Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-21-2013, 11:31 AM   #31
TheMan
College superstar

Default Re: 2003 All-Star voting (MJ not so popular after all?)

I'd like to see how many votes LBJ gets at age 39-40.

Good job good effort but try harder, troll.
TheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:57 AM   #32
Bandito
pauk's stan

People fail to understand that you uses to vote for positions before and the SF post used to be dominated by (MJ position that year) Vince, Pierce etc... in the east. He was competing against a lot of stars. Ben Wallace was competing against who? Jason Collins (he was the Nets starting center if I am not mistaken) :roll

Obviously Ben would gotten more votes than MJ, just for that fact.
Bandito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:21 PM   #33
The Immortal
C.O.P.S.

If you were VC, would you give up your spot for Michael Jordan?

Don't think about it from a fans perspective.. put yourself in his size 16 shoes.
The Immortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:27 PM   #34
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Immortal
If you were VC, would you give up your spot for Michael Jordan?

Don't think about it from a fans perspective.. put yourself in his size 16 shoes.
I'm thinking I most definitely would have. Fellow UNC graduate, the chance to pay homage to a guy who likely very much inspired you and paved your way; and it's not as if he was giving up his actual All-Star spot, just his ability to start. I bet it was an easy choice for Carter. I even think it's something he planned on doing all along, but wanted to keep under wraps until the actual starting lineups were announced prior to the contest.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #35
imdaman99
Knicks all da way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
I was trying to get a feel why Mutombo got the nod in your book. It stuck out to me because he had such a miserable season up to that point and was not even within the realm of possibility of being healthy for the game itself. As such, I asked why you voted for him. The "oh" was not meant in jest.
he wont reply to this. because he wants to pretend he was watching basketball in 2003. dude was clueless back then and is clueless right now. coming at MJ in his last legs voting for mutumbo

that being said, cp3 and kobe are likely gonna be starting for the rest of their careers out west. LA's got a strangle-hold in terms of popularity, plus those 2 guys are exciting to watch as well as great players.
imdaman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:43 PM   #36
The Immortal
C.O.P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
I'm thinking I most definitely would have. Fellow UNC graduate, the chance to pay homage to a guy who likely very much inspired you and paved your way; and it's not as if he was giving up his actual All-Star spot, just his ability to start. I bet it was an easy choice for Carter. I even think it's something he planned on doing all along, but wanted to keep under wraps until the actual starting lineups were announced prior to the contest.
Back then it was pretty clear Carter didn't want to give up his spot, but the media smear campaign was too much for him.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...eps-air-jordan
Quote:
Carter steps aside for Jordan
Urged on by his teammates, MJ reluctantly starts
February 10, 2003|By Sam Smith, Tribune pro basketball reporter.

ATLANTA — The big suspense of Sunday's NBA All-Star Game ended just before tipoff when it was announced Michael Jordan would indeed take the starting place of Vince Carter for the East All-Stars.

Coming in, many said Carter should have volunteered to give up his starting spot to fellow Tar Heel Jordan because Carter was injured much of the season. There were reports East coach Isiah Thomas and several teammates suggested Carter make the gesture, but it wasn't until just before the game that Carter declined to take off his warmups and told Jordan he should start.

"These guys went against my wishes in a sense," Jordan said. "I felt like [Carter] had taken a beating and he shouldn't have.

"I felt it was very genuine from his standpoint. He said, `I want you to take this spot. I feel you're very deserving, and I'm not going out there.' I didn't want any more negative press about the kid. I didn't want my leaving to mar the rest of his career."

Perhaps the biggest highlight of the weekend took place at halftime after Jordan was serenaded by Mariah Carey singing "Hero." The 23 other All-Stars and more than 20,000 fans stood for several minutes in salute as Jordan addressed the crowd.

"On behalf of all of you, my former teammates, my former adversaries, competitors," Jordan said, pausing, "I want to thank my family for sticking with me for so many years as I chased my dreams of playing basketball."

All-Stars like Stephon Marbury and Kevin Garnett leaped in place, urging on the crowd.

"For all the fans who supported the game of basketball, not just Michael Jordan, I thank you for your support," Jordan said. "I leave the game in good hands. So many greats stars still in the game, so many great stars rising and playing the game. . . . The things that Dr. J. and some of the great players--Magic Johnson, Larry Bird--have passed on to me, I pass on to these All-Stars here as well as the rest of the players in the NBA.

"Now," said Jordan, a three-time All-Star MVP, "I can go home and feel at peace with the game of basketball."

Go-to guy: Thomas, the East coach, said there was no doubt the team's plan in the end-game situations. Said Thomas: "We definitely wanted to put the ball in [Jordan's] hands and try to let him make the shot and end it the right way. You give the guy two chances, you know he's going to make one. And he delivered. It was a great shot; it was a crazy moment. The fans went crazy."

Thomas said the East team "voted Vince should do it (give Jordan the starting spot), being from Carolina. Every guy in the room wanted to give up his spot. It was a team decision."

New nickname: Shaquille O'Neal said he's renaming Air Jordan "the big hegemony. Hegemony means dominate," said O'Neal, who had 19 points and 13 rebounds in 26 minutes while starting center Yao Ming had two points and one shot, a lob dunk, in 17 minutes.

Yao said he just enjoyed being in the game and there was no hint of animosity toward West coach Rick Adelman of Sacramento.

Wish you were here: Mavericks Dirk Nowitzki and Steve Nash wore Michael Finley's name on their sneakers. "We feel Mike deserved to be here as much as we did," Nowitzki said.

Catch 22: Kobe Bryant, who had 22 points, including nine in the first overtime, admitted being ambivalent about those free throws that could have left Jordan a hero if Bryant had missed at least two in the first overtime. Said Bryant: "I felt I had a job to do, but the other part of me was, `You don't want to do [make them]. It was a tough position to be in."

If I was VC, I honestly wouldn't give up my ASG spot to him. No disrespect to MJ, but he isn't god or anything. Why should he take my rightful spot? Neither would MJ for say.. a 40 year old Dr. J.

Sure Dr. J was great for the game and all, but he had his time and it's over with. Let the new breeds have their glory. Thats some preferential treatment bull-shit.

Last edited by The Immortal : 08-21-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:48 PM   #37
Poetry
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsrplumply
1998 - 1,028,235
1993 - 1,035,824
1992 - 1,049,573

In 1997, MJ got 2.5 million votes.

Remember, this was before anybody even really had computers. And the vote was restricted to the US, Mexico and Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djahjaga
I'd imagine voting was conducted differently then.

It was. I remember before McDonald's took over the all-star ballots, you could vote at Foot Locker and you could also get a ballot at games.

In '97, McDonald's took over the ballots and there were obviously a limited number of opportunities to vote. You can imagine how many of those ballots probably ended up in the trash somewhere.

Today, there are 2.6 billion people on the internet. Anyone, anywhere can vote for the all-star game now, essentially, an infinite number of times.

I think it was around 2003 when the Chinese and the international community began to vote and play a large role in the all-star game voting results.

MJ never had the benefit of the international vote when he was younger.

This is a weak era for all-star game voting.

Anyone can vote, anytime they want, from anywhere.

Today MJ would likely get 6-7 million all-star votes a year.
Poetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:11 PM   #38
Flash31
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave
LOL, congratulations on the dumbest post in a retarded thread.

Jordan was more popular than any athlete playing any sport today in the 90s. The only people more famous than him at that time would probably be Michael Jackson and Princess Diana.

Mike Tyson was just as big
if not Bigger

And for this thread,really
come on
MJ was near 40, playing for the Wizards,wasnt even playing up to his or all star elite type standards
and yet he was only 100-200 thousand votes away from the bench or starting

And look at who he was up against
Carter and AI

The goat Dunker and one of Goat guards

are there any other two people more fitting to play an all star game
They were practically made for it

Itll be like people Ragging Duncan or Kobe
for not making a starter in as game

Hell Kobes been making the as game as starter for years
due to two things mostly
popularity and deficiency at sg spot

There is no Carter,AI to take it
nobody with the talent or popularity
Kobes gonna make the as game until he retires

Why is anyone even trying to talk about this
40 yr old Mj,4 yrs away from nba
near 40,plays for wizards,against two most popular players in nba and still comes close

In that case why not use Hakeem Raptors,Pippen Blazers,Ewing Magic
against them for not making the as game

come on,beyond illogical
Flash31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:27 PM   #39
SamuraiSWISH
GOAT gonna GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Immortal
Pretty sure he was 39 for most of the season
His birthday is right before the all-star break in February. So he played 3 months @ 39, and 3 months @ 40 years old. The season ends when he's forty. I count that as his age for the season. The same way the NBA season is actually two years 2002 - 2003, but we consider it the 2003 season on where it ends.

As for the rest of your nonsensical trolling, it's already been pretty much covered by others but I will re-ETHER you immortalD24 ... in all your nut hopping bandwagon player glory.

MJ missed a ton of games in 2002, still popular, but his style of play was competing against these high flying and exciting young guys either in their prime or entering it: McGrady, Vince Carter, Paul Pierce, and Allen Iverson. I forget whether the ballots had MJ listed as guard or forward, even though he played forward for the duration of his tenure in Washington. Either way, it makes sense he wouldn't be leading vote getter. As I also mentioned he wasn't a starter to start that season due to his knees and the transition to help the franchise he thought he would still be managing.

As for the Ben Wallace comparison, ummm, it's a positional thing? No one had a choice but to vote for him.

And as of others have pointed out, MJ lead the league in voting in '87, '88, '89, '90, '91, '92, '93, '97, and '98. Pre-internet. This means you had to either go into a Footlocker, Champs Sports, or an actual arena to attend games to place a ballot. Later you could at McDonalds. And the voting was limited to USA, Canada, and Mexico. Now, with the internet you can vote multiple times, and the asian contingency is HUGE. It was a different world.

Still doesn't change the fact MJ lead the league 9x times as leading vote getter (a record) and your previous man crush, Kobe has only done it 3x times, and your new man crush has only done it 2x times.

Immortal, you're going to have to be that in order to come back from all of us killing you with the context. Be honest, you weren't even old enough to watch in 2003.

Moment of silence to OP and to MJ @ 40 in 2003 for shutting down the All-Star Game making it totally entertaining with his superior clutch-ness, and having Mariah Carey come out in that tight jersey dress looking sexy as hell to sing for us.
SamuraiSWISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:33 PM   #40
Soundwave
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash31
if not Bigger

come on
MJ was near 40, playing for the Wizards,wasnt even playing up to his or all star elite type standards

Carter and AI

due to two things mostly

near 40,plays for wizards,against two most popular players in nba and still comes close

come on,beyond illogical

Mike Tyson was up there, but the president never commented on Mike Tyson returning to boxing, whereas Bill Clinton did make that clever little sound bite about Michael Jordan returning to basketball.

MJ was on the TV all the time too with endorsements and was generally a much more marketable and friendly guy (lol), whereas Tyson was weird.

If you were famous in the 1990s you were *f*cking* famous, not like today. Today there's a bunch of jerk offs and reality TV idiots who are mildly famous. You had to actually be somebody to be famous back then, you couldn't just be some "Youtube sensation".

In the 90s, it was Michael Jackson, Princess Diana, Michael Jordan, Arnold Schwarzenneger, Tom Cruise, Oprah, were the most famous people, and their level of fame dwarfs anyone today.

I remember Jordan telling a story that he got stuck in a shopping mall and had to take a dump, so he had to use a public toliet, but people started to notice who he was and word spread through the mall, that as he was taking a sh*t, he had people sliding items underneath his bathroom stall to sign.

Dude could not even take a sh*t in peace.

Even honestly Shaq in the 90s is probably more famous than anyone basketball player today. I remember when he first came into the league, he was *everywhere*. The marketing push behind him dwarfs any player today, you generally won't see LeBron James commercials during normal non-basketball/sports related programming, but Shaq was on TV all the freaking time with the Reebok/Pepsi ads etc. etc.
Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:38 PM   #41
sportjames23
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash31
if not Bigger

come on

Carter and AI

due to two things mostly

come on,beyond illogical

Tyson was never as big as Jordan. Especially by the late 90s.
sportjames23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:42 PM   #42
The Choken One
<3 LeBron <3 Heat <3

Here's some food for thought...LeBron won't even be in the league at 40. Lucky if he's still in the league at 36, honestly.
The Choken One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:45 PM   #43
sportjames23
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
His birthday is right before the all-star break in February. So he played 3 months @ 39, and 3 months @ 40 years old. The season ends when he's forty. I count that as his age for the season. The same way the NBA season is actually two years 2002 - 2003, but we consider it the 2003 season on where it ends.

As for the rest of your nonsensical trolling, it's already been pretty much covered by others but I will re-ETHER you immortalD24 ... in all your nut hopping bandwagon player glory.

MJ missed a ton of games in 2002, still popular, but his style of play was competing against these high flying and exciting young guys either in their prime or entering it: McGrady, Vince Carter, Paul Pierce, and Allen Iverson. I forget whether the ballots had MJ listed as guard or forward, even though he played forward for the duration of his tenure in Washington. Either way, it makes sense he wouldn't be leading vote getter. As I also mentioned he wasn't a starter to start that season due to his knees and the transition to help the franchise he thought he would still be managing.

As for the Ben Wallace comparison, ummm, it's a positional thing? No one had a choice but to vote for him.

And as of others have pointed out, MJ lead the league in voting in '87, '88, '89, '90, '91, '92, '93, '97, and '98. Pre-internet. This means you had to either go into a Footlocker, Champs Sports, or an actual arena to attend games to place a ballot. Later you could at McDonalds. And the voting was limited to USA, Canada, and Mexico. Now, with the internet you can vote multiple times, and the asian contingency is HUGE. It was a different world.

Still doesn't change the fact MJ lead the league 9x times as leading vote getter (a record) and your previous man crush, Kobe has only done it 3x times, and your new man crush has only done it 2x times.

Immortal, you're going to have to be that in order to come back from all of us killing you with the context. Be honest, you weren't even old enough to watch in 2003.

Moment of silence to OP and to MJ @ 40 in 2003 for shutting down the All-Star Game making it totally entertaining with his superior clutch-ness, and having Mariah Carey come out in that tight jersey dress looking sexy as hell to sing for us.

Ether.
sportjames23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:12 PM   #44
DJ Leon Smith
Shutting down your thread with knowledge and intelligence

CONGRATULATIONS!

You tried to make a "Jordan isn't popular" thread.

But instead you made a "Jordan wasn't made by the NBA/David Stern" thread.

Please collect your "I'm a retard" badge from jeff at insidehoops.com.

LOLOLOLOLOL

LOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOL

LOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLO LOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOL

LOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLO LOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLL OLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOL OLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLO LOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLO LOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOL OLOLOLOL

LOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLO LOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLL OLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOL OLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLO LOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLO LOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOL OLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOL OLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLO LOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLO LLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOL OLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLO LOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLL OLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOL

LOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLO LOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLL OLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOL OLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLO LOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLO LOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOL OLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOL OLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLO LOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLO LLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOL OLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLO LOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLL OLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOL OLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLO LOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLO LOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOL OLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOL OL

LOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLO LOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLL OLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOL OLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLO LOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLO LOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOL OLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOL OLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLO LOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLO LLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOL OLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLO LOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLL OLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOL OLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLO LOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLO LOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOL OLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOL OLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLO LOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLO LLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOL OLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOL LOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLO LOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLL OLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOL OLOL

Great mods you've got Jeff.
DJ Leon Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:37 AM   #45
The Immortal
C.O.P.S.

If you keep repeating the same thing over and over again.. eventually it will stick. Good luck with that, clown.

Also.. LMAO at the 3 month crap. He was 39 for most of the season.

52/82 = 63% of his season.. and most importantly, 100% of the games once the all-star game roster was set + the All-Star game (Feb 9, 2003). LOL at "ether".

Last edited by The Immortal : 08-22-2013 at 01:42 AM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: