Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-21-2013, 05:51 PM   #1
Shade8780
GOATin

Shade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Where does this era rank all-time?

I know nostalgia-heads are gonna come in and tell us about how the 80s and 90s were so much better because you grew up watching them, but in your honest opinion, where does this era rank all-time?
Shade8780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:54 PM   #2
9erempiree
26 yrs of watching NBA

9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board
Default Re: Where does this era rank all-time?

I say this is the weakest era by far. A lot of guys that aren't very skilled and the lack of great bigs.

I'm not nostalgic but 00's are the best, 80's and then 90's.

00's produced 3 of the greatest players of all time in the top 10. I don't think '10's are producing anyone of their level.
9erempiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:55 PM   #3
Shade8780
GOATin

Shade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9erempiree
I say this is the weakest era by far. A lot of guys that aren't very skilled and the lack of great bigs.

00's produced 3 of the greatest players of all time in the top 10. I don't think '10's are producing anyone of their level.
Because Kobe played during that era, right?
Shade8780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:57 PM   #4
9erempiree
26 yrs of watching NBA

9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade8780
Because Kobe played during that era, right?

Are you forgetting Shaq, Duncan, KG and Iverson? Dirk?

This era will be known as the ring chasing era. A lot of superstars joining forces which water downs the entire league.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:59 PM   #5
riseagainst
Lebron fan

riseagainst has an OK reputation so far

worst era since the 50s.
riseagainst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:01 PM   #6
MP.Trey
Kyrieeee & L-Traaaaiin

MP.Trey is popular on this boardMP.Trey is popular on this boardMP.Trey is popular on this boardMP.Trey is popular on this board

80's
90's
00's

60's

70's

50's

Could change but looks about right to me.

EDIT: 10's are too early to tell. But can't see them overtaking the 00's.

Last edited by MP.Trey : 08-21-2013 at 06:05 PM.
MP.Trey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:03 PM   #7
9erempiree
26 yrs of watching NBA

There are a couple of guys in today's league that have potential to be GOAT but they take lesser roles to win championships. That's cool and all but that's not going to get you to legendary status.

Rose is the next guy that can be a legend because I don't see him leaving in the near future. By not leaving his path is going to be legendary if he wins multiple rings.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:04 PM   #8
LongLiveTheKing
Go HEATLES!

LongLiveTheKing is considered somewhat coolLongLiveTheKing is considered somewhat cool

80's
90's
10's
00's
LongLiveTheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:23 PM   #9
TheMan
MJ GOAT, U MAD?

TheMan is considered somewhat coolTheMan is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9erempiree

If we're going by that measurement, the 80's produced arguably 3 of the top 5 GOAT players in MJ, Magic and Bird...
TheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:40 PM   #10
Magic 32
College star

Magic 32 has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsMagic 32 has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsMagic 32 has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsMagic 32 has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsMagic 32 has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these parts

Depends on how you break down the eras. I like to break them down in 5 "yearish" blocks. I think 10 years is too broad.

80-84 Excellent era but still recovering from the 70's
85-90 Probably the peak in terms of great teams and competition.
91-95 Near peak. Amazing physicality (if not quite the same depth as 85-90).
95-99 Quite weak and top heavy.
99-03 Even more top heavy but probably better teams at the top (all of the great teams are in the west however).
04-10 Much stronger, but still very top heavy (especially in the east). The west is still too dominant for the era to get a top spot IMO
2011- Too early to tell, but it looks top heavy and injury filled.

So for me in the last 30 years...

1. 85-90
2. 90-95
3. 04-10
4. 80-85
5. 99-03
6. 95-99

Last edited by Magic 32 : 08-21-2013 at 07:48 PM.
Magic 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:46 PM   #11
Marchesk
El Sid Stan

Marchesk has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMan
If we're going by that measurement, the 80's produced arguably 3 of the top 5 GOAT players in MJ, Magic and Bird...

The 60s had Wilt and Russell. Oscar was a GOAT player at one time. West was top 10.

Out of the top 20 players (left off decade if they only played a year or were insignificant):

60s: 6 (Russell, Wilt, Oscar, West, Baylor, Hondo)
70s: 4 (KAJ, Moses Malone, Dr J, Hondo)
80s: 8 (KAJ, Magic, Bird, Jordan, Hakeem, Moses Malone, Barkley, Karl Malone)
90s: 6 (Jordan, Duncan, Hakeem, Shaq, Barkley, Karl Malone)
00s: 5 (Duncan, Kobe, Shaq, Lebron, Dirk)
10s: 4 (Duncan, Kobe, Lebron, Dirk)

Something close to that.

So for top 20:

80s
60s/90s
00s
70s/10s with seven more years to go so Durant might be there
Marchesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:01 PM   #12
Round Mound
NBA lottery pick

Round Mound has an incredible reputation hereRound Mound has an incredible reputation hereRound Mound has an incredible reputation hereRound Mound has an incredible reputation hereRound Mound has an incredible reputation hereRound Mound has an incredible reputation hereRound Mound has an incredible reputation here

80s > .....
Round Mound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:04 PM   #13
305Baller
Maybe I'm a sophist.

305Baller is popular on this board305Baller is popular on this board305Baller is popular on this board305Baller is popular on this board305Baller is popular on this board

I'll take a crack at it:
80's
00's
90's
70's
60's

80's was the peak era, the skills of the 60's and 70's players meeting the athleticism of the modern era.

Other than Jordan, I thought the offensively stagnant 90's were kind of weak, especially in the late 90's. There were a lot of Jordan wannabees that failed due to being all athleticism and no skills. Probably the leagues defensive peak.

The 00's is where things kind of picked up again offensively due to the success of the Kings.

70's had Dr. J , West and Kareem and what seems like a balanced league but I was born in the late 70s so do the math. The footage I have seen shows competition on par with today as well as good shooting skills.

60's must have been hella boring with all those Celtics titles. Big O didnt win anything but was prob fun to watch.

Last edited by 305Baller : 08-21-2013 at 08:12 PM.
305Baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:07 PM   #14
Round Mound
NBA lottery pick

Round Mound has an incredible reputation hereRound Mound has an incredible reputation hereRound Mound has an incredible reputation hereRound Mound has an incredible reputation hereRound Mound has an incredible reputation hereRound Mound has an incredible reputation hereRound Mound has an incredible reputation here

80s-93.
60s
93s
70s
10s
00s
50s
Round Mound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:08 PM   #15
Marchesk
El Sid Stan

Marchesk has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by 305Baller
60's must have been hella boring with all those Celtics titles.

Unless you were a Celtics fan back then. 60s seems to have a rather high concentration of talent for such a small league.
Marchesk is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: