Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 06-12-2013, 07:52 PM   #1
arifgokcen
DON'T FEED THE TROLL

arifgokcen has decent reputation
Default Lebron-Wade BIG PROBLEM Fantastic Piece

First of all lebron is choking(no denying that) but wade is killing the entire team literally.I was watching the finals in my native language commentators were talking about wade the entire time(how spurs completely ignores him.)Its amazing.

Insider article by

Quote:

Tom Haberstroh ‏@tomhaberstroh
The Heat have a Dwyane Wade problem and the Spurs are exploiting it to stop LeBron. http://es.pn/12myksk

If you were to design a co-pilot for LeBron James on the court, would it look anything like this version of Dwyane Wade?

Thatís the question that keeps popping in my head as I watch a tentative James shy away from a packed paint in the Finals. Much of that unassertiveness could be attributed to James and whatever mental obstacles stand in his way from being the unmovable force that destroyed the league in the regular season.

But Iím not buying that the root of the problem is in Jamesí head.

Sure, the Spurs are playing off James when he has the ball, but if you watch the tape, something else becomes obvious:

The Spurs are completely ignoring Wade. And itís killing the Heatís spacing.

More often than not, when James controlled the ball on the perimeter, the man guarding Wade (usually Danny Green) would camp out in the paint and throw one more body in Jamesí way. Initially, the Heat were able to take advantage of the Spursí cheating by having Wade cut to the basket. But that synergy disappeared quickly.

Whatís become painfully obvious the past few weeks is that the James-Wade partnership is not working. That doesnít mean it canít turn itself around in Game 4. But Wadeís compromised state has made him a liability on offense.

Wade is not a threat whatsoever from downtown, which was always the case, but he used to make his defender pay by blowing by him with a devastating first step. With a bruised right knee, that explosiveness has been defused, and itís signaling to the Spurs that they can play off Wade without consequence.

In Game 3, the Heat were minus-30 with James and Wade on the court together and a not-so-abysmal minus-6 when they were apart. This is a growing trend. The Heat canít seem to get anything going with James and Wade together.

For the postseason, the Heat have outscored opponents by a mere 3.3 points per 100 possessions with James and Wade on the court together, according to NBA.com. But when James is playing without Wade? That number skyrockets to 21.8 points per 100 possessions. Remember that 33-5 run in Game 2? James was leading a unit without Wade. Thatís not a random blip.

Itís all about spacing. Beneath all the armchair psychology that will inevitably arise after Game 3, whatís really plaguing the Heat is that they have absolutely no spacing. Erik Spoelstra built an offense predicated on ďpace-and-spaceĒ during the lockout, and itís worked brilliantly when Wade has been healthy. But thatís not the case anymore. The Heat arenít running, and theyíre not able to afford each other the requisite real estate to operate.

Much of that has to do with Wadeís limited state. You can see it on film and in the numbers. According to NBA.comís stats, just 37.8 percent of Jamesí field goal attempts occur in the restricted area when heís playing next to Wade. But when Wade leaves the court, that portion soars to 44.9 percent. Want more evidence? Jamesí free throw attempts almost double from 5.5 per 36 minutes when Wadeís on the floor to 8.9 per 36 minutes when Wadeís on the bench. Prefer to use player efficiency rating? James has a 31.2 PER with Wade on the bench this postseason, but it plummets to 25.1 when heís alongside Wade. James regular-season PER? 31.6, or just about the same as when Wadeís out of the picture.

James better without Wade

Here are Jamesí numbers with and without Wade on the court this postseason.
Stat w/ Wade w/o Wade
%FGA at rim 37.8 44.9
FTA/36 5.5 8.9
PTS/36 19.5 26.5
PER 25.1 31.2

In other words, James shifts into attack mode when Wade is gone.

Thatís likely a product of two things: 1) the Spurs canít clog the paint as well when Wade is replaced by an all-time shooter like Ray Allen; and 2) James doesnít have to worry about locking Wade out of the offense if heís not on the court. That second factor is especially important after Wade complained about touches after Game 6 of the Indiana series.

Because of this dysfunctional relationship, it makes sense to consider whether Wade is better suited to come off the bench. Such a move would allow James to put pressure on a Spurs defense that is hell-bent on keeping the reigning MVP isolated out on the perimeter. The Spurs havenít had nearly the same success when James works without Wade. Itís an extremely tiny sample size, but in the Finals, the Heat are scoring 139.1 points per 100 possessions in the 31 minutes when James runs the offense without Wade. Thatís the juggernaut Heat weíre used to seeing.

James deserves much of the blame for not aggressively attacking the rim, but itís not simply a matter of mental fragility. He has shown he can penetrate into the paint and lead the Heat offense. Just not when a hurt Wade gets in his way.
arifgokcen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:59 PM   #2
TonyMontana
Local High School Star

TonyMontana has a bad reputationTonyMontana has a bad reputationTonyMontana has a bad reputationTonyMontana has a bad reputation
Default Re: Lebron-Wade BIG PROBLEM Fantastic Piece

VERY good article.

Not only does he hurt the spacing, but he hurts LeBrons game because LeBron and Wade are obvious bros so LeBron will look to actively involve Wade trying way too hard to set him up.

Popovich must've been reading my posts during the rest of the playoff series. I kept wondering why teams would even bother to guard Wade. EVERY SINGLE TIME he goes for some lame pump fake when he catches the ball 15 feet away from the hoop, EVERY time. Its obvious he doesn't want to shoot it. When he does take a shot it is way off and ugly as hell.. His handle isn't even good anymore, hes dribbled it off his foot plenty of times.

A 6'3 32 year old guard has no place on an NBA court if he can't make anything other than layups/dunks.
TonyMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:18 PM   #3
L8kersfan222
Rip Samurai Swoosh

L8kersfan222 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryL8kersfan222 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryL8kersfan222 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMontana
Popovich must've been reading my posts
L8kersfan222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:23 PM   #4
WolfGang
I hit open 5-footers

WolfGang has not been impressing people

Omfg I have been saying this for the longest time. When I first started watching basketball I somehow became a Dwyane Wade stan and worshipped him. I used to hate Lebron at the time because I honestly felt like Wade was better but didn't get the same recognition. Lebron is doing waaaay too much work on the court; has been since the season started. If you switched Wade with Kobe would the Heat be having these problems? Wade is useless when he gets the ball and doesn't need to be guarded as hard as most teams do. He just isn't that good anymore.
WolfGang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:36 PM   #5
Akhenaten
Serious playground baller

Akhenaten has not been impressing people

Quote:
VERY good article.

Not only does he hurt the spacing, but he hurts LeBrons game because LeBron and Wade are obvious bros so LeBron will look to actively involve Wade trying way too hard to set him up.

Popovich must've been reading my posts during the rest of the playoff series. I kept wondering why teams would even bother to guard Wade. EVERY SINGLE TIME he goes for some lame pump fake when he catches the ball 15 feet away from the hoop, EVERY time. Its obvious he doesn't want to shoot it. When he does take a shot it is way off and ugly as hell.. His handle isn't even good anymore, hes dribbled it off his foot plenty of times.

A 6'3 32 year old guard has no place on an NBA court if he can't make anything other than layups/dunks.

I like how you took an inch off his height and added a year onto his age
Imma HUGE Wade guy but the article definitely has much merit

I just cannot understand for the life of me how a 10 year NBA vet SG has still not developed a catch and shoot game. Many times Wade's guy will be 5-10 ft away from him and he'll pump fake then dribble RIGHT towards the thick of the defense.

It's mind-numbing, even if you shoot below 40% on those shots, just by catching and shooting in those situations it's better for offensive continuity and rhythm EVEN WHEN YOU'RE NOT MAKING THE SHOTS.

Certain situations in basketball you HAVE to shoot the ball IMO. Wade has always been a guy who is way too concerned about missing, being able to finish at 70% rate at the rim on 8+ attempts is a gift and curse.

Players who've never had that kind of athletic ability are FORCED to maximize their jumpshots, Wade has never had to RELY on his jump shot. Now that he's older and only 6'4 his game looks REALLY clunky.

same for his handles, he could always get right to the bucket for a dunk off a high screen with 1 or two dribbles. He hasn't spent enough time developing his "little guard" skills.
Akhenaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:41 PM   #6
Frozen1
High School Varsity 12th Man

Frozen1 has not been impressing people

So ESPN trys to find a excuse for lebron choking.

And of course they are blaming Wade. In the end, it will not be Lebron`s fault.

It is also wade fault that Lebron can`t hit a jumper when they are guarding him 10 feet away, and that Lebron facial expression is of someone completely shitted and scared.

The same can be said about james. They pack wade`s drives because lebron is scared to shoot a jumper.
Frozen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:41 PM   #7
La Frescobaldi
I brick nerf balls

La Frescobaldi has a terrific reputationLa Frescobaldi has a terrific reputationLa Frescobaldi has a terrific reputationLa Frescobaldi has a terrific reputationLa Frescobaldi has a terrific reputationLa Frescobaldi has a terrific reputation

been saying this all playoffs. Wade is poison on the court. Don't know when it happened, or how, or why, nor care.
But it's fact and about time somebody else noticed it because I was getting lonesome telling all that truth by myself.

Best way to destroy Miami is to go straight at Dwyane Wade and run him through multiple down low screens.

Run him through Leonard, then Duncan, then flatten him with a Splitter screen.... and you got easy basket after easy basket and Wade will be whining by halftime.

Last edited by La Frescobaldi : 06-12-2013 at 08:43 PM.
La Frescobaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:43 PM   #8
arifgokcen
DON'T FEED THE TROLL

arifgokcen has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaten
I like how you took an inch off his height and added a year onto his age
Imma HUGE Wade guy but the article definitely has much merit

I just cannot understand for the life of me how a 10 year NBA vet SG has still not developed a catch and shoot game. Many times Wade's guy will be 5-10 ft away from him and he'll pump fake then dribble RIGHT towards the thick of the defense.

It's mind-numbing, even if you shoot below 40% on those shots, just by catching and shooting in those situations it's better for offensive continuity and rhythm EVEN WHEN YOU'RE NOT MAKING THE SHOTS.

Certain situations in basketball you HAVE to shoot the ball IMO. Wade has always been a guy who is way too concerned about missing, being able to finish at 70% rate at the rim on 8+ attempts is a gift and curse.

Players who've never had that kind of athletic ability are FORCED to maximize their jumpshots, Wade has never had to RELY on his jump shot. Now that he's older and only 6'4 his game looks REALLY clunky.

same for his handles, he could always get right to the bucket for a dunk off a high screen with 1 or two dribbles. He hasn't spent enough time developing his "little guard" skills.
He is 6'3 though.

He said it himself
lebron talked about it.

Though he plays bigger than he is because of his incredible ath.ability(past) and wingspan and his size 220+ at 6'3-6'4

Though it still doesnt change the fact that he cant shoot to save his life as you talked about
arifgokcen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:44 PM   #9
PickernRoller
2/5

PickernRoller has not been impressing people

Wade as a 6th man is a fantastic idea?

,,,what has the world come down to. It's all about making excuses for the K..bleep...bleep....the Queen. Looks like another ESPN writer that voted James for MVP. Series prediction 4-0 Miami Sweep.
PickernRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:48 PM   #10
TonyMontana
Local High School Star

TonyMontana has a bad reputationTonyMontana has a bad reputationTonyMontana has a bad reputationTonyMontana has a bad reputation

Wades mid range game used to be money too.

I dont think this man puts the necesary reps in to maintain those skills. More concerned with his fashion.
TonyMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:49 PM   #11
Derka
Go C's!

Derka has an incredible reputation hereDerka has an incredible reputation hereDerka has an incredible reputation hereDerka has an incredible reputation hereDerka has an incredible reputation hereDerka has an incredible reputation hereDerka has an incredible reputation here

Good piece and you can't deny the numbers and what we're seeing...but it reads like ESPN deflecting blame from Lebron by deriding the armchair psychology aspects that are equally as valid as the stats.
Derka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:49 PM   #12
veilside23
alternick = loser :D

veilside23 is popular on this boardveilside23 is popular on this boardveilside23 is popular on this boardveilside23 is popular on this board

but but i thought dwade is light years better than TP right??

oh damn .... its hard when are a team mate of the best player ever... your game gets a hard blow if your team loses but they dont even lick at your performance if you win they give all praises to LeGawd....
veilside23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:51 PM   #13
KG215
NBA Legend

KG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
VERY good article.

I'm almost convinced you're a pauk alt.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:54 PM   #14
PickernRoller
2/5

PickernRoller has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG215
I'm almost convinced you're a pauk alt.

Any Lebron or self-proclaimed Heat fan can be an alt in this forum.
PickernRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:56 PM   #15
Akhenaten
Serious playground baller

Akhenaten has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by arifgokcen
He is 6'3 though.

his official pre-draft measurement without shoes is 6'3 and 3/4

just like Lebron is really only 6'7 (officially measured at 6'7 and 1/4)
Akhenaten is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: