Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 08-14-2013, 10:28 PM   #16
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here

Default Re: 2013 College Football Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by irondarts
I think it's pretty disgusting that these brokers secretly filmed Maziel during these sessions, likely to use it against him and sell it to ESPN. People who are out to ruin college athletes for stupid shit are pathetic.
The brokers are scum, no question. They are no doubt only releasing these statements for the sake of authenticating the signatures en masse.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:58 PM   #17
kentatm
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
?

The broker has him on film. If these brokers were willing to talk to the NCAA this would be over. As it stands we don't know what exact proof the NCAA has or what they ate considering doing. Manuel and A&M wouldn't be layering up if they weren't in danger.

going by the report, they don't have a money exchange and there is technically no talk of payment.

I find it more interesting that the NCAA seems to completely take other players like Jadeveon Clowney, Braxton Miller, De’Anthony Thomas, Teddy Bridgewater, and AJ McCarron at their word they weren't paid even though those guys also have a ton of stuff available and almost always by the same dealers.

It's pretty clear to me that either Johnny and all those guys didn't get paid or they all did. There is really no middle ground.

I imagine the NCAA is kind of freaking out b/c they don't want to suspend so many star players from various BCS schools for fear of kicking off a power conference exodus from the NCAA umbrella.

Many conference commissioners have already openly talked about creating a 4th division that the NCAA would not control. It's not going to take much to push them into it.

Hell, they are already getting their asses kicked in the O'Bannon case. I doubt they want a ton of high profile football players to join the lawsuit. Especially when Jay Bilas just crapped all over them for selling jerseys that was blatantly for the very players nobody is supposed to profit off of.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:08 AM   #18
Balla_Status

Quote:
?

The broker has him on film. If these brokers were willing to talk to the NCAA this would be over. As it stands we don't know what exact proof the NCAA has or what they ate considering doing. Manuel and A&M wouldn't be layering up if they weren't in danger.

The brokers could still talk and that still wouldn't be proof. Why would they show the video and then not talk? That doesn't make any sense. He didn't get paid.

They have him on film SIGNING. There is nothing against NCAA rules that you can't sign autographs. Where in the video does it show him getting paid?

Last edited by Balla_Status : 08-15-2013 at 01:18 AM.
Balla_Status is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:04 AM   #19
IcanzIIravor
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balla_Status
Hopefully you guys are done recovering from the cotton bowl.

I suspect if you can recover from 77 - 0, we'll be okay from the thrashing you gave us last year. Of course I will wager we recover a lot faster than you recovered from that mauling.
IcanzIIravor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:35 AM   #20
Balla_Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcanzIIravor
I suspect if you can recover from 77 - 0, we'll be okay from the thrashing you gave us last year. Of course I will wager we recover a lot faster than you recovered from that mauling.

I didn't become an A&M fan until 2004ish so that doesn't burn me too bad. Coaching change fucked us that year from what I've read. The #1 loss that burns me is losing to Texas at the end of 2011. God their team was so shit...and it was at home. If Mike Goodson and Christine Michael were healthy, we would've won but we didn't.

Oklahoma State will win the Big 12 this year. David Ash will continue to suck and OU will have another disappointing year and will bring even more recruits to A&M to play in the big leagues. Kevin Sumlin is the new cool while Stoops and Mack Brown are of the old gang.

Last edited by Balla_Status : 08-15-2013 at 06:39 AM.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:25 AM   #21
IcanzIIravor
NBA lottery pick

Quote:

I didn't become an A&M fan until 2004ish so that doesn't burn me too bad. Coaching change fucked us that year from what I've read. The #1 loss that burns me is losing to Texas at the end of 2011. God their team was so shit...and it was at home. If Mike Goodson and Christine Michael were healthy, we would've won but we didn't.

Oklahoma State will win the Big 12 this year. David Ash will continue to suck and OU will have another disappointing year and will bring even more recruits to A&M to play in the big leagues. Kevin Sumlin is the new cool while Stoops and Mack Brown are of the old gang.

You guys have a good thing going, but how bout you win your conference first before crowing too loudly. Damn shame you are one of those people who chant 'SEC! SEC!' I've got lotsa family down south (Miss st and Ole Miss fans) and it cracks me up to see them brag about the other teams in the conference winning championships as if they too won.
IcanzIIravor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:41 AM   #22
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
going by the report, they don't have a money exchange and there is technically no talk of payment.

I find it more interesting that the NCAA seems to completely take other players like Jadeveon Clowney, Braxton Miller, De’Anthony Thomas, Teddy Bridgewater, and AJ McCarron at their word they weren't paid even though those guys also have a ton of stuff available and almost always by the same dealers.
The brokers are claiming to have paid Manziel. Multiple brokers. I'll elaborate on that in a little bit. As for these other stars it wouldn't shock me if they were getting paid at all. I'm sure the NCAA's stupid amateur rules get broken daily.
Quote:
The brokers could still talk and that still wouldn't be proof. Why would they show the video and then not talk? That doesn't make any sense. He didn't get paid.

They have him on film SIGNING. There is nothing against NCAA rules that you can't sign autographs. Where in the video does it show him getting paid?
Six brokers who have all said they paid him for signing sessions wouldn't be proof? Just one big coincidence?

I guess no one was ever convicted of anything before we had video.

Old 08-17-2013, 05:57 PM   #23
Balla_Status

NCAA =/= court of law buddy...read up
Old 08-17-2013, 06:19 PM   #24
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Even though I am Sooner fan I hope Mr. Football plays this year...makes things more exciting.
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:27 PM   #25
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here

Quote:
NCAA =/= court of law buddy...read up
Which just increases the likelihood that he gets punished. They don't have to deal with a statute like "beyond a reasonable doubt," they can act on a level of evidence that satisfies their own thoughts on a particular case. "Read up."
Old 08-17-2013, 07:01 PM   #26
Balla_Status

Quote:
Which just increases the likelihood that he gets punished. They don't have to deal with a statute like "beyond a reasonable doubt," they can act on a level of evidence that satisfies their own thoughts on a particular case. "Read up."

Right. Do you know how much money the NCAA would stand to lose if Manziel is ineligible?

The NCAA requires DIRECT evidence. Not circumstantial evidence.

Statement from the NCAA when Newton was cleared:
Quote:
"The NCAA enforcement staff is committed to a fair and thorough investigative process," the NCAA said in a statement. "As such, any allegations of major rules violations must meet a burden of proof, which is a higher standard than rampant public speculation online and in the media. The allegations must be based on credible and persuasive information and includes a good-faith belief that the Committee on Infractions could make a finding.

There were former Auburn players who made claims (like the brokers) that there was wrongdoing in the program and players were getting paid. But Auburn was cleared as there wasn't sufficient/direct evidence of the wrongdoing.

So like I said, there is no direct proof currently of Manziel getting paid. READ UP.

Last edited by Balla_Status : 08-17-2013 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:10 PM   #27
Balla_Status

Not to mention there's an obscure Texas law out there that could hold the brokers liable if there's any loss of revenue from this debacle:

Quote:
"a person who violates a rule of a national collegiate athletic association adopted by this chapter is liable for damages in an action brought by an institution if (1) the person knew or reasonably should have know that a rule was violated; and (2) the violation of the rule is a contributing factor to disciplinary action taken by the national collegiate athletic association against the institution or a student at the institution."

Texas!
Old 08-17-2013, 07:38 PM   #28
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here

Quote:
Right. Do you know how much money the NCAA would stand to lose if Manziel is ineligible?

The NCAA requires DIRECT evidence. Not circumstantial evidence.

Statement from the NCAA when Newton was cleared:

There were former Auburn players who made claims (like the brokers) that there was wrongdoing in the program and players were getting paid. But Auburn was cleared as there wasn't sufficient/direct evidence of the wrongdoing.

So like I said, there is no direct proof currently of Manziel getting paid. READ UP.
Your insecurity is shining through your post. You're all over the place here. First, you talk about all the money the NCAA would lose. Well, duh. That doesn't change the fact that Bryant is right: Letting Manziel go unpunished is hypocritical. Then you talk about the level of evidence. Come on. The NCAA reads the news, we all know Manziel has been selling autographs. 4400 freebies? Get real. 6 different brokers claiming to have been paid? The reality is that the NCAA doesn't want to dismiss their cash cow and are looking for an excuse not to kill the Alabama/A&M showdown. The outcome of the Newton case doesn't change that fact, really the Newton case just shows what a joke the NCAA really is. They decided that it was just his dad taking money and the son (who once bought a stolen laptop) was completely innocent. "Read up."

The NCAA is ridiculous. Like how they let Terrelle Pryor play in the bowl game with his suspension beginning the next season.

I'm not saying Manziel is definitely getting a suspension. I'm just agreeing with the statement that Dez Bryant made: If they don't suspend Manziel the NCAA is showing how hypocritical they are.

Again.

The most likely outcome is that some time after the Alabama game, maybe this season, maybe after this season, they declare that Manziel violated the rules. If A&M is on top of the SEC he'll be "clean" the whole season. If they stumble he'll be "guilty" sometime around mid-season.

But your idea that what's holding them up is a lack of evidence? That's almost funny. The NCAA has all the power here, they can do whatever they want and always have. That's why Dez Bryant lost a whole season for lying about a meal.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:36 PM   #29
Balla_Status

Quote:
Your insecurity is shining through your post. You're all over the place here. First, you talk about all the money the NCAA would lose. Well, duh. That doesn't change the fact that Bryant is right: Letting Manziel go unpunished is hypocritical. Then you talk about the level of evidence. Come on. The NCAA reads the news, we all know Manziel has been selling autographs. 4400 freebies? Get real. 6 different brokers claiming to have been paid? The reality is that the NCAA doesn't want to dismiss their cash cow and are looking for an excuse not to kill the Alabama/A&M showdown. The outcome of the Newton case doesn't change that fact, really the Newton case just shows what a joke the NCAA really is. They decided that it was just his dad taking money and the son (who once bought a stolen laptop) was completely innocent. "Read up."

The NCAA is ridiculous. Like how they let Terrelle Pryor play in the bowl game with his suspension beginning the next season.

I'm not saying Manziel is definitely getting a suspension. I'm just agreeing with the statement that Dez Bryant made: If they don't suspend Manziel the NCAA is showing how hypocritical they are.

Again.

The most likely outcome is that some time after the Alabama game, maybe this season, maybe after this season, they declare that Manziel violated the rules. If A&M is on top of the SEC he'll be "clean" the whole season. If they stumble he'll be "guilty" sometime around mid-season.

But your idea that what's holding them up is a lack of evidence? That's almost funny. The NCAA has all the power here, they can do whatever they want and always have. That's why Dez Bryant lost a whole season for lying about a meal.

Just more speculation and lack of real proof. If Manziel isn't suspended, it won't be hypocritical because they just didn't have any direct proof of him receiving the money.

And I don't believe it's the brokers themselves that are coming out saying he was paid. Just witnesses and "sources."

There's zero evidence of cash payment. Where am I denying the NCAA isn't a joke? I'm just stating the Newton case is a decent parallel.

Former Auburn players claiming Newton was paid=witnesses and sources claiming Manziel was paid

Zero evidence came about. If Manziel is suspended with zero evidence, they'll be hypocritical since Newton was innocent as well.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:29 AM   #30
irondarts

There's been a lot of interesting QB competitions going on for some big name programs.

Cal has named true freshman Jared Goff as their starting QB.

Tennessee has named Junior Justin Worley as their starting QB.

Pittsburgh has named former Rutgers and Arizona QB Tom Savage as their starting QB.

Cody Kessler and Max Wittek are locked in a tight QB competition for USC, with Kessler being the reported favorite to win the job right now.
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: