Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-21-2013, 07:56 AM   #16
SpurrDurr
Local High School Star

SpurrDurr has decent reputation
Default Re: 2003 All-Star voting (MJ not so popular after all?)

Cause most of MJ dickriders started to watch basket and venerate him after he retired
SpurrDurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:09 AM   #17
Soundwave
NBA lottery pick

Soundwave is considered somewhat coolSoundwave is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpurrDurr
Cause most of MJ dickriders started to watch basket and venerate him after he retired

LOL, congratulations on the dumbest post in a retarded thread.

Jordan was more popular than any athlete playing any sport today in the 90s. The only people more famous than him at that time would probably be Michael Jackson and Princess Diana.
Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:16 AM   #18
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdaman99
this guy is talking about ben wallace being more popular than jordan... why? because ben wallace was playing center in a conference without a center?
I opted to quote this passage for emphasis. I love Ben Wallace, but when a person was filling out an All-Star ballot in 2003 and saw this list under centers:

Ben Wallace
Dikembe Mutombo (36 years old, 16 games played, injured)
Zydrunas Ilgauskas
Antonio Davis
Brad Miller
Brian Grant
Tony Battie
Theo Ratliff
Todd MacCulloch
Elden Campbell

Is it really that much of a surprise that Ben reeled in so many votes? I'm sure Tony Battie and Toddy Mac supporters were furious over the results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psileas
Considering that this was the least prolific season of his career, playing basically at a "marginal/arguable All-Star" level and that he still received a comparable number of votes with elite All-Stars and MVP candidates tells me that he was easily among the very most popular players in the league. Even more so if you consider that lots of people were asking Vince Carter to surrender to him the A.S starter role, despite having got more votes (then, why the heck were they voting for Carter more?).
I really wanted Jordan to start and go out on top (though I didn't vote) but I thought the controversy manifested by media outlets was way over the top and out of line. There was a lot of discussion about who should give up their spot, whether they should give up their spot, and ultimately, disappointment when any given player vowed to uphold the fan's votes and wishes. Carter gave up his spot and still caught flak for not doing it quickly enough.

That said, I always was a little surprised Jordan didn't earn a starting nod. Though, AI, Vince, and T-Mac were taking the league by storm at that point - both in terms of skill and, perhaps more importantly, excitement and athleticism. It wasn't that people loved Carter more than Jordan. They just wanted to see a show, and Vince was a show back then, even having sat out a month and a half of that season up to that point.

Also... stupid Jermaine O'Neal...
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:16 AM   #19
Psileas
NBA lottery pick

Psileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
You got your shit wrong bro, no offense. You're mixing up the wants/view of the people with the media/ espn. The people wanted VC, hence why he was voted in there.

"Bro", I'm fully aware of the media and if I wanted to mention them, I would. But I know that lots of fans wanted Jordan to be a starter, too, and that they disapproved of Carter not wanting to concede. Which in the end explains why Jordan got so many votes instead. My critique targets the ones who voted for Carter but wanted to see Jordan, which doesn't make much sense.
Psileas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:20 AM   #20
sportjames23
MJ>>>>Lebron KD & Kobe

sportjames23 is a pretty well-respected postersportjames23 is a pretty well-respected postersportjames23 is a pretty well-respected postersportjames23 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by #number6ix#
Who gives a fuck... It's 2013

Obviously the butthurt OP does.
sportjames23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:21 AM   #21
sportjames23
MJ>>>>Lebron KD & Kobe

sportjames23 is a pretty well-respected postersportjames23 is a pretty well-respected postersportjames23 is a pretty well-respected postersportjames23 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpurrDurr

LOL this guy here.
sportjames23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:40 AM   #22
The Immortal
:)

The Immortal is considered somewhat coolThe Immortal is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psileas
"Bro", I'm fully aware of the media and if I wanted to mention them, I would. But I know that lots of fans wanted Jordan to be a starter, too, and that they disapproved of Carter not wanting to concede. Which in the end explains why Jordan got so many votes instead. My critique targets the ones who voted for Carter but wanted to see Jordan, which doesn't make much sense.
Nah, it was all the media. Pretty much everyone I knew didn't want to see MJ starting and prefered T-mac/ Iverson/ Carter as the main backcourt. I was actually one of the few around my area who wanted to see Jordan in the ASG that year.

I had:

Tracy McGrady
Michael Jordan
Vince Carter
Jermaine O’Neal
Dikembe Mutombo

As my prefered ideal lineup because I wasn't fond of Iverson all that much (due to my Iverson stanning cousin). I probably voted somewhere between 50-80 times (srs).

But of course the media in the end sets the agenda and the false arguments/drama. See: LeBron vs Kobe (no contest, LeBron obviously)

Last edited by The Immortal : 08-21-2013 at 09:43 AM.
The Immortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:45 AM   #23
tmacattack33
NBA rookie of the year

tmacattack33 has not been impressing people

So, 40 year old MJ had almost as many votes as prime Iverson.

Iverson was one of the biggest names the sport has ever seen, and in 2009 or whatever it was he made the all-star game even though he was injured and he was a terrible choice...but the fans still voted him in because in a way he's bigger than his on court basketball game.

tmacattack33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #24
thabisyo
Local High School Star

thabisyo is starting to rub some people the wrong waythabisyo is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Ben mutha****en Wallace

thabisyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:41 AM   #25
tpols
5-time NBA All-Star

tpols has a terrific reputationtpols has a terrific reputationtpols has a terrific reputationtpols has a terrific reputationtpols has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Ben Wallace
Dikembe Mutombo (36 years old, 16 games played, injured)
Zydrunas Ilgauskas
Antonio Davis
Brad Miller
Brian Grant
Tony Battie
Theo Ratliff
Todd MacCulloch
Elden Campbell

This is the list of starting centers in the east
tpols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:46 AM   #26
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Immortal
Nah, it was all the media. Pretty much everyone I knew didn't want to see MJ starting and prefered T-mac/ Iverson/ Carter as the main backcourt. I was actually one of the few around my area who wanted to see Jordan in the ASG that year.

I had:

Tracy McGrady
Michael Jordan
Vince Carter
Jermaine O’Neal
Dikembe Mutombo

As my prefered ideal lineup because I wasn't fond of Iverson all that much (due to my Iverson stanning cousin). I probably voted somewhere between 50-80 times (srs).

But of course the media in the end sets the agenda and the false arguments/drama. See: LeBron vs Kobe (no contest, LeBron obviously)
With respect, what made you vote 50 times for Dikembe Mutombo? He was having an awful year. On top of that, he was injured for the vast majority of the regular season and for the near entirety of the All-Star ballot run (injured at the end of November, didn't come back until April-ish).
Old 08-21-2013, 10:53 AM   #27
The Immortal

The Immortal is considered somewhat coolThe Immortal is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
With respect, what made you vote 50 times for Dikembe Mutombo? He was having an awful year. On top of that, he was injured for the vast majority of the regular season and for the near entirety of the All-Star ballot run (injured at the end of November, didn't come back until April-ish).
Easy.. Dikembe Mutombo is/was a great ambassador to the game.

Besides, I wore his jersey number in highschool (not by choice, but because it was the biggest jersey available.. 1-34 were all picked up by midget guards).
Old 08-21-2013, 10:56 AM   #28
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Easy.. Dikembe Mutombo is/was a great ambassador to the game.

Besides, I wore his jersey number in highschool (not by choice, but because it was the biggest jersey available.. 1-34 were all picked up by midget guards).
Ohhh, so you were voting as a respect thing, not because you actually thought he was All-Star worthy, yes? Wouldn't it have been an empty selection anyway though, since he had absolutely no chance of being healthy by the all-star break?
Old 08-21-2013, 11:02 AM   #29
The Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
Ohhh, so you were voting as a respect thing, not because you actually thought he was All-Star worthy, yes? Wouldn't it have been an empty selection anyway though, since he had absolutely no chance of being healthy by the all-star break?
Ohhhh.. the **** are you ohhhing about?

I'm not even sure what you're trying to get at here.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #30
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Ohhhh.. the **** are you ohhhing about?

I'm not even sure what you're trying to get at here.
I was trying to get a feel why Mutombo got the nod in your book. It stuck out to me because he had such a miserable season up to that point and was not even within the realm of possibility of being healthy for the game itself. As such, I asked why you voted for him. The "oh" was not meant in jest.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: