player I Can Remember That Could Be a Center, Forward and Guard in 1 on Single Motion of a Play Such as "Block a Center Straight Up With No Steps Taken, Get the Ball Dribble It On a Fast Break and Pass, Create or Finish With a Slam". He is a PF-SF With Guard-like Instincts. As He Mentions Once a "A 5´10 Fat Point Guard in Highschool". So He Did Have Some Experience Handling the Rock.

Barkley Really Can´t Be Classified as a Positional Player. He Was Multi Skilled and Multi Positional in His Style of Play.

And He Wasn´t 6´6 but 6´4 3/4 or 5/8. Please Stop Insisting He Was Taller.
Round Mound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:25 PM   #9
sundizz
Local High School Star

Why do you always type in bold. Such a h*mo thing to do.
sundizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:28 PM   #10
CavaliersFTW
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundizz
What's wrong with being bold?
CavaliersFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:32 PM   #11
Fudge
dont hate on da brodie

I don't know, but T-Mac is a point forward.
Fudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:56 PM   #12
Round Mound
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
What's wrong with being bold?

Yup...Everyone Has There Own Style of Typing. Who Cares...
Round Mound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:13 AM   #13
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

Chuck wasn't considered a point forward because he didn't run the offense.

He may have passed from that position, but he didn't run the offense itself in the traditional PG role.

Although I'm sure he would've been one of the GOAT PGs of all time. He had great vision and timing, could read the court and basically do whatever you needed an all star pg to do.
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:19 AM   #14
daily
I rattle in 5-footers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundizz

Because he's too cheap to buy a new keyboard.
daily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:19 PM   #15
bizil
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Round Mound
Barkley Was The Only Player I Can Remember That Could Be a Center, Forward and Guard in 1 on Single Motion of a Play Such as "Block a Center Straight Up With No Steps Taken, Get the Ball Dribble It On a Fast Break and Pass, Create or Finish With a Slam". He is a PF-SF With Guard-like Instincts. As He Mentions Once a "A 5´10 Fat Point Guard in Highschool". So He Did Have Some Experience Handling the Rock.

Barkley Really Can´t Be Classified as a Positional Player. He Was Multi Skilled and Multi Positional in His Style of Play.

And He Wasn´t 6´6 but 6´4 3/4 or 5/8. Please Stop Insisting He Was Taller.

Barkley was around 6'6 with shoes on! Damn u are on Barkley's dick! It's not a stretch at all to say he's 6'6 with shoes on DAMN!! And Bron fits into that criteria u are talking about EVEN MORESO than Charles!! And don't sleep on guys like peak KG or Webber either.
bizil is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: